NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another Mom

From the New England Soccer Journal

Phillips Exeter midfielder Tyler Swanbeck commits to Wesleyan
By Jonathan SigalDecember 6, 2018

Tyler Swanbeck dribbles forward vs. Lawrence Academy. (Mike Gridley/New England Soccer Journal)
After winning back-to-back Class C titles at Hebron Academy, Tyler Swanbeck set out for a postgraduate year at Phillips Exeter.

His goal? Find a college soccer home, preferably one where the 2017-18 United Soccer Coaches Scholar All-America Player of the Year would continue to be challenged on and off the field.

Mission accomplished for the 19-year-old midfielder. Earlier this week, Swanbeck committed to Wesleyan, a Division 3 program that plays in the national-renowned NESCAC.

"I'm really excited for this," Swanbeck said. "I had those (Division 1) aspirations, but going to this league and conference, the quality of play isn't going to drop off at all. If anything, I'll be challenged every week."

As Swanbeck said, he hoped to play D1 soccer and made no secret of it. He had possibilities, too.

Before heading to Exeter, Swanbeck planned to join Colgate in 2019. He even reclassified, but head coach Erik Ronning went in another direction. Earlier this fall, Vermont also had serious interest only for the financial package not to work out.

1970s NESCAC Player

Here is a link to the Siena Men's Soccer post from January 2019 announcing that Tyler Swanbeck (and two others) had enrolled at Siena for the 2019 Spring semester:  https://sienasaints.com/news/2019/1/18/mens-soccer-adds-three-mid-year-enrollees-to-roster.aspx.

SlideTackle

Interesting.  Looks like he got a good financial package and was looking to D1 all along.  Academically those schools aren't on par.  Good luck to him.

Ommadawn

Quote from: SlideTackle on April 15, 2019, 07:05:10 PM
Academically those schools aren't on par.

No doubt.  In terms of SAT scores, the 75th percentile at Siena is 50 points below the 25th percentile at Wesleyan.

SlideTackle

Quote from: Mr.Right on June 11, 2018, 12:48:44 PM
So we have only 3 Nescac schedules posted as of now. Not many changes at all.

Williams- Same 5 Non-Conference teams from 2017. Skidmore, RPI, Babson, Curry and Coast Guard. Certainly not the non conference schedule strength of their dynasty days but it is solid. If Williams brings its "A" game and focuses for 90 minutes they should go 5-0-0 or 4-0-1 at the very least. Skidmore always gives them a solid game but unless they are bringing in a solid recruiting class they could drop a bit. RPI used to give Williams headaches but the past few years Williams has dominated them even when having trouble scoring against them. Unless RPI finds some attacking mojo against solid competition in 2018 I do not see that changing. Coast Guard is at Home so that will be a total unknown for Coast Guard especially on Williams 120x80 but one thing Coast Guard does do is run its ass off they are just usually playing on turf and lack a dynamic attack. Curry should be a W. Babson is bringing in a very good class and should be tops in NEWMAC in 2018 so they will be a challenge and could easily get a result v Williams.

Hamilton--Same 5 Non-Conference teams from 2017. Oneonta, Ithaca, Utica, 2 SUNY schools. I expect good things from Hamilton in 2018 and I expect them to go 4-1-0 or 3-0-2 against those 5. They MUST beat Utica and the 2 weak SUNY schools. I was impressed with the 2 games I saw of Ithaca last year and they have a solid coach in former Midd player and Norwich Coach Kyle Dezotell. I still give Hamilton the edge in talent but if Hamilton is still inconsistent like they were in 2017 and come out in a midweek game sloppy and uninterested they will lose. The game against Oneonta has been moved from late October in 2017 to mid September in 2018. I think that favors Oneonta because they will have been out for a month already BUT I expect Hamilton to remember the trashing Oneonta gave them in 2017. This year it will be on Love Field so that will give Hamilton an edge on the grass. I fully expect Hamilton to be up for that game and will want to tune in.

Trinity---1 change from 2017 and 4 of the same Non-Conference teams. ECONN, WCONN, Endicott, Wheaton(MA) and WNEC. They dropped Rivier for WNEC. I gave up predicting Trinity under Pilger back in 2012. You just never know when they will show up. Their final game in 2017 against Amherst last year was a fantastic performance even though they lost the game they gave max effort and had plenty of chances to Win that game. If they gave that same effort in every game they would be a much better outfit. As it is, they lost a ton of talent in 2017 and will lose even more talent in 2018. Unless Trinity and Bates brings in a real solid Frosh class for 2018 every Nescac team MUST expect to get 6pts from Trinity and Bates in 2018. Will that happen? No of course not but teams getting draws against Trinity and Bates or even losses in 2018 are not only missing out on 3pts for themselves they are basically giving the other Nescac schools an extra 2-3pts in the standings. It is an absolute must to clear 6pts against them. Trinity and Bates will not be blown off the field but the talent both schools lost in 2017 will show. I will give Trinity a "B" for their schedule. They dropped their only true cupcake and now have 5 very solid teams Non-Conference. Endicott will be the best of the bunch and that is their 1st game of the season. I expect good things from Endicott in 2018 as I hear they are bringing in a decent class plus 2 solid transfers especially the GK from BC. He is a good GK and could start for most Nescac's. The other 4 games are complete toss-ups. I will only predict they will lose to Endicott so they could go 4-1-0 but I highly doubt it. I could see a 1-2-2 or 2-2-1. Trinity needs 2-3 really solid recruiting classes before they can sniff a Top 4 in Nescac or their first NCAA appearance since 2011. They had a solid outfit in 2011 with Mayernick , Buckley and El-Hachem and company.

Hi all.  I peered back at the traffic here from last year and see that the previews had started by this time last year.  Just a little prompt to start the dialog. I am feeling my way around this conference and was introduced to it around this time last year.  I am sure many changes through the recruiting process and we won't know what the new crop will look like until play begins, but it's always interesting to speculate. For instance, from what I've seen posted it looks like Amherst got another strong class and I've heard rumors that a Red Bulls academy player was recently added, but haven't seen a public announcement.  Looking forward to the banter. Hope you're enjoying your summers.

nescacfan94

I too am curious to read some of the previews, but it's hard to get a true feel because there will be impact freshmen, and there is very little info about them and who might be the impact players.

I've got a question about NESCAC preseason, or rather, the lack of one. Is there a conference rule about when players can reports and/or when practice can officially start? Do teams have unofficial captain-led practices prior to the official report date? I know it's D3, but it seems like a really short preseason window.

emeyerow

My son is an incoming freshman at Hamilton. He was told by the coaches that the NESCAC does not permit practices to start until classes start. I'm not sure about informal captain's practices.

d4_Pace

Well thats not true cause often the first game of the year is the first day of class. But yes there is a mandated first date when teams can start preseason. Then there is all sort of fine print regarding the number of sessions and scrimmages etc.

d4_Pace

Its also a complete joke how short the preseason is. In my opinion this is the area where the NESCAC falls short and does more harm than good for its athletes. They love to trumpet the student first athlete second but condensing the preseason in to such a short period is frankly dangerous. Every year guys on every team end up injured because so many sessions have to be squeezed into a week of preseason. The other explanation is schools don't want to pay to open dorms early, which for schools with endowments in the billions is also a pretty weak excuse.

SlideTackle

I'm pretty sure the NESCACs open their doors early for athletes, but it's like a few days early.  For instance, dorms open on a Wednesday but for athletes on a Monday. Then there's a scrimmage over the following weekend and regular season begins during the following week.  That's an awfully short time between the first official game and the first official practice.  Doesn't make much sense but I guess that's how it's been for a while. 

d4_Pace

Sorry my initial response wasn't super clear. You are right that they open two to three days early. Although at least at Tufts I know thats actually the same time they open for the pre-orientation groups for incoming freshmen. I meant that they are hesitant to open them even earlier in order to have a legitimate preseason. Your timeline is correct.

emeyerow

Quote from: d4_Pace on July 02, 2019, 02:35:00 PM
Well thats not true cause often the first game of the year is the first day of class. But yes there is a mandated first date when teams can start preseason. Then there is all sort of fine print regarding the number of sessions and scrimmages etc.

Maybe the schools start classes on different dates. Hamilton starts classes 8/29 and the first game is 9/7 which is out of conference.

truenorth

My recollection is that the NESCAC fall sports programs have one week of official practice/training before the first game of the season.  When my older son headed to Brown, the team had a tradition of their own week of captain-led preseason training on Cape Cod before official preseason training began.

I thought that was a great idea and planted the seed with my younger son when he headed to Bowdoin.  He and several of the Maine athletes on the team hosted the team at their houses (including ours) for a week of unofficial preseason training.  It worked quite well, gave the athletes a chance to bond with each other, and put a huge dent in our family food supplies.

Ejay

I'm hearing AJ Marcucci was looking to transfer from Conn College. Anyone know anything about that? That would be a huge loss.

Ommadawn

Quote from: EB2319 on July 04, 2019, 08:59:58 PM
I'm hearing AJ Marcucci was looking to transfer from Conn College. Anyone know anything about that? That would be a huge loss.

From what I understand, the operative word here is "was."  I heard that after the fall season, he was considering some D1s, but ended up deciding to stay.