WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

To be honest, I didn't even realize Coach left.

Looks like she resigned back in April...don't think that its even made the D3Hoops news circuit.

Doesn't even appear to be any release from Colby in all this time...kind of strange.

Now working for a NFP in Boston apparently.

Wish her all the best.

Got to see her several times while she was at Drew & she did a really nice job.

gordonmann

Yeah, we saw that the job was open a couple months ago. With no public statement from the school, we decided to make this a one-story transition (i.e. we'll post something when the job gets filled).

cantdothat

Colby search reopened. Opening turned down by a top choice?

ronk

Among the NESCAC incoming frosh:

Maggie Shipley  6-0   SG            Yorktown(VA)                                   Amherst

Jenna Berens      6-0   F          Hamden Hall(CT)                                 Bates

Madison Szabo    6-4   P         Middletown South(NJ)                           Wesleyan(CT)

Maggie Russell     6-0   F       Kent Place School(NJ)                            Tufts

cantdothat

Colby College Names Chenel Harris-Smith New Head Women's Basketball Coach

amh63

ronk...thanks for the info.
Not so sure wrt your position terms.  Amherst has a 6' shooting guard?  The Cardinals have a 6'4" ...P?  Was this to be a Forward?  Wes could use a Center, imho :).

ronk

P for post player or the equivalent of the center position for the Wesleyan player.
The Amherst player(SG or W) will be playing on the perimeter as opposed to on the baseline or in the paint for a forward.

gordonmann

Top 25 released with some familiar names atop the rankings:

https://www.d3hoops.com/top25/women/2019-20/preseason

This was the toughest preseason ballot in a long time. I considered about six teams for No. 1 before picking Tufts, narrowly over Scranton and Amherst.

amh63

gordonmann...must be a tough day! :)  Your post does not agree wrt the Noted poll.  Amherst is listed at the top.....not Tufts.

ronk

Gordon will probably say that his vote is only 1 of 25, although I would consider it the most meaningful. Was hoping that Amherst & Scranton would be playing each other in Vegas in Dec but someone(s) declined to have it happen.

gordonmann

Yeah, I was just commenting on my own ballot.

I looked at Amherst, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Scranton, Tufts, Wartburg and even George Fox as potential No. 1 teams. I didn't look at Bowdoin long because they have to replace three really big pieces, though I like Sela Kay a lot and respect Coach Shibles as a recruiter.

Mary Hardin-Baylor's athleticism captivates me, but I don't know how to measure them relative to other programs because of their strength-of-schedule.

After going around and around, I realized I had to pick someone and chose Tufts. But it was nice to have a lot of choices.

I'm really looking forward to the season and the D3hoops classic (which I hope to attend). George Fox and Claremont are there, too.

NE Jeffs Fan

Amherst seemed to start the season in the past hosting a tourney of 3 other NE teams.   Is it a scheduling issue? 

amh63

NE Jeffs fan....yes and no :).  Women side...same HC plus new assist.  Men's side...HC is on leave, top assist is the interim HC, plus two  assistants.  Schedule starts with a single game...then the Ken Wright two game tournament at Amherst follows.  Team goes to a new D3 tournament in Naples Florida later.  Out of state opponents in Florida, I recall.  Women's team ranked no. 1 and men's team in the top ten.  Maybe opponents do not want to chalk up a lost early in the season :).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The season is underway, so it is about time we get Hoopsville on the air.

Most Division III basketball teams have finally tipped up their first games. That means there is plenty to talk about on Hoopsville!

Sunday, Dave debuts the show for its 17th season live in studio - with plenty of changes in the offseason. We chat about the changes not only in studio, but around the game. Plus, we talk to the preseason D3hoops.com No. 1 teams - Amherst and Swarthmore.

And what do some of the gurus of D3 basketball think about the start so far and the season ahead? Bob Quillman and Ryan Scott join Dave for the first Top 25 Double-Take.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Sunday's show LIVE here: www.d3hoopsville.com.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- G.P. Gromacki, No. 1 Amherst women's head coach
- Landry Kosmalski, No. 1 Swarthmore men's head coach
- Bob Quillman & Ryan Scott, Top 25 Double-Take

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on iHeartRadio and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

ronk....your post here wrt an Amherst recruit from Virginia...Shipley...proved that you can spot talent.
Shipley played almost "starter" minutes today.  She played well in here 21 min. On the court.  Maybe her coach will cite her on Hoopsville  tonight ;).