Bryce Harper

Started by RSSmith, June 16, 2009, 11:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSSmith

It's too bad that Bryce Harper is quitting high school.  He won't  be able to play dIII baseball.

"When big Bryce Harper made the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks ago, I knew we'd soon again be hearing from the 16-year-old 'chosen one.'

But not quite this soon.

On Sunday, the sophomore from Las Vegas found his way into national headlines again when his father announced that Bryce will forgo his final two years of high school and use a GED to enroll in a community college this August. Though it more or less makes a mockery of our education system, the Harpers' plan would make Bryce eligible for the 2010 draft, where he could conceivably be the Nationals' No. 1 pick and eventually join forces with Stephen Strasburg to save Washington baseball from itself."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Why-I-mostly-support-Bryce-Harper-s-decision-to-?urn=mlb,170270

His plan might be thwarted by Nevada law which requires an applicant for a GED to be 18 years old.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

Ralph Turner

He moves to a state (preferably a southern state with good juco baseball) and plays ball there.

I don't know the GED rules in Texas, but San Jacinto College in Houston is a possibility.  It is a JUCO powerhouse in baseball.

(Home-schooled kids in Texas frequently take the GED, so they can go on to college.  I'll bet that a 16-year-old can sit for the exam.)

My sister-in-law is a high school Spanish teacher.  She laments how much the high school curriculum has been "dumbed" down.

RSSmith

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 16, 2009, 11:41:30 AM
He moves to a state (preferably a southern state with good juco baseball) and plays ball there.

I don't know the GED rules in Texas, but San Jacinto College in Houston is a possibility.  It is a JUCO powerhouse in baseball.

(Home-schooled kids in Texas frequently take the GED, so they can go on to college.  I'll bet that a 16-year-old can sit for the exam.)

My sister-in-law is a high school Spanish teacher.  She laments how much the high school curriculum has been "dumbed" down.

Texas requires that an applicant be 18 (or 17 with parental approval). I would guess that parental approval is not an issue in this kid's case.  I'm a high school English teacher.  I agree with your sister-in-law.

Jim Dixon

For all we know, Harper is able to do college work at 16.  I was taking a few college courses at that age.

The problem is how playing at the JC level will effect him physically.  Others will have to chime in on the effects of throwing a baseball as the player is still developing.

If there are no side effects, I am all in favor of a person advancing to the next level asap as long as the body is able physically, the mind is able mentally and the person has the maturity to handle the situation.

Purple Heys

In this case, IMHO, this is a very shrewd move...Further down the road, early entry into the pros means he becomes an investment..one that will be developed for the long haul...innings managed, skills developed, not overused for the sake of winning a HS section or College Division title.

Still the pressure on this kid is now more than any other kid his age has ever seen.  Good luck kid.

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Ralph Turner

Bryce Harper goes 6-for-6 with 4 HR's in the Western District (NJCAA) Title Game to lead College of Southern Nevada to a 25-11 win over Central Arizona.

He is also on the cover of Baseball America this week.

CCIWFAN6

Bryce Harper's season line through 62 games.

Avg: .442, Runs: 88, 2b: 22, 3b: 4, HR: 29, RBI: 89, Slg: .986, OBP: .524, SB: 18

College of Southern Nevada participates in a wood bat conference. Pretty impressive for a 17 year old kid.

mideastfan2

can't wait to see him play at the next level...there hasn't been an offensive talent like him in the draft in quite awhile (Josh Hamilton comes to mind).

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AivPzOsihh6RGQruHkV7NTI5nYcB?slug=ti-harper053110

RSSmith

Harper goes to the Nats with the first pick in the 2010 draft.  Looks like I'll get a chance to see him play.

OshDude

Nearly everyone from Southern Nevada has been drafted. Funny how that works.

CrashDavisD3

2010 No. 1 overall pick Bryce Harper was named the 2010 "Golden Spikes Award" winner as the country's top amateur player

The 17-year-old sensation batted .443 with 31 homers and 98 RBIs in 66 games at the College of Southern Nevada this season. Harper becomes just the second Golden Spikes Award winner from a junior college; the other being Alex Fernandez in 1990. He beat out Mississippi pitcher Drew Pomeranz, Miami catcher Yasmani Grandal, and Florida Gulf Coast pitcher Chris Sale and Central Florida outfielder Chris Duffy for the honor.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

SJSUPhil

Just wanted to say it's ten years later and people are still talking about Bryce Harper. But his stats sure dropped off when he left DC for the Phillies.

Ithaca798891

Quote from: SJSUPhil on April 12, 2020, 10:19:17 PM
Just wanted to say it's ten years later and people are still talking about Bryce Harper. But his stats sure dropped off when he left DC for the Phillies.

Bryce Harper career in Washington

.279/.388/.512

Bryce Harper in 2019

.260/.372/.510

Not much of a drop off