FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

He was on the ballot at least since 2015. Seems like there are lots of player holdovers. Given no player from the Divisional section was inducted last year, and only one in 2015, I'd imagine it's pretty tough to go through.

Interestingly, both coaches inducted last year were Divisional section.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on June 03, 2016, 10:06:36 AM
So I was curious. There were 111 players listed on Catholic's 2015 roster. As befitting Coach Dunn's history, the largest contingent of 15 were from FL, which ties PA. No help for DIII games for FL student athletes.

In the ODAC area, VA (9) and NC (4), there were 13 kids listed.

In the NEWMAC area: VT (0), MA (10), NY (10), NJ (14), CT (9), RI (1), and ME (0) I counted 43. Over 1/3 of the roster.

That leaves Catholic's home area: MD (14), PA (15), DE (1) there are 30, and if you want to count VA as home instead of ODAC you get 39 total. Less in the three home states than in the NEWMAC areas.

Of the rest, obviously FL (15) is huge. CA, GA, IL, LA, MO, MN, OH, S.C. and WI all have 1.

So it's pretty clear. The team is largely from the NE (northern mid-atlantic?) and New England states, with a huge contingent from FL which I expect will fall without Coach Dunn's connections. The two ODAC states, despite one of them being basically a home state for Catholic, provide about 10% of the roster, and MD and PA provide the bulk of the rest (25%).

Looking at it this way, only Maine Maritime and Norwich are painful, with games in MA, CT, and NY looking like very appropriate road trips. Especially if recruiting in these areas picks up to replace the large FL contingent that will probably shrink. If two of your OOC games are in PA, home and home in alternate years, or maybe one in PA and one in NJ, the NEWMAC plus some strategic OOC games would do a good job of covering Catholic's recruiting areas.

Yes the bus trips will suck. But for many of the athletes the NEWMAC will give them home games near friends and family, something the ODAC does not come close to providing.

The school's student body is even more largely from the NEWMAC area than the football team roster, I suspect. When I attended, basically all of the undergraduates were from the Acela corridor (back then, perhaps better defined by the Delta Shuttle) of D.C. to Boston.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

tigerFanAlso2

Still very concerned about odac football starting in 2017. Given the landscape of other conferences I don't see a 4 game ooc schedule as being realistic w/o lots of travel which most cannot afford. Glad not to be an AD at any of these programs.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on June 08, 2016, 02:26:16 PM
Still very concerned about odac football starting in 2017. Given the landscape of other conferences I don't see a 4 game ooc schedule as being realistic w/o lots of travel which most cannot afford. Glad not to be an AD at any of these programs.

This is very much my concern as well. I keep hoping to hear an announcement out of Roanoke, but I'm guessing it isn't coming.

tigerFanAlso2

I agree, don't think we will hear much out of Roanoke. Wonder if the football playing schools should look for another conference and/or pull out to form a new one, to include 3 other schools, or just be content with a 9/8 game schedule.
Again, I really don't get why CNU is playing in the NE when the odac makes much more sense. I get they are public/by laws of the odac, etc., but common sense needs to be used at some point. CNU has quality academics and would represent the odac well. Other opportunities include S.Va., EU and FC all I would think would have interest. 

Pat Coleman

I think we'll see some sort of scheduling arrangement with the USA South. I haven't heard much interest in Roanoke adding football. Virginia Wesleyan might be the next, but it is definitely *not* imminent for them. Haven't heard anything about Lynchburg in a while.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 08, 2016, 03:47:01 PM
I think we'll see some sort of scheduling arrangement with the USA South. I haven't heard much interest in Roanoke adding football. Virginia Wesleyan might be the next, but it is definitely *not* imminent for them. Haven't heard anything about Lynchburg in a while.

With Brevard joining they will have 9 football schools. That could help the ODAC fit in OOC games outside the traditional pre-conference window.  As for the rest, at this point it seems pie in the sky dreaming.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on June 08, 2016, 04:15:18 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 08, 2016, 03:47:01 PM

With Brevard joining they will have 9 football schools. That could help the ODAC fit in OOC games outside the traditional pre-conference window.  As for the rest, at this point it seems pie in the sky dreaming.

