BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDavisD3

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

OshDude

Caltech may be able to get back into the win column today against the University of Antelope Valley, which was a club team last year, independent varsity in 2013 and has its sights set on NAIA membership. However, the UAV Pioneers are 5-1 with a roster dominated by juniors and "sophmores."

I had never heard of the University of Antelope Valley. If its rapid expansion is any indication, UAV appears to be quite healthy despite my ignorance.

Gray Fox

They are the Pioneers.  I would have thought they would be Antelopes. :-*
Fierce When Roused

Richard Hamstocks

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on February 09, 2013, 10:19:47 AMI had never heard of the University of Antelope Valley. If its rapid expansion is any indication, UAV appears to be quite healthy despite my ignorance.
By rapid expansion, is that in reference to the fact that they are up to three bachelors degrees (business management, criminal justice and nursing-online)? I think these places exist for athletics.  Alas, looks like they took 2 from the Beavers.  In other news, Pomona swept 2012 NWC co-conference champs Pacific.  Been a tough start to the weekend for contending west region contenders mixing it up with the SCIAC, with Cal Lutheran looking for a second one from Whitworth (tied in the rubber match as of this post), La Verne dismantling Linfield and Concordia falling to Whittier.  Of course, Redlands is still in the SCIAC...

108 Stitches

Quote from: Gray Fox on February 09, 2013, 08:04:33 PM
They are the Pioneers.  I would have thought they would be Antelopes. :-*

I was thinking Jackalopes. I have been to the valley a number of times and have seen them roaming the area.
http://nicolezoltack.blogspot.com/2012/01/creature-of-week-jackalope.html

OshDude

Quote from: Richard Hamstocks on February 09, 2013, 08:37:00 PM
Quote from: Ricky Nelson on February 09, 2013, 10:19:47 AMI had never heard of the University of Antelope Valley. If its rapid expansion is any indication, UAV appears to be quite healthy despite my ignorance.
By rapid expansion, is that in reference to the fact that they are up to three bachelors degrees (business management, criminal justice and nursing-online)? I think these places exist for athletics.  Alas, looks like they took 2 from the Beavers.  In other news, Pomona swept 2012 NWC co-conference champs Pacific.  Been a tough start to the weekend for contending west region contenders mixing it up with the SCIAC, with Cal Lutheran looking for a second one from Whitworth (tied in the rubber match as of this post), La Verne dismantling Linfield and Concordia falling to Whittier.  Of course, Redlands is still in the SCIAC...
Was thinking more along the lines of going from a 500-foot space for teaching CPR and first aid to an accredited university in a short time.

CrashDavisD3

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

Richard Hamstocks

We'll get to see if Oxy is for real against Chapman.
6-0 but opponents winning percentage is .071 (Austin 1-6, La Sierra 0-8). Those teams were 8-29 and 4-33-1 in 2012.  I guess they're planning on winning SCIAC, as that schedule doesn't get you far in the conversation for an at-large (though La Sierra doesn't factor in).
I think Chapman takes at least two of three.   

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Richard Hamstocks on February 11, 2013, 04:13:46 PM
We'll get to see if Oxy is for real against Chapman.
6-0 but opponents winning percentage is .071 (Austin 1-6, La Sierra 0-8). Those teams were 8-29 and 4-33-1 in 2012.  I guess they're planning on winning SCIAC, as that schedule doesn't get you far in the conversation for an at-large (though La Sierra doesn't factor in).
I think Chapman takes at least two of three.   
Oxy vs Chapman begins on Friday

Question 1 - Will Oxy finish in top 4 to make it to the SCIAC conference tournament?

Question 2- Has Chapman recovered from their 20-20 season in 2012 to compete and finish in top 4 in SCIAC to make it to SCIAC conference tournament.

Chapman has on 1 senior on the roster and many of their starting pitchers and relief pitchers are freshman.

108 Stitches

I think Chapman will most definitely give Oxy a good series and has a 50/50 shot at taking 2 of 3. Having not seen Oxy makes it difficult to really know, and yes Chapman is young, but they are talented and can play defense. They have two starting pitchers that will keep them in games, but their bullpen is suspect.....however they will continue to get better during the season and I think they will be part of the SCIAC equation.

Oxy did face weak competition so who knows... it does make it fun to speculate. ;)

dahlby

Chapman dropped a 3-0 road contest to Cal State San Marcos Monday afternoon.
The teams go at it again Tuesday in San Marcos.
Line score:

Chapman 0-3-3
San Marcos 3-8-2

Full box score at "chapmanathletics .com".

Whatagame

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on February 09, 2013, 10:19:47 AMIn other news, Pomona swept 2012 NWC co-conference champs Pacific. 

I took a glance at the Pomona-Pitzer/Pacific box scores, and recognized PP's game 3 winner, C. Yen - a Frosh.  He has potential to be a mainstay top performer in the SCIAC conference, he was a very solid pitcher for a stacked Placentia El Dorado HS pitching squad.

Richard Hamstocks

Quote from: Whatagame on February 11, 2013, 08:12:34 PM
In other news, Pomona swept 2012 NWC co-conference champs Pacific. 
I took a glance at the Pomona-Pitzer/Pacific box scores, and recognized PP's game 3 winner, C. Yen - a Frosh.  He has potential to be a mainstay top performer in the SCIAC conference, he was a very solid pitcher for a stacked Placentia El Dorado HS pitching squad.
That and another frosh (Rosenbaum) had a very strong outing against pre-season number 5 Whitworth (7IP, 0 R).  That's 2 Freshmen and a sophomore (Bruml) making strong starts in their first 4 games.  P-P should be competitive in the SCIAC for a while.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 11, 2013, 05:57:49 PM
I think Chapman will most definitely give Oxy a good series and has a 50/50 shot at taking 2 of 3. Having not seen Oxy makes it difficult to really know, and yes Chapman is young, but they are talented and can play defense. They have two starting pitchers that will keep them in games, but their bullpen is suspect.....however they will continue to get better during the season and I think they will be part of the SCIAC equation.

Oxy did face weak competition so who knows... it does make it fun to speculate. ;)

I don't buy Oxy.....yet.  The teams they played are pretty bad but they can make themselves a legit threat by beating Chapman, but I really don't see that happening.  I think Oxy is moving in the right direction but don't think they can beat Chapman.