MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Hopkins is upset again and falls out of the national rankings.

Leo

Terrorizer24

With Hopkins struggling, the conference tourny looks to be wide open?  Any thoughts going into the final weekend?  I see Hopkins, Ursinas, Haverford, Gettysburg and McDaniel.  McDaniel over Gettysburg in the 4-5 game, Ursinas over Haverford in the 2-3 game.  Then McDaniel and Hopkins will battle it out in that semifinal, remember McDaniel defeated Hopkins at Hopkins last week.  Could be very exciting.  Let's hear your thoughts....

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Leo - curious... yes JHU lost... but last I checked the new national rankings don't come out until Monday or Tuesday of next wekk. How are you so sure they will fall out of the rankings?

I'm not saying it won't happen... but you seem sure of yourself!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Terrorizer24

Everyone is sure of this one.  #24 loses to an unranked, sub .500 team, means you drop more than 1 spot, out of the top 25, everyone knows that.  use your head d-mac

Pat Coleman

Yes, but JHU doesn't actually fall out of the national rankings until there are new national rankings voted on. I think that's what he was getting at. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Leo

Any resonable and respectable hoops fan, especially the respectable Mr. Coleman  :) , would agree that Hopkins three losses within the conference would not maintain their national ranking unless the poll voters view the CC as an exceptional conference.

My comment about Hopkins falling out of the national rankings was a scarcastic remark as to whether or not their national ranking was deserved. My past comments indicate where I stand on that issue.

This season has certainly been interesting. A number of teams could win the crown, and I will share my thoughts after this weekend   :).

Leo

Pat Coleman

Well, I didn't think Hopkins should have been ranked either, not on the strength of its victories compared to its bad loss.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

commish

It's the final weekend of regular-season play in men's basketball and playoff spots are still up for grabs.

Gettysburg at Dickinson (Men's Basketball)
The Bullets (11-12, 9-8 CC) are the hottest team in the Conference - winners of nine of their last 12 games - and can wrap up a playoff berth with a victory over the Red Devils (7-16, 5-12). Gettysburg has won five straight in the series to take a 107-66-1 all-time advantage.

McDaniel at Washington (Men's Basketball)
The Green Terror (11-13, 8-9) cannot lock up a spot with a victory over the Shoremen (3-20, 2-15), but cannot get into the playoffs without a victory. McDaniel has won three of the last four from Washington since ending a 14-game losing streak to the Shoremen last season.

Muhlenberg at Ursinus (Men's Basketball)
The Mules (9-14, 8-9) are almost in the same situation as McDaniel - cannot secure a berth with a win but go to the brink of elimination with a loss. The Bears (16-8, 13-4) are the No. 2 seed for the tournament. Ursinus has won six straight from Muhlenberg at Helfferich Hall since a 63-60 Mule triumph in 2000.

Swarthmore at Haverford (Men's Basketball)
As if this rivalry needs more fuel ... the Garnet (11-13, 8-9) needs to beat the Fords (12-11, 11-6) and get some help to qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 1997. Haverford is in the tournament as the No. 3 seed, but would love to knock their arch-rivals out of the playoffs. Swarthmore has won three straight from the Fords for the first time since 1996-97 to take a 90-61 series advantage.

Leo

I would like to extend a sincere congratulation and respect to the McDaniel team for the way they fought and carried Coach Flynn's spirit to the end of the season. We get on the blog and we jab, rant and poke fun at our opponents (and referees). However, the true champions are the McDaniel players who played with their hearts on their sleeves. Coach Flynn is smiling  :) with great pride on how they played.

Leo

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: Leo on February 19, 2007, 09:37:58 AM
I would like to extend a sincere congratulation and respect to the McDaniel team for the way they fought and carried Coach Flynn's spirit to the end of the season. We get on the blog and we jab, rant and poke fun at our opponents (and referees). However, the true champions are the McDaniel players who played with their hearts on their sleeves. Coach Flynn is smiling  :) with great pride on how they played.

Leo

Nice post, Leo.  I think a lot of people were pulling for McDaniel to make the playoffs.  Regardless of how it turned out, the team will be remembered for how it carried through the difficult times.

Playoffs begin tomorrow with Muhlenberg traveling to Gettysburg for the 4-5 game.  Lots of uncertaintly in this year's tournament.  Predictions on All-CC team or playoff results?

Leo

I am giving Gettysburg a slight edge over the Mules tommorrow night. Two reasons: (1) home court advantage, and (2) Gettysburg backcourt is a bit more consistent than the Mules.  If Scott from the Mules is hot, then he could carry them to the next round. However, I give Gettysburg a win by 5.

Leo

commish

It's the opening night of the 2007 Centennial men's basketball tournament with a first-round game scheduled for Bream Gym in Gettysburg.

