MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HollandKnight

Quote from: sac on October 23, 2014, 12:29:45 PM
Quote from: HollandKnight on October 23, 2014, 12:15:22 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 23, 2014, 11:45:33 AM
If you want to spit cola out through your nose, the D3hoops preseason poll is out:

http://t.co/FdvKVwQ9Tv

Calvin #6.
I would have to say that my nose is completely cola-less, but I am slightly surprised. Looking at there schedule, I saw a solid 21-4. I saw the Ohio Wesleyan, Cornerstone, Hope at the Devos and a toss up between Carthage or Wheaton as loses. The DIII experts may not be totally insane on this one.

Ripon and Oshkosh won't be pushovers, but Calvin should have at least 7 wins wins going into conference play.  I might even bump that to nine.

OWU lost its #2, 3 and 4 scorers, they have some holes to fill like Calvin.
I agree with you, those teams you mentioned aren't pushovers but this is a Calvin team that has the ability to beat those teams. That's the magic of making predictions. :P
Owner of the 2013 Post of The Year voted by HopeConvert

HopeConvert

Magic, alchemy, phrenology, astrology - call it what you will. Preseason polls are usually made on the basis of last season's results. Calvin lost the MIAA POY, and he won't be easily replaced. My guess is that they are likely to win the league this year, but 6 seems awfully high to me.

I am eagerly anticipating watching Hope this year. For the first time in decades, I trust, we will see different offensive and defensive sets than what we, and opposing coaches, have grown accustomed to. I don't know how different Mitchell's system will be, or how quickly the players will adapt, but I assume that's going to be a bit of a wild card this year.
One Mississippi, Two Mississippi...

sac

I came across this video awhile back, this is the 2013 Michigan Class C boys semi-final between Laingsburg and Negaunee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KxXlCg3kS0

Both the coaches in this game will be starting their first season coaching in college this year.  Greg Mitchell at Hope, Mike O'Donnell at Finlandia, and their respective alma maters.

Interesting.

Civic Minded

Quote from: sac on October 24, 2014, 01:51:58 PM
I came across this video awhile back, this is the 2013 Michigan Class C boys semi-final between Laingsburg and Negaunee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KxXlCg3kS0

Both the coaches in this game will be starting their first season coaching in college this year.  Greg Mitchell at Hope, Mike O'Donnell at Finlandia, and their respective alma maters.

Interesting.

Very.

Also interesting to me was that, in the video clip, Laingsburg had the presence of mind to make one extra pass to get the easiest bucket.  With the clock running down fast, that's not something you'd usually see, especially at the high school level.
2014 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion  :)

sac

Steve Bell @BankHoops

Dordt College in Iowa continues working the Westside, lands bouncy 6-8 forward Austin Bykerk from Hudsonville Unity Christian.

Flying Dutch Fan

2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

sac

AndOne

Anybody know anything about an Olivet-Illinois Wesleyan scrimmage?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: AndOne on October 29, 2014, 10:57:43 PM

I'm sure they probably scrimmaged Olivet Nazarene, not Olivet College.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AndOne

Entirely possible, even likely. I was just asked via an e-mail if I heard anything about the results of a scrimmage between IWU and Olivet. I hadn't, so I thought I would ask the board. Seemed odd, but last year IWU traveled to Winona, MN for an exhibition, so I thought maybe. ;)

Pat Coleman

Yeah, but an exhibition is a game and I'm sure IWU got paid. (Plus they got a W.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Flying Dutch Fan

MIAA Coaches meeting (conference call - hey, that's kind of funny, a conference conference call) is this morning.  Guessing we will see the coaches poll announced sometime today.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

AndOne

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 29, 2014, 11:04:17 PM
Quote from: AndOne on October 29, 2014, 10:57:43 PM

I'm sure they probably scrimmaged Olivet Nazarene, not Olivet College.

Nazarene it was.  :)