MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: miacmaniac on January 23, 2015, 08:50:21 AM
an excellent read....Souhan has captured what makes JT so successful:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/289531451.html

Nice article.  Their run of MIAC titles is extremely impressive.

Usually Reusse is the only one who gives time to D3 stuff.  Props to Souhan!

AO

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 23, 2015, 11:58:15 AM
Quote from: miacmaniac on January 23, 2015, 08:50:21 AM
an excellent read....Souhan has captured what makes JT so successful:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/289531451.html

Nice article.  Their run of MIAC titles is extremely impressive.

Usually Reusse is the only one who gives time to D3 stuff.  Props to Souhan!
Hilarious that the single comment is criticizing Souhan for not including Tauer's win pct.

Fans of every team besides the Vikings love to complain about the lack of coverage.
Reusse tweeted out the other day "Three-decade streak continues. Go to Gophs wrestling match. Fan (or fans) approach to complain about lack of newspaper wrestling coverage"

SUMMIT!!!!!

fro those of you old enough to remember hoops at SJU before the Palestra went up (I am glaring at you, Palmer), this should stir up memories:
http://www.sctimes.com/story/life/2015/01/22/sjus-guild-hall-holds-whole-lot-history/22173659/
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

faunch

U$T Tommie Media webcast completely sucked ass today...Johnnies played really well for about 35 minutes.
Officiating was terrible at best.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

VOJ

Great effort by SJU...officiating was pretty good, they let them play in the second half...bit of a drought by SJU in latter stage of second half hurt...

Have to re-focus for the Cobbers on Wednesday

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: faunch on January 24, 2015, 05:39:06 PM
U$T Tommie Media webcast completely sucked ass today...Johnnies played really well for about 35 minutes.
Officiating was terrible at best.

bitter much?  maybe you shoulda walked the few blocks and actually attended the game?  I know, a strange concept.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

nkwest

Thoroughly entertaining game at Schoenecker Arena on Saturday with an atmosphere and competition level worthy of the rivalry, bucking the J-Term trend in St. Paul. I can't figure out if it helped or hindered SJU down the stretch to only have been whistled for one foul in the second half prior to a UST possession with 2:30 remaining. The Tommies managed to bleed a lot of time off the clock their last couple of trips down the floor, aided by two huge offensive rebounds. UST had no answer defensively for Mitchell Kuck, who (finally) missed a good look for three with 1:15 left which would have made it a one possession game.

AO

Quote from: nkwest on January 26, 2015, 09:39:14 AM
Thoroughly entertaining game at Schoenecker Arena on Saturday with an atmosphere and competition level worthy of the rivalry, bucking the J-Term trend in St. Paul. I can't figure out if it helped or hindered SJU down the stretch to only have been whistled for one foul in the second half prior to a UST possession with 2:30 remaining. The Tommies managed to bleed a lot of time off the clock their last couple of trips down the floor, aided by two huge offensive rebounds. UST had no answer defensively for Mitchell Kuck, who (finally) missed a good look for three with 1:15 left which would have made it a one possession game.
We had the "too few fouls" problem at Northwestern a few times.  If you have a good set of refs you should be able to use it to your advantage and go for the steals without risking putting someone at the free throw line, but some refs blow the whistle in anticipation of the end of game foul parade rather than seeing if there actually was a foul.

My solutions:
1: Play the advantage like Hockey and Soccer.  If a player is in a likely scoring position or is in the backcourt after a foul was committed the whistle is not blown and play continues until the scoring chance is over. 
2: Let teams decline free throws.  There should never be an incentive to foul.  You should just count the foul against the player and let the fouled team inbound the ball again.
3: Only 1 timeout is allowed per team in the last 2 minutes.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: AO on January 26, 2015, 10:23:24 AM
We had the "too few fouls" problem at Northwestern a few times.  If you have a good set of refs you should be able to use it to your advantage and go for the steals without risking putting someone at the free throw line, but some refs blow the whistle in anticipation of the end of game foul parade rather than seeing if there actually was a foul.

My solutions:
1: Play the advantage like Hockey and Soccer.  If a player is in a likely scoring position or is in the backcourt after a foul was committed the whistle is not blown and play continues until the scoring chance is over. 
2: Let teams decline free throws.  There should never be an incentive to foul.  You should just count the foul against the player and let the fouled team inbound the ball again.

I get the spirit of #1 and #2, but managing the clock by fouling is part of the game.  Want to make the other team pay?  Hit your free throws.  I disagree about the incentive to foul...it's a gamble to get the ball back...you might get the ball back, in the same position, or you might be even further down when you touch the ball again.  Pressure free throws in that situation are way too much fun.

I do like #3.

I hate the timeout, teams break huddle and line up for inbounds - immediate second timeout sequence...I realize that could still happen under your scenario if each team called their own timeouts, but it could only happen once...or maybe ammend your rule to say that the ball must enter play between timouts, in addition to only having 1 in the last two minutes.

St. Olaf webcast on saturday was excellent...great A/V, and good commentary to go with it...Figini was as impressive on Saturday as he was un-impressive in the first game with BU...displayed a nice touch on multiple 15-footers.  He's going to be a beast offensively for his MIAC career if he says healthy.

AO

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on January 26, 2015, 11:15:33 AM

My solutions:

I get the spirit of #1 and #2, but managing the clock by fouling is part of the game.  Want to make the other team pay?  Hit your free throws.  I disagree about the incentive to foul...it's a gamble to get the ball back...you might get the ball back, in the same position, or you might be even further down when you touch the ball again.  Pressure free throws in that situation are way too much fun.

I do like #3.

I hate the timeout, teams break huddle and line up for inbounds - immediate second timeout sequence...I realize that could still happen under your scenario if each team called their own timeouts, but it could only happen once...or maybe ammend your rule to say that the ball must enter play between timouts, in addition to only having 1 in the last two minutes.

