World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Fox

The screen I was watching had no sound, so I didn't hear any stomping.
Fierce When Roused

Joe Wally

Spain was clearly the better team, but Italy was done no favors with Motta going down.

NCF

Team USA fans have to be doing backflips on the teams first win in Mexico EVER!
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

jknezek

Nice to get a first ever win in Mexico... but that was not a pretty game for the U.S. Mexico was clearly dominant and some good defending, plus some great goalkeeping, plus Mexico missing some easy chances gave us the win. It's nice to break the duck, but two understrength teams, playing a friendly, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. I was happier with the win over Italy earlier this year. 6 points in the next round of WC qualifying (back to back games with Jamaica) is infinitely more important.

GarbageGoals33

Any thoughts on the Clint Dempsey saga?  I think he has been an absolute pr*ck thus far.

woacfan

I wonder if its all Dempsey.  US Soccer has been lobbying hard to get him a spot on a Champions League Team.  It seems like he, and everyone on his side of the equation, thought Liverpool was going to pick him up, but apparently they are luke warm...I agree with the FFC manager who called the whole saga "embarassing". 

I was reading about a team in one of the old Soviet Republics that is about to make the Champions League.  Apparently, they are still run like a communist dictatorship.  Maybe Clint could get a spot there!  haha! ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/20/sports/soccer/soccer-team-of-post-soviet-transnistria-dominates-moldovan-league.html?pagewanted=all
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

1970s NESCAC Player

Although possible, it is unlikely Clint has acted in the fashion that GarbageGoals claims.  As Clint tweeted, there are two sides to every story, and the truth will come out.  He has managed to stay above the fray so far and keep his mouth shut, so we only hear the side that makes him look bad.  Let's wait for the whole story once the dust settles.  No matter what, this situation has not been good for his career in the short run.

woacfan

I agree Colbyunion.  It seems like there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes.  Clint has always been a "class-act" (pardon the cliche').  I also think there are a lot of people beyond him that are involved, including US Soccer.  Further, this would really be a first.  The English/Europeans have no respect for American soccer, so the first Champions League team to take him is taking a big risk.  That might be changing now that American interests have invested in the EPL. 
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

sac

ScotsFan

Quote from: sac on August 24, 2012, 02:42:58 PM
Fulham logged a complaint against Liverpool regarding Dempsey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18886354

If Dempsey wants to play in the Champs League, why is he looking at Liverpool?   :P    8-)   ;D

Seriously though, Fulham have looked really good in their first two fixtures WITHOUT Clint, scoring 5 goals in their opener and certainly not laying down in a 3-2 defeat at Old Trafford.

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: ScotsFan on August 28, 2012, 01:39:11 PM

If Dempsey wants to play in the Champs League, why is he looking at Liverpool?   :P    8-)   ;D

He won't be getting there with Fulham.  Liverpool may or may not make it this season, but they are on the rise again.  Personally, I prefer the new role of "plucky underdogs"--takes some of the pressure off.
You'll never walk alone.

GarbageGoals33

Liverpool and Fulham tied on points last year.  I don't see how Liverpool is on the rise considering they got their butts kicked against WBA and have  1 point in two games vs Fulhams 3 pts in 2 games so far this season... Liverpool spent ridiculous money on Carroll (35mil) less than two years ago, now he is on the outs and they will be lucky to get 15 mil for him. They have spent another 15 mil this season on a Swansea player who is less than spectacular.  Fulham just sold Dembele so the chances they continue to finish top 10 took a bit of a hit.  But, if they re-invest that money in a decent manner they should do just fine.

Dempsey has handled his situation miserably.  If Liverpool wanted him they would have bought him already.  Now the odds are that Dempsey is on the way to Sunderland which is laughable.  They would be lucky to finish top half of the table even if they picked up all 20 players they are linked with.  Dempsey needs to stop biting the hand that feeds him.  If Arsenal/Tottenham comes knocking that would be great, if not, sit tight at Fulham and sign with someone on a free next summer.

ScotsFan

I thought King Kenny was supposed to bring Liverpool back?   :o

sac

Quote from: Hoosier Titan on August 28, 2012, 07:31:39 PM
Quote from: ScotsFan on August 28, 2012, 01:39:11 PM

He won't be getting there with Fulham.  Liverpool may or may not make it this season, but they are on the rise again.  Personally, I prefer the new role of "plucky underdogs"--takes some of the pressure off.

I watched them against Man City, they looked more than respectable.  IF they stay healthy they should give a run to the Euro spots.  Although that was Man City without Aguero for 90 and Silva for 75, big difference there.

In the meantime between overdosing on the EPL last fall/winter/spring, the Olympics and my new found like of the show 'Hustle'.....I'm a little English cultured out. ???

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: GarbageGoals33 on August 28, 2012, 09:07:15 PM
Liverpool and Fulham tied on points last year.  I don't see how Liverpool is on the rise considering they got their butts kicked against WBA ...

Let's check at the end of the season, shall we?  One match doesn't say a lot.

Liverpool spent ridiculous money on Carroll (35mil) less than two years ago, now he is on the outs and they will be lucky to get 15 mil for him. They have spent another 15 mil this season on a Swansea player who is less than spectacular. 

For the record, I like Andy Carroll a LOT.  He's worked his socks off and was the best of the Liverpool strikers in the cup matches last season.  The transfer fee was not his fault and it's ridiculous to hold that against him now.  He may not fit into Brendon Rodgers' plans--he may not be quick enough--but he's going to be a great player for someone. And it was not the current manager/football director who bought Carroll for the huge fee.

They have spent another 15 mil this season on a Swansea player who is less than spectacular.

You are presumably referring to Joe Allen, who was 43/46 (96%) for passes completed against the PL Champions Manchester City and voted Man of the Match.  His job isn't scoring, but he does his job spectacularly well.
You'll never walk alone.