No love for the Falcons???

Started by 2xfaux, November 08, 2010, 12:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2xfaux

So much for this regional ranking stuff.  Dickinson and Hopkins host and Messiah travels to Rowan.  Interesting?? or just goofy.   I am not sure I would have wanted to explain that on the selection broadcast.  Oh well.

DIIIdad

The Messiah men are hosting 1st/2nd Round as this is an even year.  Assuming they advance to Sectionals, the women host Sectionals in even years and the men would be away.

Jim Matson

Yep.  That is a pre-arranged system by the NCAA to avoid schools hosting multiple post-season soccer events.  The NCAA clearly doesn't want this situation as the guidelines are clearly stated in the handbook.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

jellybelly

Definitely no love for the Falcons.  Not only do they have to travel, they are playing the later game.  Having a perfect season thus far doesn't seem to have earned them any advantage.

2xfaux

Apparently Messiah and Manhattanville play at 11AM.. the first game on Saturday.
  While I have heard of the odd year/even year rule I can't find it.  Does someone have that link?
  Obviously there will be a different final four this year as TCNJ and Messiah are in the same section.
  Any thoughts on which section looks the toughest?
  The trip to South Jersey aside this old Messiah fan is always excited to see NCAA Tournament soccer.  Have fun everyone.  Go Falcons!!!!   

DIIIdad

Quote from: 2xfaux on November 09, 2010, 02:37:55 PM
While I have heard of the odd year/even year rule I can't find it.  Does someone have that link?

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/soccer/2010/10_3_w_soccer.pdf

Look to the bottom of page 8 in the handbook (or page 5 if you arrow down the pdf page).

2xfaux

Thanks DIIIdad, I will check it out.  I have to tell you I just filled in my bracket picks and sadly I have Augie losing to Wheaton in the second round(tough draw for Augie).  The good news is I have no idea in these first couple of rounds, however I have picked the eventual winner correctly in two of the last three years :). Good luck.  Go Augie..

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jellybelly on November 08, 2010, 10:29:56 PM
Definitely no love for the Falcons.  Not only do they have to travel, they are playing the later game.  Having a perfect season thus far doesn't seem to have earned them any advantage.

They practically got a first-round bye, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jellybelly

True, true. :D  And the game was changed from the original 1:30 slot to the 11:00am slot.

I have no complaints.  It looks like it is going to be great weather for soccer this weekend.

Let the games begin!

DIIIdad

Quote from: 2xfaux on November 09, 2010, 04:32:40 PM
Thanks DIIIdad, I will check it out.  I have to tell you I just filled in my bracket picks and sadly I have Augie losing to Wheaton in the second round(tough draw for Augie).  The good news is I have no idea in these first couple of rounds, however I have picked the eventual winner correctly in two of the last three years :). Good luck.  Go Augie..

Wheaton will be tough for anyone to beat, though they are beatable.  Although Augie did lose to them 4-1 earlier in the conference season, it was a 2-1 game until very late.  Augie only gave up 9 goals all year, with 4 of them coming in that game against Wheaton.  Three of the goals were off of corners, and the fourth was a restart from just inside the corner spot.  That defensive lapse was definitely an anomaly for a very strong defensive team.  The bigger problem for Augie is the lack of scoring.  If they advance, I see a lot of OT games going to PK's.

Hopefully the ladies aren't even thinking about Wheaton right now.  Carleton is a good team on a roll, going 13-0-2 in their last 15 games.

2xfaux

Taking any team lightly in the tournament is a big mistake.  Manhattanville was 17-2-1 last year with virtually the same roster and same schedule.  Obviously this year has been a disappointing one for the Valiants but they made the tournament and I am certain they will play their hearts out against Messiah.  I can't imagine that coach Frey will not make sure the Falcons understand that.

chairman

To be perfectly candid. Anytime a team outscores their opposition 99-2 over the course of a season, they don't need a ton of help in the seeding. In getting sent to Rowan (Big grass field- not far away) Messiah got a decent draw. While Manhattanville is better than their record (NOT the worst team in the tournament by a long stretch, but they did lose a couple key players from 2009). Neither they nor Rowan- were not going to be able to process what Messiah was going to do.

I am sure that everyone in the Messiah Women's Soccer program would rather be home for the second weekend, where they could wind up facing the winner of Hopkins and TCNJ (a pair of TURF teams) on grass. Look for similar results the next two weekends.

Jim Matson

I think that Hopkins would give them a challenge.  Assuming a FF round, a HSU/Messiah match would be perhaps the best women's final ever - although 07 was an exciting final as well.

2xfaux

You Wheaton guys are trying to make us fat and complacent.  I have you figured out!!! :D  A very, very long way to San Antonio.

Jim Matson