FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazzben

Quote from: USee on October 28, 2014, 09:22:57 AM
I am all for making the "run for the bell" a legislated part of the winning ceremony. Maybe they put the bell in one endzone on display for all fans,etc to see and the winning team runs for it at the final buzzer.

I think you leave it on the bench of the team that won the previous year. This is what the B1G does with the Little Brown Jug, Paul Bunyan's Ax, etc. It's fun watching the players sprint over and take it back. It really gives a visual sense to a team 'reclaiming the trophy.'

USee

Quote from: hazzben on October 28, 2014, 01:08:23 PM
I am all for making the "run for the bell" a legislated part of the winning ceremony. Maybe they put the bell in one endzone on display for all fans,etc to see and the winning team runs for it at the final buzzer.

I think you leave it on the bench of the team that won the previous year. This is what the B1G does with the Little Brown Jug, Paul Bunyan's Ax, etc. It's fun watching the players sprint over and take it back. It really gives a visual sense to a team 'reclaiming the trophy.'

Even better! Consider it done.

79jaybird

I think a traveling trophy like the Cortaca Jug (one of my personal favorites) indeed, should be visible and on a bench/stool/etc.  readily available for the winning team to grab.  As long as the team is civil and respectful, I have no problem with the team hustling over to grab the hardware.  As we know, football is a spirit fueled slugfest, thus when you do achieve the goal and win,  may as well celebrate the reached goal.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

kiko

FWIW, I don't see a need to set a protocol for how to hand over the bell at this point.  If there was animosity or any sort of underlying hostility between the two teams, that'd be another story (sort of like what Wally described).  But there is a lot of mutual respect between the two programs, which is why I think nobody on the Cardinal sideline took exception when the Wheaties stormed their castle and made off with the bell.

As much as I was disappointed in the final scoreline, I really liked that there were a number of Cardinals on the perimeter of the Wheaton victory mob at midfield seeking to congratulate the opposing side on the win.  Next year, I hope we give Wheaton a chance to show the same sportsmanship. :)

USee

SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU ARE AN NCC FAN SKIP THIS POST: ;D

In case you missed it, here is the video clip of Sam Cote's game winner and ensuing mayhem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp-PAJOu3c0#t=18

NCF

Quote from: USee on October 29, 2014, 12:21:39 AM
SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU ARE AN NCC FAN SKIP THIS POST: ;D

In case you missed it, here is the video clip of Sam Cote's game winner and ensuing mayhem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp-PAJOu3c0#t=18

No matter which team you root for, it's still a great video and captures the pure joy and emotions of the game! :)
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

USee

Also some interesting comments from Swider about the NCC game and the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnUYaqQEMy0

USee

So there are obvious implications of the remaining games. The contenders have the following games remaining:

Elmhurst: vs Wheaton, @Millikin, vs. NCC

NCC: vs IWU, vs Augie, @Elmhurst

Wheaton: @Elmhurst, vs. IWU, @Carthage

Wheaton and Elmhurst control their own destiny. If either wins out, they are the AQ. Wheaton has a small chance at a Pool C if they finish 9-1 (don't count on it). So here is what I think are the scenarios for each team's playoff chances:

Elmhurst: Win out and get AQ, Beat Wheaton and lose to NCC by less than they beat Wheaton and they get the AQ. If Wheaton beats Elmhurst and loses last two games then winner of NCC/Elmhurst is AQ. No chance at Pool C

NCC: Hope Elmhurst beats Wheaton and the beat Elmhurst by more than 3. Otherwise need Wheaton to lose last 2 games and then they need to beat Elmhurst. at 8-2 better chance than Wheaton at Pool C (due to strong SOS)