The year the USAC had 9 teams when Huntingdon joined each team "skipped" a conference game. The big fuss that year was Huntingdon not playing CNU. Obviously that helped with budgeting, but everyone wanted to see that game.
Hopefully with the addition of Brevard, the USAC and ODAC can get together on something. I'm not a fan of 2 OOC and 8 conf. games. I hope MC didn't do a home and home with Hanover and can schedule HSC, W&L or Guilford in 2017.

jk, if you remember a while back, I mentioned MC's founder, Isaac Anderson, was a W&L (or whatever they called it back then, Washington Academy or something?) guy. Maybe get a series going and call it the Anderson Cup?  ;D

Just checked Wikipedia, if you'll accept that as a source--W&L was Washington Academy from 1796-1813 and Liberty Hall Academy from 1776-1796. MC was founded in 1819, so I'll go with Liberty Hall.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on June 08, 2016, 04:43:38 PM
jk, if you remember a while back, I mentioned MC's founder, Isaac Anderson, was a W&L (or whatever they called it back then, Washington Academy or something?) guy. Maybe get a series going and call it the Anderson Cup?  ;D

I remember. Washington College probably, depending on when he was there. Could have been Liberty Hall Academy or one other name I'm not remembering any more. Maryville is in one of my favorite areas of the country. If we had home and homes with Sewanee and Maryville in offsetting years I'd be a happy guy. It's a shame that OOC games are set so far in advance and there are such strong monetary restrictions on travel for some schools. I'd like to see a USAS/ODAC challenge with teams matched by previous year order of finish.

Now there's the pie in the sky idea!

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on June 08, 2016, 04:50:11 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on June 08, 2016, 04:43:38 PM

I remember. Washington College probably, depending on when he was there. Could have been Liberty Hall Academy or one other name I'm not remembering any more. Maryville is in one of my favorite areas of the country. If we had home and homes with Sewanee and Maryville in offsetting years I'd be a happy guy. It's a shame that OOC games are set so far in advance and there are such strong monetary restrictions on travel for some schools. I'd like to see a USAS/ODAC challenge with teams matched by previous year order of finish.

Now there's the pie in the sky idea!

I'm not particularly excited about the overall records MC has with most teams in the ODAC, but accordingly to 2015 media guides from both schools, the W&L/MC series is tied up at 7-7-0. Here's to 2017...
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

I wouldn't be surprised if Guilford picked up Brevard OOC in 2017 ... we have instate D3 rivalries with Methodist and Greensboro, but, surprisingly, have never played NCWC in football.  For the Quakers, there is always Averett and SVU, but we have played Maryville in the past.  There are some alumni connections with staff as well.

hasanova

Just returned from a business trip through eastern Ohio as I also did in March.  Out of pure curiosity and proximity, I stopped by to look at Hiram College in March and both Mount Union and Marietta yesterday.  Nice looking schools and football facilities.  Couldn't help but notice the Dom Capers press box at UMU.  Dom, as many of you know, was the first head coach of the expansion Carolina Panthers back in the 1990s.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

How did those facilities compare to what you see in the odac ?

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: hasanova on June 10, 2016, 06:53:57 PM
Just returned from a business trip through eastern Ohio as I also did in March.  Out of pure curiosity and proximity, I stopped by to look at Hiram College in March and both Mount Union and Marietta yesterday.  Nice looking schools and football facilities.  Couldn't help but notice the Dom Capers press box at UMU.  Dom, as many of you know, was the first head coach of the expansion Carolina Panthers back in the 1990s.

I sure hope it's nicer than the Phil Simms Weight room at Morehead State!  This picture does not do justice to how ugly it is. http://image2.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/1768_Phil_Simms_Weight_Training_Center.jpg
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on June 13, 2016, 10:41:37 AM
Hasa

How did those facilities compare to what you see in the odac ?
Mt Union was clearly the best of the three (and better than the ODAC) ... fueled by their success and alumni involvement.  Well-landscaped and maintained with professional ticket booths, concessions and fieldhouses.  Looked as though they get nice support from the small city of Alliance.

Hiram did not have much seating (or parking), but field did back up to the PE center which doubled as a fieldhouse.  Small town of the same name, but less than an hour from Cleveland.  Seating all on one side I think. 

Marietta was nice, but not as big as UMU.  Looked good from the street.  Stadium is hard by the Ohio river in a small town of the same name... just a few miles across the bridge to WV.

ODAC stacked up well with Marietta and looked better than Hiram, but not in UMU league yet.  All looked like DIII stadiums, but UMU was a notch above.