MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugenerd

I thought I would update the stats for the player of the year candidates I mentioned midway through the season:
JB= Jimmy Bartolotta (MIT), ACol = Antoine Coleman (WPI), CJ = Craig Johnson (CGA) , ACop = Anthony Coppola (WHE), and KM = Kyle McDonald (Babson)

JB          ACol         CJ              ACop              KM
PPG: 23.9 (1)   14.2 (6)   14.6 (5)     20.0 (2)      15.1 (4)
RPG:  5.8 (9)     6.1 (7)     8.7 (2)       NR               NR
FG%: 53.3 (5) 48.1 (10)  56.6 (3)     50.6 (7)      50.2 (8.)
APG:  4.0 (2)      NR         1.78 (15)    NR               3.0 (5)
FT%: 80.5 (5)     NR            NR        74.7 (10)       74.3 (12)
SPG:  2.33 (2)  1.48 (8.)   1.26 (13)  1.08 (12)         NR
3P%: 41.5 (5)     NR           NR         47.2 (2)          47.3 (1)
3PM:  2.46 (3)     NR           NR         3.40 (1)         1.72 (8.)
BPG:  0.96 (6)  0.52 (12)     NR            NR                 NR
A/T:  1.01 (4)       NR           NR           NR               0.69 (5)
OReb:1.71 (13) 2.30 (6)  2.30 (6)        NR                  NR
DReb:4.04 (8.)   4.10 (9)   6.44 (1)      NR              3.44 (15)

Again, JB is ranked in all 12 categories. ACol in 7, CJ in 7, ACop in 6 and KM in 8.  JB is ranked top 5 in 8 categories, ACol in 0 categories, CJ in 4 categories, ACop in 3 categories and KM in 4 categories.  Note, Marke Alexander of Clark is also ranked in 6 categories, but only 2 in the top 5: he is 3rd in ppg (16.2) and 5th in steals (1.71).

bdugan26

I've followed NEWMAC basketball very closely this year and seen every team play at least once, most I've seen play twice or more.  Based on what I've seen this is my break down of the end of season awards. Im not sure of the exact format the lague does, but heres my breakdown :

POY- Jimmy Bartalotta (MIT)
NEWMAC 1st team
Kyle McDonald (Babson)
Anthony Coppolla (Wheaton)
Jeff Prebeck (Coast Guard)
Antoine Coleman (WPI)

Second Team
Craig Johnson- Coast Guard
Mark Alexander- Clark
Jamaal Gibbs- Springfield
Al Sowers- Coast Guard
Hamidou Soumare- MIT

Honorable Mention : Zach Etten (Babson) Jerome Kirkland (WPI) Peter Normandin(Clark) Greg Daly (Springfield)

Rookie of the Year: Coppolla

I'm not solely basing this on stats, but what each player did for their team and with their surrounding cast...

NEballer

I don't really see how JB couldn't be the POY. I've seen every team play at least once and a few twice and he is the best player I have seen.

Hugenerd

The only reason he may not get it is MITs bad finish to the year.  The same thing happened last year when WPI was #1 in the conference and Ryan Cain got the award, while JB had the best numbers again.  The numbers were closer last year though, this year he has the best numbers by far.

Hugenerd

They just announced the awards:

NEWMAC Athlete of the Year:

Antoine Coleman, WPI

NEWMAC Rookie of the Year:

Anthony Coppola, Wheaton College

NEWMAC Coach of the Year:

Chris Bartley, WPI

NEWMAC Sportsmanship Award:

Clark University

FIRST TEAM ALL-CONFERENCE

Kyle McDonald, Babson

Craig Johnson, Coast Guard

Jimmy Bartolotta, MIT

Al Sowers, Coast Guard

Antoine Coleman, WPI

SECOND TEAM ALL-CONFERENCE

Mark Alexander, Clark

Jeff Prebeck, Coast Guard

Jamaal Gibbs, Springfield

Anthony Coppola, Wheaton

Jim Marois, WPI

Hugenerd

I guess that i cant say that I am surprised by the choices, although I disagree with a few.  When your team loses 8 straight, ends the year with a losing record, and is tied for last in the league, you cant be surprised with any decision.  If they had finished top 3, the POY may have been different and Dou Soumare would probably have made first team all league with the same numbers (he was 8th in scoring, 2nd in FG%, 1st in rebounding, 1st in offensive rebounds, 2nd in defensive rebounds, 1st in blocked shots, and 10th in steals).

