CMR

Quote from: Scots13 on September 20, 2016, 10:59:50 AM
Quote from: CMR on September 20, 2016, 10:44:28 AM
Quote from: Scots13 on September 19, 2016, 09:30:29 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 19, 2016, 08:48:29 AM
Quote from: algernon on September 18, 2016, 09:36:58 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 17, 2016, 04:08:32 PM
Quote from: CMR on September 17, 2016, 02:26:13 PM
Why is the FC/HSC game in Salem?  Looks to be about 10 people at the game.  Seems like a waste.

They refused to play HSC at home.

Perhaps the biggest mistake in the history of Tiger scheduling.  The agreement was for a game at Ferrum last year, a game at a neutral site (Salem) this year, and a game at Hampden-Sydney next year.  However, Ferrum has decided not to honor the agreement, having backed out of the game scheduled at HSC next year.  So the Tigers end up with last year's game at Ferrum and this year's game against Ferrum in Salem.  Two games on the road against Ferrum (one at the neutral site) and no games at home.

Actually 2 at neutral sites.  Last year's game wa played at a local HS. Can't see why it's "the biggest mistake". Things happen.

In all fairness to that point, Ferrum was still upgrading facilities at that time. It's not that they wanted to play at a neutral site, they had to play at a neutral site.
But, that's not HSC's fault.  Just because Ferrum could not play their game at home, because of their own doing, should not force HSC to not get the home game this year.  I don't defend HSC often (never), but this is one time that I think HSC got the shaft.

By that logic, I'm guessing Ferrum should have chosen to shaft themselves? That's the honorable thing to do, right?

I'll grant you that is sucks for HSC, but come on...it's not like FC knew they were going to screw HSC out of a home game when the agreement was drawn up. Having another conference expansion is throwing a wrench into things. It boils down to FC having 1/16 voting power. What do the other 15 schools care about the 2017 HSC/FC game?
Playing last year at a local HS is Ferrum's fault, it's still a home game for Ferrum.  Coming into this year, Ferrum knew they'd not honor HSC's home game next year, so play at HSC this year.  No, but what does Ferrum do, force the neutral site game this year and walk away from next year's game.  Once the parties knew this was going from a 3-year agreement to a 2-year agreement, then do the right thing and play at HSC.  Look, would the football outcome have been different, probably not.  But having 4 homes vs 5 is a big deal.

Scots13

Quote from: CMR on September 20, 2016, 11:43:27 AM
Quote from: Scots13 on September 20, 2016, 10:59:50 AM
Quote from: CMR on September 20, 2016, 10:44:28 AM
Quote from: Scots13 on September 19, 2016, 09:30:29 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 19, 2016, 08:48:29 AM
Quote from: algernon on September 18, 2016, 09:36:58 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 17, 2016, 04:08:32 PM
Quote from: CMR on September 17, 2016, 02:26:13 PM
Why is the FC/HSC game in Salem?  Looks to be about 10 people at the game.  Seems like a waste.

They refused to play HSC at home.

Perhaps the biggest mistake in the history of Tiger scheduling.  The agreement was for a game at Ferrum last year, a game at a neutral site (Salem) this year, and a game at Hampden-Sydney next year.  However, Ferrum has decided not to honor the agreement, having backed out of the game scheduled at HSC next year.  So the Tigers end up with last year's game at Ferrum and this year's game against Ferrum in Salem.  Two games on the road against Ferrum (one at the neutral site) and no games at home.

Actually 2 at neutral sites.  Last year's game wa played at a local HS. Can't see why it's "the biggest mistake". Things happen.

In all fairness to that point, Ferrum was still upgrading facilities at that time. It's not that they wanted to play at a neutral site, they had to play at a neutral site.
But, that's not HSC's fault.  Just because Ferrum could not play their game at home, because of their own doing, should not force HSC to not get the home game this year.  I don't defend HSC often (never), but this is one time that I think HSC got the shaft.

By that logic, I'm guessing Ferrum should have chosen to shaft themselves? That's the honorable thing to do, right?

