FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Let's do tight ends, best of, 2004-2013.  Shorter write ups on these guys because I'm not as well versed in tight ends and it's tough to track down career stat rankings for these guys. 

Frank Roe, Denison (2002-2005) –Three time all-conference selection (HM 2003, 2nd team 2004 and 2005). 

Greg Peltz, Wooster (2003-2006) – HM 2005, 1st team 2006

Danny Enright, Oberlin (2008-2011) – 1st team 2011, HM 2010

This is a tough position to judge because TEs aren't really a huge part of anybody's offense and I'm not line-savvy enough to know which of these guys were excellent in pass/rush blocking.  Ironic given that the best receiver in NCAC history was a TE (in the loosest sense of the word).  Cagney from OWU is probably going to wind up with a big career stat line, but IMO he's less of a TE than even Short was.  I think Bost from Wabash is on his way to a tremendous career as well.  Anyway, I think my pick for TE from 2004-2013 is Danny Enright.  Great combo of size and hands and was a serious matchup problem for even the best defenses in the league, moreso than anybody else on the list of finalists. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

Quote from: medicine man on January 23, 2013, 10:35:57 AM
For Wooster

Richie McNally was phenomenal.

McNallie was very good, but he didn't make my list of finalists because he was only a first team selection one time (the rest were selected to the first team multiple times) and the other guys on the list were either THE guy or very close to THE guy.  Nobody in league history has had a better distraction to a defense than McNallie had.  Wide receiver was a very deep group with a lot of fantastic players. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

medicine man

Makes Sense.  I only saw him his senior year.  He was afraid of nothing, I remember him making some phenomenal catches. 

sigma one

Kralich from Wittenberg was a pretty good combo tight end, though maybe a bit below those on your list, Wally.

wally_wabash

Any updates from Wooster?  How did the slide shows go last week?

FightinScot

The search committee is making a recommendation to the president today. Should have a decision soon... hopefully.

medicine man

Nothing from Wooster yet?  Anyone????

Li'l Giant

It feels like we're all waiting on a baby to be delivered.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

medicine man

It does....  :-\.. seems to be taking a while........

medicine man

If the recommendation was made to the President on Monday have they probably notified their choice and are negotiating with him?  What is going on at this point?

sigma one

If the recommendation was made to the Wooster president on Monday, any number of things might be going on.  Among them:  the president is slow in responding (is he in town?) because of any number of factors, including wanting personally to talk more with the recommended candidate (up to having the candidate sit down with him in person); a disagreement between the president and the committe on the recommendation or some hesitation about the recommendation that makes the president and the committee chair (or the entire comittee) remain in discussion; negotiations with the candidate; the president's having to discuss the appointment with the Chair of the Board of Trustees (or whatever Wooster calls its governing group); a late cold-feet hesitation on the candidate's part (yes, it does happen, though rarely).  I can think of other, more unlikely factors, not worthy of mention.   
     We are now at Feb. 1, almost, and recruiting season is rapidly passing.  But if the staff is doing a good job, that might be OK.   

medicine man

Well 3 staff members are gone so that does create a problem I am sure.  Thank you for your answer.

wally_wabash

If we go back to Wabash's coaching transition in 2007, Coach Creighton resigned right before Christmas and Coach Raeburn was announced in mid-February.  Now, Coach Schmitz resigned on Dec. 12, and it would seem like an announcement is imminent.  The timeline is pretty much identical.  It seems like it's taking forever, but this is probably about par for the course at the D-III level. 

formerd3db

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 30, 2013, 09:45:05 PM
If we go back to Wabash's coaching transition in 2007, Coach Creighton resigned right before Christmas and Coach Raeburn was announced in mid-February.  Now, Coach Schmitz resigned on Dec. 12, and it would seem like an announcement is imminent.  The timeline is pretty much identical.  It seems like it's taking forever, but this is probably about par for the course at the D-III level.

In having followed this discussion here for awhile and then seeing today's posts, I was thinking the exact same thing today, Wally. +k to you for a good memory and good analysis! :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

medicine man

Announcement to be this morning,  anytime.