Hugenerd

According to the mit website, Bartolotta lost the POY in a tiebreaker, here is an excerpt:

"Junior Jimmy Bartolotta was MIT's lone representative on the all-conference teams, earning his second consecutive first team selection. The two-time and reigning NEWMAC scoring champion lost his bid for Player of the Year for the second time under eerily similar circumstances. After Bartolotta and Coleman finished the voting tied for the conference's most prestigious individual honor, the remaining five coaches conducted a second vote to determine the Player of the Year. Bartolotta was on the wrong end of another 3-2 decision that enabled WPI to hang on to the league's top individual award. After guiding WPI to the regular-season NEWMAC Championship, Ryan Cain was named Player of the Year in 2007."

baseballguy

I figured Coleman would win.  It is not always about stats when choosing the POY.  Coaches like all the other stuff as well, the intangibles(toughness, winner, etc...) and I think the coaches vote for the awards not stat geeks.

Hugenerd

Well according to you, half the coaches are stat geeks, because the vote was tied after the first vote.  We will see how he stacks up in the regional and all-american voting with his 14 and 6.

Pat Coleman

Unless they allow a split vote (half Coleman/half Bartolotta) then neither one actually got half. I'm not a huge nerd, just an average nerd, but I know that half of an odd number is not a whole number.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bdugan26

Quote from: hugenerd on March 04, 2008, 08:55:31 PM
Well according to you, half the coaches are stat geeks, because the vote was tied after the first vote.  We will see how he stacks up in the regional and all-american voting with his 14 and 6.

We'll also see how his 14 and 6 stack up in the NCAA tournament ;)

Hugenerd

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 04, 2008, 09:43:04 PM
Unless they allow a split vote (half Coleman/half Bartolotta) then neither one actually got half. I'm not a huge nerd, just an average nerd, but I know that half of an odd number is not a whole number.

You know what I mean.  I know there are 7 teams.  I believe the tiebreaker, effectively, was asking the 5 coaches, other than MIT and WPI, to vote on JB or AC, and he lost 3-2. 

Hugenerd

Quote from: bdugan26 on March 04, 2008, 10:14:38 PM
Quote from: hugenerd on March 04, 2008, 08:55:31 PM

We'll also see how his 14 and 6 stack up in the NCAA tournament ;)

We will see.  My guess is that they dont get out of the first round, but Ive been wrong before.

pridefan

Congrats to Coast Guard as NEWMAC champs and to members of the NEWMAC POY, 1st, and 2nd teams. wow - POY voting sure kept the controversy going between JB and AC!

I must rally to the defense of Springfield (hey I am Pridefan) and question why they weren't better represented beyond Gibbs.  Nothing against Prebeck, but just check his NEWMAC only stats (their non-conference schedule is a cupcake compared to Springfield ( Williams, Trinity, RIC twice..) and he trails Daly for example in almost every category(who led the Pride in scoring,rebounding,blocked shots,FT's) and who outplayed Prebeck handily in their matchups.

Oh well, glad NEWMAC has 2 teams in the dance and wish them well!

clarkie

It always seems somewhat strange to me that a team that was not completely dominant in the conference could have three representatives. With that being said, congrats to all those that won.

I would have given my vote to Jimmy Bartolotta, but maybe if he wins the Jostens than this whole debate can be mollified.

It certainly was a good year for the NEWMAC.