St. Olaf webcast on saturday was excellent...great A/V, and good commentary to go with it...Figini was as impressive on Saturday as he was un-impressive in the first game with BU...displayed a nice touch on multiple 15-footers.  He's going to be a beast offensively for his MIAC career if he says healthy.
I still think you'd have the pressure free throws.  If you're only up 1 or 2, you'll probably elect to shoot the free throws as there is a risk of a turnover if you choose to attempt to inbound the ball again.  I hate trading 2 possible points for a 3 on the other end.  The free throw rule was created when you scored less than a point per possession and there were no 3s.  In europe the team that is winning by 1 will foul so they can get the last shot.  It's ridiculous.

If you missed it Pat had a nice interview after the BU-Olaf game with Bridge.  Some great honesty about his transfer and loved the shot he took at Figini for being a black hole.

GoldandBlueBU

Thanks for posting the interview...I hadn't seen it.

Heard the same about the D1 lifestyle from Moberg, who came to BU from Niagra during my BU years.

re: free throws / fouls...true on opting for free throws over posession, I had overlooked that. 

Drake Palmer

Due to other conflicts, I too missed the UST-SJU game on Saturday.  However, I did manage to catch a portion of the game on the UST webcast, such as it was.   ::) I stand by my earlier comment that Carleton & St. Olaf have the best webcast & video announcers in the league. Watching the choppy portion of the UST webcast (when it was functioning) was like sitting in the nosebleed section of the Metrodome watching the NCAA basketball tourney years ago.   I finally gave up on the webcast & listened to the radio broadcast late in the game & heard the velvet tones of VOJ intoning – "the Johnnies are slitting their own throats." Got a good chuckle out of that line.

Mitchell Kuck was doing his best Mo Williams impersonation – nice.  Too bad the Jays didn't have one more player who could step up for them. 

Collectively, UST stepped up big, with nice games by the guards – Montero, Tillman, Alipate, & Shaeffer. 

Recently I had an argument with an ardent UST supporter who was favorably comparing this year's UST team to other Tommy teams. In the past two "big" games the UST opponents have shot 61% FGA - St. Olaf, while the Johnnies shot 53.7% overall, & 56.2% from behind the 3 pt line. This UST team only has so many cat lives before they'll hit the wall, or get beat. Don't win too many championships by letting the other team shoot over 50%.

Previous UST teams had defensive stalwarts like Brady Ervin, John Nance who would get after the other team's star player & either stop them, or slow them down. Before those guys, you had Tyler Nicolai, Teddy Archer, Lonnie Robinson, B J. Viau, Al McCoy, Isaac Rosefelt, etc.  While talented on the offensive end, I don't see a defensive stopper like that on this UST team. If the Tommies hope to enjoy similar post season success they'll need to a find guy or two to step up.

Bethel is doing some amazing things this year with basically a munchkin lineup.  Great season sweep of the Oles. I'm guessing the Oles might have been suffering a bit of a letdown after a tough loss last Wednesday against UST.
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

carletonsid

My solutions:

I like the advantage rule to an extent, but I worry about what might happen if an advantage is called by the official and play continues - would the defense simply take out the offensive player? In soccer you have yellow + red cards to deter that behavior. Also, FTs are part of the game and if you can't make them, too bad.

I do like the idea of less timeouts. Great article from a couple of weeks ago from the Rush the Court blog. Pertains a bit more to D1, but think D3 could take a look at less timeouts and keeping the game moving.

AO

Quote from: carletonsid on January 26, 2015, 04:34:36 PM

My solutions:

I like the advantage rule to an extent, but I worry about what might happen if an advantage is called by the official and play continues - would the defense simply take out the offensive player? In soccer you have yellow + red cards to deter that behavior. Also, FTs are part of the game and if you can't make them, too bad.

I do like the idea of less timeouts. Great article from a couple of weeks ago from the Rush the Court blog. Pertains a bit more to D1, but think D3 could take a look at less timeouts and keeping the game moving.
Call technical or intentional fouls.  Call multiple fouls.  The only thing "good" about end of game free throws is missed free throws offset terrible foul calls.  If we can get the shot clock down to 24 seconds that makes comebacks via actual basketball still possible.

Great article.  Absolutely hilarious that they took 9 minutes to shoot 16 free throws. 

nkwest

Quote from: Drake Palmer on January 26, 2015, 04:25:47 PM
Recently I had an argument with an ardent UST supporter who was favorably comparing this year's UST team to other Tommy teams. In the past two "big" games the UST opponents have shot 61% FGA - St. Olaf, while the Johnnies shot 53.7% overall, & 56.2% from behind the 3 pt line. This UST team only has so many cat lives before they'll hit the wall, or get beat. Don't win too many championships by letting the other team shoot over 50%.

I had a similar conversation leaving UST on Saturday (though both of us were in agreement), and I think the statistics from UST's last six seasons paint a pretty clear picture. The Tommies are surrendering a 49.0% shooting percentage to conference and non-conference opponents, a full five points higher than their Final Four run two seasons ago and eleven points higher than their National Championship season four years ago. I would have liked to dig up the numbers from the Elite Eight run in 08-09, but the revamped tommiesports.com isn't making that easy.

season/overall/conference/
14-15   49.0   44.5  TBD
13-14   47.1   46.8  *Out NCAA Round 1
12-13   44.0   42.8  *Out NCAA Final Four
11-12   46.7   45.2  *Out NCAA Round 2
10-11   38.0   35.5  **National Championship
09-10   39.2   40.0  *Out NCAA Round 1

It doesn't appear to be from a lack of effort or commitment on the defensive end, but, as you pointed out, this team simply lacks an elite shutdown defender.