Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank uible

As I recall, Carnegie Tech played Case Institute in the 40s. I'm going to the archives for clarification.

ADL70

And the rivalry actually goes back to CWRU's first season 1970, it just got a name more recently.  The overall series is 26-11 CMU.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

frank uible

Carnegie Mellon's archives show that Carnegie Mellon (or its predecessor, Carnegie Tech) has played Case or WRU or CWRU starting in 1906, off and on and never Case or WRU in the same year. CMU's record vs. Case is 10-10-0, vs. WRU 8-1-0 and vs. CWRU 26-11-0.

old ends

did not see this mentioned anywhere, if it has sorry about that.
Nice article about D III football student, athlete, and work.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/local_colleges/D-III_Footballs_purest_form.html

enjoy

Ralph Turner

Quote from: old ends on November 07, 2008, 08:40:25 PM

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/local_colleges/D-III_Footballs_purest_form.html

enjoy
Pat had this on the front page earlier in the season.   ;)

http://www.publish2.com/journalists/pat-coleman/links/d3football

K-Mack

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 07, 2008, 08:51:12 PM
Quote from: old ends on November 07, 2008, 08:40:25 PM

enjoy
Pat had this on the front page earlier in the season.   ;)

http://www.publish2.com/journalists/pat-coleman/links/d3football

It's still out there on the right-hand rail, actually. Maybe not for much longer though, as it appears to be the fifth result of the five showing.

Good stuff though.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

2sportdevil

On the subject of Carnegie Tech vs Case, my memory tells me that Case hosted Carnegie Tech for homecoming. If I remember correctly it must have been in the early '50's. My memory isn't very clear for the '40's.

K-Mack

Did we ever determine exactly what happened between the submission of the bracket with Wartburg at Occidental and Aurora at Willamette to ESPN, where Pat saw it, and the final bracket with Oxy going to Oregon?

I am curious if the committee submits their final bracket to someone who has veto power or does a cost-analysis, and do they do a back-up bracket ... or if that was just a mistake.

I would like to speak knowledgeably about this later in the week.

I will write Dick Kaiser directly and ask Pat what he knows, but thought I would post here in case it was on any of the shows and anyone in the general public knows. Sometimes that's the fastest way to get an answer.

KMc.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

I usually don't put e-mailers on blast, but this kind fellow specifically asked me to circulate his, so I'll oblige:

Quote-------------- Original message --------------

"So, yeah, enjoy that home game"...WOW, way to disrespect a good team with a good tradition.  As a father who has seen his son make the playoffs in each of the last four years, and watch as Hobart wins the league 3 of the last four years, I struggle with the fact that all you guys can do is regurgitate Mt. Union's praise.  If you people could do more than just spit-up the Mt. Union bile, you might be more than a second rate journalist.

Oh yeah,  the above holds true for those other brainiacs Ryan, Frank, and Pat.  If you see them please tell them for me.

This is what you guys sound like..."Blah, Blah, Blah....Mt. Union"...."Blah, Blah, Blah...Mt. Union"

Here is my response to him:

QuoteMr. Riggi,
I re-read the paragraph in question on account of your e-mail and I stand by all of it.

I will make sure the others see your note.

Good luck tomorrow,

Keith McMillan
National Columnist
Keith@D3football.com

Certainly I could have said more, but he didn't seem ready for a rational conversation, as parents of a player often are not.

I don't like to give e-mails like this too much credence with a response, although posed differently, I would certainly be glad to have this discussion.

Was I dimissive of Hobart's chances should they earn a game at Mount Union? Yes.

Do I regret that? No.

As we often must remind folks, we are on Mount Union's jock because they have earned it. Well, let me replace "we" with "I" and not speak for the other guys.

Let me remind anyone reading that my own alma mater, a team I would like to see win more than any other, goes to Mount Union this weekend. Was I dismissive of their chances too? Yes.

Not because I think it's fun to all hail Mount Union and knock whoever plays them. Because they really do have very little chance of winning. I have been doing this for 11 years now, eight or nine with D3football.com, and it's been proven over time that Mount Union is not very vulnerable to the type of teams they play in the first three rounds. Semifinals and Stagg Bowl, possibly.

If proven wrong, I would gladly give respect where it is due, even retroactively, and admit that I was very wrong.

Should anyone want to have a rational discussion, the floor is open.

I realize it's not comforting to hear that Mount Union is very likely going to kick the crap out of your favorite squad, son's team, alma mater, etc.

But even a second-rate journalist knows the difference between doing your readers a service by calling it like you see it and doing them a disservice by lying to them outright.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

DutchFan2004

I am glad you used often instead of always.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Play with Passion  Coach Ron Schipper

K-Mack

Quote from: DutchFan2004 on November 21, 2008, 09:48:53 PM
I am glad you used often instead of always.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

I might be second-rate, but I'm not stupid.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Pat Coleman

Agreed. We are not here to lay false hope on people. There's a reason that Mount Union has been to the quarterfinals 15 years in a row and the semifinals 13 years in a row. The Purple Raiders actually ARE that good.

And if you don't believe so, go out there and prove otherwise.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MajorDad

Keith,
I agree whole-heartedly with your response and attitude. Those of us who have sons on teams within DIII, the Alums who follow their alma mater religiously, do, on occassion like reading positive stories about their team, who doesn't? No one wants to hear that their team is going to get steam rolled this coming Saturday. But I, as a fan, would rather hear the real story on chances for victory. Sometimes, that makes it that much sweeter..........Thats why we call them upsets!!!!!!!!

Keep doing what you and the others do, appreciate it!

pumkinattack

As you are no doubt aware, the other Hobart fans, alums and parents all love and appreciate your work (wouldn't mind a couple of front page or feature stories, but that makes us like 95% of the other schools site users I would suppose).  

I can't defend the Mr. Riggi, but I suppose its better that he's passionate (rational - not so much) than disinterested in the long run.  He just doesn't know about schools outside of our region (or probably off the schedule for that matter).  

I'm heading to the game and just checked the weather and its supposed to be snow a little and a high of 22 ("feels like 13") according to weather.com.  For anyone following the Hobart game, I just saw the game notes (http://www.hwsathletics.com/documents/2008/11/21/Lyco.pdf) which list FR Doug Vella as the #1 and not Doyle, so that will be interesting.  Vella is talented and showed it with +/- 120 yards in the 4th quarter vs. RPI, but struggled against U of R in the mudpit.

HScoach

Hopefully Hobart can take care of business today so that Dad can see first hand what The Machine is capable of ;)

Keith, Pat, etc:  I think you guys do a great job of focusing on everything except Mount Union thru the regular season to spread the D3.com love around the best you can.  Come playoff time, the focus has to switch to those 32 teams that made the dance.  And it's only natural that those teams higher up the foodchain get more of the "pre-playoff love".  If someone beats the 600 lb gorilla at the top of the East bracket, then I'm sure they'll get the attention they deserve.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.