I'll grant you that is sucks for HSC, but come on...it's not like FC knew they were going to screw HSC out of a home game when the agreement was drawn up. Having another conference expansion is throwing a wrench into things. It boils down to FC having 1/16 voting power. What do the other 15 schools care about the 2017 HSC/FC game?
Playing last year at a local HS is Ferrum's fault, it's still a home game for Ferrum.  Coming into this year, Ferrum knew they'd not honor HSC's home game next year, so play at HSC this year.  No, but what does Ferrum do, force the neutral site game this year and walk away from next year's game.  Once the parties knew this was going from a 3-year agreement to a 2-year agreement, then do the right thing and play at HSC.  Look, would the football outcome have been different, probably not.  But having 4 homes vs 5 is a big deal.

Personally, I don't think it's that big of a deal, especially if the games are Regional (South or East for a team like HSC). 4 home/6 away one year, the next 6 home/4 away, the next back to 5 and 5. I've seen it done with no harm done.
I understand it might be a bigger issue for an ODAC team next year due to CUA leaving, but if you can blame Ferrum for conference membership issues, you can blame CUA just as much.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

CMR

^^^^  We seem to be looking at this issue from two divergent directions.  Obviously, we'll have to agree to disagree.

hasanova

No ODAC football until the 29th!  What will I do?

CMR

Quote from: hasanova on September 21, 2016, 11:39:22 AM
You may have to lower your standards and watch DI football.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on September 20, 2016, 11:25:54 AM
I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Playing in Salem was stupid, on both team's part. Why pay to rent the field, have fewer supporters, and lose the campus atmosphere? All so you can play on the same field as the Stagg? Kind of pointless to me. But, I don't think it's a huge deal that Ferrum isn't coming to H-SC. Both games played were neutral site, shading toward the other's campus. Regardless of whether it was meant to be that way or not, that's pretty much what happened and hardly unfair in the end. ODAC teams will have big schedule issues starting next year. Losing Ferrum from that week 3 spot isn't an issue because somehow H-SC got gypped of a home game, it's an issue because filling week 3, and the 4th OOC, is going to be a bear.

I don't often envy the USASAC, but I do envy them their 8 conference games. To me that's perfect for a 10 game schedule. The two OOCs help with SOS and getting ready, and the 8 conference games provide a large amount of stability and ease of scheduling.
My problem with the 8 conference games is that someone may have an off-week in the schedule when they may not want it.

Week 9?  Week10?  Week 11?

jknezek

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 21, 2016, 01:07:16 PM
I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Playing in Salem was stupid, on both team's part. Why pay to rent the field, have fewer supporters, and lose the campus atmosphere? All so you can play on the same field as the Stagg? Kind of pointless to me. But, I don't think it's a huge deal that Ferrum isn't coming to H-SC. Both games played were neutral site, shading toward the other's campus. Regardless of whether it was meant to be that way or not, that's pretty much what happened and hardly unfair in the end. ODAC teams will have big schedule issues starting next year. Losing Ferrum from that week 3 spot isn't an issue because somehow H-SC got gypped of a home game, it's an issue because filling week 3, and the 4th OOC, is going to be a bear.

I don't often envy the USASAC, but I do envy them their 8 conference games. To me that's perfect for a 10 game schedule. The two OOCs help with SOS and getting ready, and the 8 conference games provide a large amount of stability and ease of scheduling.
My problem with the 8 conference games is that someone may have an off-week in the schedule when they may not want it.

Could be. But with 9 schools, and the ODAC down to 7, maybe the ODAC and USASAC pair up to fill a lot of those later in the season bye dates. Hopefully, anyway. But I'd still rather have 8 conference games, and need 2 OOC, than have 6 conference games and need 4 OOC. To me, 2 or 3 OOC games is the right balance. 2 if you are in a harder geography, like many of the USASAC, 3 if you are in a high density area.

hasanova

Quote from: CMR on September 21, 2016, 12:14:46 PM
Quote from: hasanova on September 21, 2016, 11:39:22 AM
You may have to lower your standards and watch DI football.
I'm resigned to it lol

hasanova

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 21, 2016, 01:07:16 PM

The ODAC will be back to where we were before Shenandoah joined.  Each team had a bye week or OOC once conference play started.  If I remember correctly, W&L had their ODAC record in the book after week 10 and had to wait a week to see how they fared in the final standings.  All league positions should be in play from 1-4 pm on week 11!

tigerFanAlso2

Have never enjoyed an off week as much as I did this past Saturday. Tigers needed a break after the 0-3 ooc schedule start to the season. Now they just need to figure a way to go 1-0 each week going forward.