Muhlenberg at Gettysburg, 7:30
If past history is any indication, this one should be tight and come right down to the wire. The fifth-seeded Mules (10-14, 9-9 CC) travel to Gettysburg to take on the fourth-seeded Bullets (12-12, 10-8) for the right to meet top-seeded Johns Hopkins in the semifinals.  The teams played a pair of overtime games during the regular season with the Mules winning at Bream Gym (67-64) and the Bullets winning at Memorial Hall (71-64).  Gettysburg is 2-0 vs. Muhlenberg in the CC post-season, winning the 2001 title (68-59) and the 2002 semifinal (68-59) - both in Allentown.  This is the 133rd meeting between the schools with 'Berg holding a 70-62 series lead over 'Burg.  Watch the game LIVE on CCTV (http://www.centennial.org/cctv/)  Listen to the game LIVE on WMUH (http://www.muhlenberg.edu/wmuh/realaud.html).  Follow LIVE stats and play-by-play, courtesy of Gettysburg Sports Information (http://gettysburgsports.com/live/mbball/).

commish

2007 All-Centennial Conference Men's Basketball Team
First Team
Pos / Name      Cl   Ht   Hometown / High School
G-Nick Shattuck, Ursinus *   Jr   6-5   Ardsley, PA / La Salle
G-Dan Capkin, Gettysburg (A)   So   6-2   Wynnewood, PA / Lower Merion
F-Matt Griffin, Johns Hopkins (A) *   Sr   6-7   Glen Mills, PA / Penncrest
F-Will Furey, Ursinus %   Sr   6-8   Lansdale, PA / La Salle
F-Danny Nawrocki, Johns Hopkins #   Sr   6-6   Syosset, NY / Chaminade

Second Team
G-T.J. Valerio, Johns Hopkins #   Sr   6-3   Blue Bell, PA / St. Joseph's Prep
G-Chaz Thomas, Haverford   So   6-1   Huntington, NY / Wyandanch Memorial
G-Kizmahr Grell, Dickinson   So   6-0   Laurelton, NY / The Gunnery
F-Joey Breslin, Washington   Sr   6-7   Hagerstown, MD / St. Maria Goretti
F-Ray Brown, Haverford   Sr   6-6   Baltimore, MD / St. Paul's School
F-Ian McCormick, Swarthmore   Jr   6-8   Seattle, WA / University Prep

Honorable Mention
G-Ryan Brandenburg, McDaniel   So   5-9   Mt. Airy, MD / Urbana
G-Matt Kurman, Swarthmore   Jr   6-0   Rockville, MD / Walter Johnson
F-Tom Scott, Muhlenberg (A)   Sr   6-4   Edison, NJ / St. Joseph
F-Matt Fabian, Ursinus   Jr   6-6   Pottstown, PA / Owen J. Roberts
F-Tom Leszczynski, Dickinson   So   6-10   West Babylon, NY / St. Anthony's

*    1st team All-Centennial in 2006
#   2nd team All-Centennial in 2006
%   Honorable Mention All-Centennial in 2006
(A)   Named to 2007 Conference Academic Honor Roll

Player of the Year - Nick Shattuck, Ursinus, Jr., G

Notes
?   Shattuck is the fifth consecutive and sixth overall player from Ursinus to earn Conference Player of the Year honors. Previous recipients include Rich Barrett (2001), Dan Luciano (2003), Dennis Stanton (2004) and Mike McGarvey (2005-06).  Shattuck was a unanimous first-team selection.

?   Shattuck and Griffin become the 19th and 20th players to earn first-team All-Centennial honors twice.  Only Ursinus' Rich Barrett (1999-00-01) and Muhlenberg's Mark Lesko (2000-01-02) have received the honor three times.

?   Franklin & Marshall (17) has the most first-team selections in the 14-year history of the Conference, followed by Ursinus (13), Muhlenberg (11), Johns Hopkins (10), Gettysburg (8), Washington (4), Haverford (3), Dickinson (2), McDaniel (2) and Swarthmore (2).

?   Three students were also named to the Conference Academic Honor Roll, which recognizes sophomores, junior and seniors who are key performers and have a 3.40 cumulative grade point average or higher.

bearsfan1

I am not going to lie and say I expected another Bear to earn POY honors.  It was a real surprise to Shattuck named POY (not saying he didn't deserve it but I really thought it was going to go to Griffin).  Looking at the recent POY honorees, you have to give credit to Coach Small for his recruitment and player development.  I just wanted to say congrats to all the players who were recognized and I cant wait to see what happens this weekend in Baltimore

bluejays

I am also certainly not going to say Shattuck did not deserve POY. The race between him and Griffin was dead even. However I though Hopkins 1st place finish and being a senior would give the slight edge to Griffin. I wish it could wait a week and take the conference tournament into account. If Griffin has a big tournament and Hopkins takes it then it would be tough to say he should not be. Or maybe Shattuck goes out and affirms the selection. Guess we will have to see...