Wheaton: Win out and they are AQ. Lose to Elmhurst and they are subject to Elmhurst/NCC pt spread against their margin vs Elmhurst. If Wheaton beats Elmhurst they only need to win 1 of last two for AQ. Small chance at pool C at 9-1 (due to poor SOS relative to other candidates)

wally_wabash

I haven't put a ton of thought into this today because I'm not currently considering Wheaton an at-large team, but previous hypotheticals were about a 9-1 Wheaton without a win against North Central (or any other ranked team) and I think that would have made Wheaton dead in the water.  9-1 Wheaton with that win against North Central is a different deal.  They would be a much, much better at-large candidate now, particularly if North Central wins the league.  I think Wheaton with that quality win would have a better profile than Wittenberg would should Wittenberg lose to Wabash next weekend (Witt is not likely to have any quality wins in their portfolio if they wind up out of Pool A) and I would be inclined to rank Wheaton ahead of Witt which would put Wheaton second in line from the North (presumably behind the UMU/JCU loser) and they'd have a shot at invitation at that point. 

I hope I don't have to revisit that next week.  Win your game on Saturday and get ready for week 12.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

markerickson

Wheaton and NCC will coast with three easy victories each.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

sac

Quote from: hazzben on October 28, 2014, 01:08:23 PM

And a nice hold your breathe moment as the victorious teams sprints for the trophy and you hope they don't drop a 110 year old clay jug. :)

79jaybird

or the monon bell that weighs a ton too.  Elmhurst definitely has to capture the AQ for them to be in the post season.  Elmhurst has to decide it on the field and execute.  Good thing is both games are home.  Also- best not to overlook Millikin on the road, between the WC/NC games.  Lindsay field (historically) has been a tough place for Elmhurst to get a W.

AndOne

Quote from: USee on October 29, 2014, 05:42:24 PM
So there are obvious implications of the remaining games. The contenders have the following games remaining:

Elmhurst: vs Wheaton, @Millikin, vs. NCC

NCC: vs IWU, vs Augie, @Elmhurst

Wheaton: @Elmhurst, vs. IWU, @Carthage

Wheaton and Elmhurst control their own destiny. If either wins out, they are the AQ. Wheaton has a small chance at a Pool C if they finish 9-1 (don't count on it). So here is what I think are the scenarios for each team's playoff chances:

Elmhurst: Win out and get AQ, Beat Wheaton and lose to NCC by less than they beat Wheaton and they get the AQ. If Wheaton beats Elmhurst and loses last two games then winner of NCC/Elmhurst is AQ. No chance at Pool C

NCC: Hope Elmhurst beats Wheaton and the beat Elmhurst by more than 3. Otherwise need Wheaton to lose last 2 games and then they need to beat Elmhurst. at 8-2 better chance than Wheaton at Pool C (due to strong SOS)u

Wheaton: Win out and they are AQ. Lose to Elmhurst and they are subject to Elmhurst/NCC pt spread against their margin vs Elmhurst. If Wheaton beats Elmhurst they only need to win 1 of last two for AQ. Small chance at pool C at 9-1 (due to poor SOS relative to other candidates)

Thanks USee. Good stuff.

It seems that, for at least this weekend, birds will flock together as many Cardinalis cardinalis fans from Naperville will fly a wing position in support of their Cyanocitta cristata breatheran from Elmhurst as they attempt to repel the invading, crusading horde from Wheaton.  ???   ;)8-)   ;D

It appears doubtful that Wheaton will lose either of it's last 2 games. Therefore, in addition to winning out, including beating EC by > 3 points, NCC must hope that EC can earn a home W over WC on Sat.

79jaybird

For EC to win vs. Wheaton, the Jays have to play a near flawless game and hope Wheaton can make some mistakes.  Going back to 2012, I recall a few calls were favorable to Elmhurst in that win.

Can Elmhurst do it?  Possibly, but Elmhurst really has to have a quality showing. 

iwu70

Ypsi, P graph piece says Warner still uncertain for this week vs. NCC.  Bolden will be back after his surgery.  Not sure who will be the QB.  Two very tough road games for the Titans now.  I'd think NCC would be a 2-3 TD favorite this weekend at home.  More on Warner if I hear anything.

Sadly, 5-5 or 4-6 very likely now.  Not a stellar season for our Greenies.

Basketball comes soon -- about two weeks 'til tip-off, Titans away at Benedictine on the 15th.  A promising season awaits.

IWU70