RMC and GC look to be the class of the odac so far this year. Hard to get a read on W&L but I assume they will make some noise along the way. Not predicting any outcomes, this may truly be a week to week progression unlike most seasons we have seen in the past. The fact CNU is 3-0 and AU gave GC a run makes me feel at least hopeful. As always, time will tell all.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 26, 2016, 04:08:30 PM
Have never enjoyed an off week as much as I did this past Saturday. Tigers needed a break after the 0-3 ooc schedule start to the season. Now they just need to figure a way to go 1-0 each week going forward.

RMC and GC look to be the class of the odac so far this year. Hard to get a read on W&L but I assume they will make some noise along the way. Not predicting any outcomes, this may truly be a week to weTek progression unlike most seasons we have seen in the past. The fact CNU is 3-0 and AU gave GC a run makes me feel at least hopeful. As always, time will tell all.
I think several teams needed a break last Saturday.  I am concerned about Guilford's game versus Averett ... the Quakers won, but just never dominated as I expected, but the yards and time of possession were fully in Guilford's favor despite the 2-point win.  The 3-0 Quakers face a 3-0 Catholic squad this week, but I believe the Cardinals' foes were, relatively speaking, not as strong as GC's.  I also plan to drive to Farmville on the 8th, so I hope to say hello to Tiger posters.  HSC is resilient and will be up for the game, I'm sure.  Looking forward to the ODAC season starting Thursday night!

tigerFanAlso2

CUA is 3-0 ? My bet is your Quakers will have few problems coming away with a victory. Hope to see you at HSC on the 8th. Homecoming for the Tigers so we should have a nice crowd on campus, hopefully they will get out of the tailgates and make it to the stadium. Safe travels !!! 

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 26, 2016, 04:57:55 PM
CUA is 3-0 ? My bet is your Quakers will have few problems coming away with a victory. Hope to see you at HSC on the 8th. Homecoming for the Tigers so we should have a nice crowd on campus, hopefully they will get out of the tailgates and make it to the stadium. Safe travels !!!
CUA is 3-0, but they beat 1-3 McDaniel 28-21, 1-2 Rochester 27-14 and the 1-3 Coast Guard Academy 37-35.  CUA's opponents' wins came over collective 0-11 Ursinus, Alfred (NY) State and Anna Maria.  To be fair, Guilford's opponents are a collective 3-6 ... Greensboro, Methodist and Averett are all 1-2.

CNU85

Just some numbers...it's what I do.

The three undefeated ODAC teams this year have played teams that last year had a combined record of 28-59 (32%). None of those teams had a winning record.
All ODAC teams this year are 14-10 in non conference play. Combined 2015 record of all opponents was 102-166 (38%)

Only 3 teams have played a combined 4 games against teams with a 2015 winning record. W&L (2), E&H and Bridgewater. And those teams are 2-1. Nobody else played a non conference game this year against an opponent with a winning record in 2015.

E&H played a D2 school that went 0-11 last year (and 1-10 the year before).

I think my point is that in reading all the posts on this board, nobody really knows how the ODAC will shake out until conference play starts. My analysis supports those comments. (At least to me it does). This is going to be an exciting year for ODAC football. The lone 0-3 team was receiving votes (1) in the preseason Top 25 poll. I'm looking forward to watching the chaos that is about to ensue!

HansenRatings

Non-conference strength of schedule (based on my ratings, 0 to 1 scale) for each ODAC team:

Team   SoS   
Bridgewater   0.794   
Washington and Lee   0.680   
Randolph-Macon   0.495   
Hampden-Sydney   0.462   
Emory and Henry   0.449   
Guilford   0.250   
Catholic   0.242   
Shenandoah   0.187   

Bridgwater (excluding the NNA game) and W&L had the toughest schedules (thanks to TMC & JHU, respectively). RMC, HSC, and E&H played average competition, and the other three pretty much exclusively played cupcakes. It would be hard to argue that Guilford's schedule is demonstrably more difficult than Catholic's.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings