FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger fan

Defensively the Tigers were just plain bad last year. Hopefully we will see vast improvement on that side of the ball.  HSC has most of it's defensive starters back. I think the number is 9 maybe 10. On offense HSC will lose 4 to graduation. RB,WR,TE,WR, and QB are all back. I don't see a repeat of last year. Come November I expect HSC to be in the thick of the odac championship talk.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

TigerFan, I hope your outlook for the 2017 season is correct because 2016 was painful to watch.
Lots that needs to be improved upon, we'll see if they can get it done.

tigerFanAlso2

"HSC has most of it's defensive starters back"

Is that the good news, bad news story ? If they are coming back I certainly hope the coaches have a development plan. Otherwise, W&L might rush for 650 yards against us next year.

HSCTiger fan

I believe they will be much improved defensively. My concern is second half scoring. HSC only scored 80 points in the second half all of last season. Only 26 in the third quarter!  Meanwhile they gave up 203!  They only out scored one opponent in the second half that being BC (22-14).
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

let's see, could that mean that opposing coaches are making the needed adjustments at half time and HSC is not ?
What else could be the answer; getting out coached, the kids are not in shape and are tired, not substituting enough in first half to keep fresh legs for 4th quarter, defense on the field too much due to turnovers, offense not making enough consecutive first downs, HSC not deferring to receive 2nd half kickoff ... don't know the answer but I bet at least part of it is somewhere above.

I think TO's is a large part of the answer. 19 interceptions in 10 games, really bad statistic and I'm sure a few fumbles are in there as well. Very hard to win with these stats.

HSCTiger fan

Last year's team was young. Especially on defense. when you have to start freshmen there's a very strong possibility their back-ups aren't superstars. I do think that fatigue played a role in second half effort. But with another year the starters and their back-ups will all be improved.  With defensive improvement we'll see better 2nd halves this fall.
Hampden Sydney College

hasanova

Guilford has posted its 2017 football schedule and, in addition to losing Catholic as a conference opponent, we will not play Greensboro after a 20 year run from 1997-2016.  It hasn't been competitive of late with GCQ winning 4 straight and the last three by a collective 198-13.  In addition, we are not playing Averett, but the Quakers are playing at Huntingdon and Methodist from the USASAC.   Here's the full schedule with 4 out of 6 ODAC games at home (no night games except at Davidson):

Sept 2 @ Huntingdon 1 pm
Sept 9 @ Methodist  1 pm
Sept 16 @ Davidson 7 pm
Sept 23 The Apprentice School 1 pm
Sept 30 Open
Oct 7 HSC 1 pm
Oct 14 @ W&L 1 pm
Oct 21 Shenandoah 1 pm
Oct 28 @ Bridgewater 2 pm
Nov 4 RMC 1 pm
Nov 11 E&H 1 pm

jknezek

jknezek

W&L's schedule is up if you know where to look. Much like last year, I am impressed. The Generals are not pulling any punches here.

Sep. 02   Johns Hopkins
Sep. 09   Sewanee
Sep. 16   at Claremont-M-S
Sep. 30   at Emory & Henry *
Oct. 07   Washington (Mo.)
Oct. 14   Guilford *
Oct. 21   at Hampden-Sydney *
Oct. 28   at Randolph-Macon *
Nov. 04   Bridgewater *
Nov. 11   at Shenandoah *

Johns Hopkins and Sewanee were knowns. The trip to California is very interesting. W&L's first flight since a trip to Bermuda more than 20 years ago. Hosting Wash U replaces Catholic. That is a solid opponent. This schedule is ambitious, and I'm very happy to see it. Honestly, all 4 OOC games are what I want to see from W&L. Excellent academic schools with good to very good football programs (yeah, Sewanee is simply traditional and I don't want to lose it. W&L and Sewanee are simply too much like brother institutions).

W&L has a lot of holes to fill this year. This schedule will be very difficult. But I think it shows that W&L under Coach Abell is looking to be more than just a mediocre ODAC team with occasional flashes of championship material.

hasanova

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on January 30, 2017, 09:47:59 AM
Quote from: jknezek on January 29, 2017, 10:12:43 PM
Wow. Only 8 real D3 games.
Yeah, I noticed that also.

I don't think it really matters. The ODAC is pretty much a one bid league. But still, I don't like the implication. I've said again and again that I hate being a 7 team league...

jknezek

Here's Shenandoah:

Sep 2 vs  Gallaudet
Sep 9  at N.C. Wesleyan
Sep 16 at   Hobart   
Sep 28 at RMC (thursday night)
Oct 7 vs E&H
Oct 14 vs Bridgewater
Oct 21 at Guilford
Oct 28 vs Apprentice
Nov 4 at HSC
Nov 11 vs W&L

jknezek

Bridgewater's schedule is incomplete, but they do show an OOC at Wash U 11/11

R-MC, H-SC and E&H I don't see info yet.

I did check Wash U's schedule because I was curious. The perils of transitioning between conferences:

SEP
Sat. 2   Carnegie Mellon
Sat. 9   Chicago
Sat. 16   UW-Whitewater
Sat. 23   at Wartburg
Sat. 30   North Central (Ill.)
OCT
Sat. 7   at Washington and Lee
Sat. 14   Buena Vista
Sat. 28   at Case ^
NOV
Sat. 11   Bridgewater (Va.)

HSCTiger fan

I posted HSC's schedule a couple of weeks ago. HSC 2017 schedule:

2-Sep AVERETT
9-Sep AT CNU
16-Sep WISC-PLATTEVILLE
23-Sep OPEN
30-Sep BC
7-Oct AT GC
14-Oct NNA
21-Oct W&L
28-Oct AT E&H
4-Nov SU
11-Nov AT RMC
Hampden Sydney College

jknezek

So RMC, most of Bridgewater, and E&H are all we are waiting on.