Covid Impact on Conference Scheduling

Started by hopefan, July 22, 2020, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_jays

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 01, 2020, 06:10:51 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 31, 2020, 09:28:03 PM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on July 31, 2020, 11:23:22 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 30, 2020, 02:26:07 PM
Given how spot on this expert was PRIOR TO THE END OF JANUARY, he has been my go to pro (not in an anti-Fauci way..........but Fauci is playing AA ball compared to this cat!!) THIS article is sobering and it's what I've been saying all along about the effectiveness of a vaccine on top of how many people will NOT ever get inoculated. Depressing as hell!!!:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/osterholm-americans-will-be-living-with-the-coronavirus-for-decades-2020-07-30?mod=home-page

That was helpful to read. Discouraging, but helpful nevertheless. Thanks for posting it.

You're welcome! i don't want to be the "doomsday" person on the boards, but I also am seeing more and more of this type of information

I'd rather plan for the worst case scenario................while hoping and praying for the best.

Who the doomsday person is apparently depends on who you ask.  ;D ;D

Personally, I doubt we see any college sports this academic year at all, barring a quick turnaround on a vaccine and getting the doses distributed to the entire populace (which will take longer than people think).
Colleges want no part of that liability and many schools/conferences are just kicking the can down the road to keep faint hope alive for the athletes that they need to stay enrolled and paying. Every sport is gonna feel the hurt. Playing fall or winter sports in the spring? Good luck telling that to the spring athletes that already got screwed over in 2020 that they will get hosed again in 2021. That's what departmental mutinies are made of and will engender years of bad feelings.
Plus, a ton of institutions will have no-fly/no-overnight travel policies enacted campus wide. Local opponents only basically.
Back in April, I was pessimistic about fall sports being played. As the summer progressed and there were still no concrete plans for resumption, that pessimism increased to encapsulate the winter season as well. Schools just recently finalized their plans to even have campuses be open, much less host teams from other institutions that may not share the same health protocols.
They can start a season, but the likelihood they finish a season is remote. The first COVID outbreak that hits the teams/campus will shut down everything.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: blue_jays on August 03, 2020, 03:05:48 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 01, 2020, 06:10:51 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 31, 2020, 09:28:03 PM
Quote from: y_jack_lok on July 31, 2020, 11:23:22 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on July 30, 2020, 02:26:07 PM
Given how spot on this expert was PRIOR TO THE END OF JANUARY, he has been my go to pro (not in an anti-Fauci way..........but Fauci is playing AA ball compared to this cat!!) THIS article is sobering and it's what I've been saying all along about the effectiveness of a vaccine on top of how many people will NOT ever get inoculated. Depressing as hell!!!:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/osterholm-americans-will-be-living-with-the-coronavirus-for-decades-2020-07-30?mod=home-page

That was helpful to read. Discouraging, but helpful nevertheless. Thanks for posting it.

You're welcome! i don't want to be the "doomsday" person on the boards, but I also am seeing more and more of this type of information

I'd rather plan for the worst case scenario................while hoping and praying for the best.

Who the doomsday person is apparently depends on who you ask.  ;D ;D

Personally, I doubt we see any college sports this academic year at all, barring a quick turnaround on a vaccine and getting the doses distributed to the entire populace (which will take longer than people think).
Colleges want no part of that liability and many schools/conferences are just kicking the can down the road to keep faint hope alive for the athletes that they need to stay enrolled and paying. Every sport is gonna feel the hurt. Playing fall or winter sports in the spring? Good luck telling that to the spring athletes that already got screwed over in 2020 that they will get hosed again in 2021. That's what departmental mutinies are made of and will engender years of bad feelings.
Plus, a ton of institutions will have no-fly/no-overnight travel policies enacted campus wide. Local opponents only basically.
Back in April, I was pessimistic about fall sports being played. As the summer progressed and there were still no concrete plans for resumption, that pessimism increased to encapsulate the winter season as well. Schools just recently finalized their plans to even have campuses be open, much less host teams from other institutions that may not share the same health protocols.
They can start a season, but the likelihood they finish a season is remote. The first COVID outbreak that hits the teams/campus will shut down everything.

THIS. RIGHT. HERE.

Especially the last couple of sentences in the first paragraph. I've been saying that for quite a while now. Collegiate Armageddon down aisle 3 and take a left! (no political pun intended ;) ). What the Power 5 Conferences are trying to force through (forget everything else they are using as cover......as in "all sports"......this is about football, football and football). Does the Power 5 really have the stones to divorce itself from all things NCAA? Pat and Dave would know one helluva lot more than me. Stay tuned. The back half of this year and most, if not all of next year, could be as insane as the past few months!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There are certainly those who think the Power 5 will now move to divorce themselves from the NCAA, but I still think they need the NCAA more than anyone realizes.

