WBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I realize the 2006-2007 season has not come to a close... but its not too early to look ahead and that means a new conference in the Mid-Atlantic or Atlantic Region (Pat is so thoughtfully linking this posting board to both regions!).

So... welcome to Catholic, Drew, Goucher, Juniata, Merchant Marine, Moravian, Scranton, and Susquehanna to the new "Landmark Conference." While I don't think an "official" website has been launched, Wikipedia already has a page about the conference, so enjoy the quick read.

Now... some news to know:

- Schedule:
After much debate (from what I heard), the conference has decided on a combination of a Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday schedule.
Half of the schools wanted on version, the other wanted half. I know a tentative schedule has been decided on with at least dates... with the first games taking place on Dec. 1st, 4th, and 5th between travel partnerts and the final game will be Feb. 23rd - again between travel partners. The first true travel weekend will be Jan. 11th and 12th.
Also, the first game of the weekend will be played in the evenings... the second during the afternoon (unless it is on Saturday and a school gets permission to play at night as well).

- Travel Partners are as follows:
Catholic & Goucher
Juniata & Susquehanna
Scranton & Moravian
Merchant Marine & Drew

- Conference Championship Tournaments:
I believe this will only involve the top four teams with the first round being played on Wednesday, Feb. 27th at the higher seeds.
The championship game will be played on Saturday, March 1st - also at the higher seeds.
Unless it changes, this conference will have to withstand two years of Pool B - no automatic qualification - for two years.

I think that about covers it for now... let the posting... begin!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

Dave, Thanks for the start of some information on the LC. It seems a bit odd that the champion of the Landmark will be at the mercy of an at-large bid, especially considering the rather rich history many members bring to the table. Since many UofS Alumni are from & are living in DC. & Northern Virginia...I know they are very excited about the Catholic/Goucher weekend as are the NYC crew when the games are played at Drew & on the Island. Thanks again & please share as info. becomes available.

Pat Coleman

I would expect the conference will not have to worry about its champ getting in in women's basketball.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah - I am thinking the women's basketball side of this equation is going to be fine for the two years they will be up for the Pool B bids. I think some Pool B teams aren't going to enjoy the fact at all!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

It's basically a swap, eight Landmark teams into Pool B and seven PrAC teams out.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ah... true... +k for you Mr. Coleman... not that you really need any more! :)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 20, 2007, 10:17:06 PM
It's basically a swap, eight Landmark teams into Pool B and seven PrAC teams out.

Yes, Scranton and Moravian for Thomas More and W&J/Westminster!

The GSAC may be glad that they got their AQ!

The NAthCon will be glad to get its, too,

ronk

Royals bball schedule is up on school web site; room for 3 more games; no Kings yet.

roy_a

Ronk, The Lady Royals will be playing 2-3 games when they take thier holiday trip. I think this year the go to Puerto Rico. It sure looks like Kings will not happen but perhaps Desales.....

kate

Could the S.I.D.'s for Moravian & Susquehanna put up their 07-08 schedules, please?  This DVC fan would love to know who the Aggies will be facing in the Pepsi-Weis opening tourney.  Thanks!

Pat Coleman

I'm sure they have e-mail addresses you could send to rather than placing your personal messages on this board.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: kate on June 08, 2007, 01:16:10 PM
Could the S.I.D.'s for Moravian & Susquehanna put up their 07-08 schedules, please?  This DVC fan would love to know who the Aggies will be facing in the Pepsi-Weis opening tourney.  Thanks!

Kate: You might wish to cut these SIDs a bit of slack because,

• They don't work for you and thus rightly couldn't care less about what you'd "love to know."
  • Perhaps they can't release schedules until the coaches approve the release. That's the case at many institutions.

kate

Hype, people - excitement - isn't anyone else anxious to know who's playing who???  Last year, e-mails & snail mail went out to the guys in charge of the Surf City Classic in California & NOTHING!  What better way to let folks know fans really care about games in the 07-08 season.  Especially since this is the start of BIG things with the league changes - HYPE!

roy_a

Okay...we are about 5 months prior to the start of the inaugural Landmark Conference.  Any fans of the teams out there who can bring us up to speed on your respective teams? I will give a preliminary update on Scranton.---First we loose 2, 1000pt scorers. One of which is Taryn  Mellody  a 3 time All American, and the 2nd, Allison Matt, was one of the best pt gaurds in the Mac-Freedom over the last decade. In addition we loose the leagues best shot blocker in Tiffany Williams. Couple that with loosing the leadership and poise of Casey Thran and we look to be in dire straights.....But hold on for a moment....

We return one of the best D3 coaches in history in Mike Strong---granted he does not play, however, he sees the situation better than anyone and has the ability to fix it. Apart from a lot of Freshmen coming in to compete this year we do bring a lot back. Considering the changing strting lineups as well as the generous switching of players a lot of our gals have seen significant playing time. First off we have Stephanie Remington, great defense as well as the ability to shoot lights out. We return last years lone frosh, Ryan Mooney, one of the fiercest defenseive players I have ever seen.... Now, big girls, Michele Fabio, Kathleen Daly, the resturn of 6'3" Molly Klusek and it looks like Scranton will be in contention again....It will be very interesting to see how we match up in a new league though...

kate

Many thanks to the S.I.D. for Susquehanna!  New season's schedule is up :)!