DIII records against DI and DII Competition??

Started by Krakatoa, March 25, 2008, 01:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krakatoa

I know many DIII's schedule in some games against DI and DII schools.  Would anyone have any idea of how to check how the DIII's have done this year on a national scale in this regard??

I'm just curious to see how the DIII's have fared when they've played the scholly schools.   

hokieone

Christopher Newport University played D-II Virginia State University and D-II Pace University last weekend, defeating VSU, 15-4, and Pace, 11-4. VSU isn't too strong but Pace plays good baseball and had defeated the #7 D-II, West Chester, earlier in the season.

cawcdad

CSU East Bay took 2 of 3 from D-II San Francisco State and lost to D-I San Jose State. They play D-II Sonoma State today.

From The NWC, George Fox Beat D-I University of Portland. Whitman lost 2 to D-II Central Washington. Lewis & Clark plays Portland tomorrow.

From the SCIAC, Pomona beat D-II Cal State San Bernardino

Jim Dixon

cawcdad

CSU East Bay lost to D-II Sonoma State 5-1 yesterday. It was Sonoma's 21st straight win. The Seawolves are ranked #2 in the Collegiate Baseball Division II poll.

Blackcat00

Louisiana College beat Nichols State this year which is pretty impressive. We (Concordia University at Austin) opened with the Texas Longhorns in 03 when they won the national championship and played pretty well against them losing 7-1 and 6-1. Both played pretty close until late innings.

HAMBONE

Concordia University Texas (CTX, American Southwest Conference) usually opens their season schedule versus Houston Baptist (DI - Independent), Texas A&M Kingsville (DII), or Lubbock Christian (NAIA).  Weekday games during the season over the past few years have included Texas Wesleyan, St Edwards University, Sam Houston State.  Their JV Schedule every year includes some powerhouse Juco's from Texas: San Jacinto, Blinn College, Navarro, Temple, McClennan. 

This year the Tornandos opened up with 2 games at home versus Houston baptist (DI) and split with them on saturday and went to Dallas on Sunday and beat Texas Wesleyan (DII).  they went down to Houston the following weekend and played another DH versus Houston Baptist and lost them both.  Even though playing these teams doesnt help their ranking in DIII, it definately gets the season started against some respectable competition....and if you pull off a few wins it generates some confidence for the guys.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 27, 2008, 01:25:27 PM
... beat Texas Wesleyan (DII).  ...
Texas Wesleyan left D-II (and the Heartland Conference) in 2001, spent a quick provisional year in the ASC and promptly moved on to the NAIA and the Red River AC.  Texas Wesleyan only offers 4 men's and 4 women's sports, not counting Table Tennis.
:)

Blackcat00

I really think beating some decent div 1 teams and 2 teams should give you some points because alot of teams beat up on these sad div 3 teams and then get ranked way to high, then again rankings mean nothing.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Blackcat00 on March 28, 2008, 02:11:40 PM
I really think beating some decent div 1 teams and 2 teams should give you some points because alot of teams beat up on these sad div 3 teams and then get ranked way to high, then again rankings mean nothing.

I believe they should count as significant wins in the same way a win against a quality opponent does

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 28, 2008, 02:23:24 PM
I believe they should count as significant wins in the same way a win against a quality opponent does
Our problem is that the rules for all D-III sports as set by the membership and the Championships Committee of the NCAA only consider such games as secondary criteria.

The new OWP/OOWP criteria have been implemented to modulate some of the "wins against really bad D3 teams".

Jim Dixon

My reference to that they should count when ranking team in the poll.  Ralph is correct that for the OWP/OOWP criteria they do not.  It would not be fair to count these types of games for or against either team.  In fact, I would encourage them by allowing them to be outside the 40 game limit.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jim Dixon on March 28, 2008, 07:28:48 PM

My reference to that they should count when ranking team in the poll.  Ralph is correct that for the OWP/OOWP criteria they do not.  It would not be fair to count these types of games for or against either team.  In fact, I would encourage them by allowing them to be outside the 40 game limit.
Jim expresses the sentiments well.  I think that a D-1 game is a good experience, and local D-2/NAIA games may be good for the community and easy on the budget and missed class time, especially for midweek games!

I don't want a team making a habit of D-1's to the detriment of the rest of the D-3 schedule.

What do we say about Louisiana College's win over D-1 Nicholls State.  LaCollege will have to work hard to earn one of the four berths from the ASC-East in the ASC Tourney.  (That means that Louisiana College may be only the 7th - 10th best team in the ASC!)

theoneandonly

In 2004 Blackburn College (SLIAC) beat Southern Illinois University - Carbondale.
Baseball players get to every base.