Everyone looks at the Power 5 through the prism of football and basketball while somehow forgetting all the other sports on their campuses. They aren't exactly going to be thrilled trying to run championships for those sports that the NCAA already runs. And this isn't a problem of "minimums" because they are all well above minimums to begin with - so leaving to cut sports isn't a thing. And the magic that brings in the money for March that basically fuels the entire NCAA budget (and gives even the Power 5 money back) is that the underdog in basketball can beat a Power 5 team. The tournament is a little less appealing if it is only Power 5 teams participating ... and it is watered down if Power 5 has a tournament and so does the NCAA. No one gets the benefit of the "big bucks" that way.

Power 5 already gets its money from the bowl games. Those aren't run by the NCAA. So, the Power 5 is already getting to have it's cake and eat it, too. The problem is, they have a significant problem on their own campuses. The smart thing is to shut things down this fall, but if they do that then they lose football even if the NCAA doesn't directly enforce that sport (at least the championship). Because if they move forward with the football so they can have bowl games, then the rest of their fall sports file one of the easiest lawsuits of all time and the Power 5 schools are screwed.

Is the Power 5 trying to keep sports alive so they don't lose more money? Damn well they are. Are they in disagreement with the NCAA as a result? Yep. Will it result in them splitting off into their own world - I don't really think so.

BTW - The BOG this week could say they are keeping championships going if they want, but that doesn't mean DII and DIII have to agree. Fall sports will be canceled this week ... it is just a matter of who announces it: NCAA BOG or the Divisions themselves.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

There's a retired D1 AD I talk to some.  He's been saying for years there will be a 64 team revolt.  The biggest schools will form eight, eight team leagues and just skip away from the NCAA.  That made a lot of sense to me, until, in the last few years, its become apparent just how far the NCAA is willing to bend over backwards to keep the cash cows around.  There's no real need to split from the NCAA, when the NCAA will eventually let you do whatever you want anyway.

I'm much more aligned with Dave's line of thinking now.  The NCAA is not taking much, in the way of revenue, out of the pockets of those big earning schools.  Even if they run their own championships, there are still costs and administration involved.  It's likely not worth it so long as the NCAA keeps letting the big schools do what they want.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jmcozenlaw

For Dave, Ryan, Gordon and Pat...........

What are you guys hearing about basketball come January 1? With more schools not only shutting down fall sports, but shutting everything down through the end of this calendar year, how do you think things play out?

When can practices start? If schools are keeping students away from the Thanksgiving Break through January 20 (as an example) and want to keep the physical campus hermetically sealed, what can start come January 1 and how? Give me an idea of when you think practices start and games start and end (and how many)?

Also, as many some football players are doing this fall, do you see some basketball players taking a spring 'gap' (vs. playing a significantly reduced number of games) and burning through a year of eligibility?

To me, it's one thing for the student athlete either enrolled in a 4 + 1 or who needs the extra semester or two to graduate. If the student athlete can afford it, will there be a wave of gap semesters?

Thanks gentlemen!!! God Bless.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Way too early to know, honestly.  I think there's some movement to get a Jan-Apr schedule set up - but nobody knows if the infection numbers or vaccine will be a place to make it happen.  As for students taking a year off, I'm sure you'll see a lot of it.  They might get eligibility back for a cancelled season, but they're still paying tuition, and between online classes and no sports, that tuition might not seem worth what they're getting.  I have not heard specific names as it relates to basketball, though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The ball is rolling on at least talk about what to do with the season. I have a Hoopsville podcast coming out Monday (is the plan) with one idea in the works - but who knows what will or won't be done at this point.

Administrators have dealt with the fall ... are coming up for some air ... and then will start looking at the winter sports in more detail. At this point, I think everything from no season at all, to a truncated season, to an ad hoc season (some starting in November, majority starting in January), to a shifted season are all possible ... and I couldn't put betting odds on any of the options right now.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

Thank you Ryan and Dave!! Dave, I am looking forward to the podcast tomorrow.............and since you always have good ideas, the one after that.

I do have an idea, but I'm still contractually in a non-disclosure period that might very well be able to help support D3Hoops and D3Football, as well as something that thye four of you (Pat, Dave, Ryan and Gordon) might be interested in personally. I will broach the subject when I'm allowed.

Pat Coleman

Let us know -- we are trying hard not to go away during this time where our revenue is ... shall we say awful. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I echo Pat ... let us know. I am certainly intrigued.

There may be a delay on the podcast to Tuesday, but we shall see.

I am also working on two other projects per the show and such. One would be a pay-per type thing, but far more in-depth. The other ... is an intriguing idea that needs to massaged to really work right. More on both in the coming months.

Caz Bombers

in the minutes of the July 30 D3 championships committee meeting, I found this towards the bottom. Dave has probably touched on it in a podcast, but for the visual learners among us:

QuoteOne area of continued discussion is the minimum level of sport sponsorship to merit a championship this year. On this topic, members continued an analysis based on varying sponsorship percentages by sport to determine how best to provide a quality championship experience and suggested the following guideline (to be finalized during a future meeting): sports with fewer than 50 sponsors require 90% participation; sports with between 51 and 200 sponsors require 70% participation, and sports with more than 200 sponsors require 60% participation.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville