MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Quote from: ecreddevils on October 03, 2017, 09:52:39 AM

O'Neil is a nice get for IWU.  Not as skilled as Seibring, but good offensive post skills and soft hands around the basket.  Reminds me a bit of Alex Sorenson, although you probably won't get those numbers out of O'Neil.  Hopefully he's found his fit finally, as these articles indicate, he bounced around even in high school from PCS to ND, IWU will be the 4th college he's committed to if you count UN-Omaha.

ECreddevils is just hoping one more school doesn't work and Eureka becomes stop no 5!!  ;D ;D ;D
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

ecreddevils

Quote from: hopefan on October 03, 2017, 12:39:18 PM

O'Neil is a nice get for IWU.  Not as skilled as Seibring, but good offensive post skills and soft hands around the basket.  Reminds me a bit of Alex Sorenson, although you probably won't get those numbers out of O'Neil.  Hopefully he's found his fit finally, as these articles indicate, he bounced around even in high school from PCS to ND, IWU will be the 4th college he's committed to if you count UN-Omaha.

ECreddevils is just hoping one more school doesn't work and Eureka becomes stop no 5!!  ;D ;D ;D

I wouldn't object!  We do have a 6' 9" Freshman this year who will be interesting to watch.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: ecreddevils on October 03, 2017, 03:03:56 PM

I wouldn't object!  We do have a 6' 9" Freshman this year who will be interesting to watch.

Is he fantasy keeper league worthy?  ;D  :D
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

ecreddevils

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 03, 2017, 03:15:29 PM
Quote from: ecreddevils on October 03, 2017, 03:03:56 PM

Is he fantasy keeper league worthy?  ;D  :D

If blocked shots are a category, yes.

AndOne

JMO, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this kid start for IWU this season.
Looking at the roster/stats from last year, you see they had 6'7" and 6'8" kids who I don't believe even dressed for varsity games, a 6'7" guy who played about 10 minutes all year, and a 6'9" player who was in the rotation, but who averaged less than a basket a game.
You never know how much these players might have improved since last year but, on paper, it would seem like a former D2 player, who flirted with D1, would have the edge going in.
Due to losing their top two rebounders in Bausch and Seibring, it would also not be surprising to see freshman Charlie Bair get some PT. He was a demon on the boards last season playing in west suburban Chicago.

iwu70

AO, agree with you about O'Neil, though from looking at the video of him, he'll have to toughen up, get far more aggressive, quick-footed, to be a positive force for the TITANS in CCIW play.  Seems the Titans have many questions in the front court, rebounding area -- and likely some new faces emerging that we know not of at this point.  Glad to hear what you said about Charlie Bair.  Haven't seen him yet.  IWU has much talent in the back court with Rose and all the others.  Seems a very guard scoring- oriented offense, perhaps a very quick pace likely for the Titans this year.  We'll see tons of treys, as usual, with IWU, perhaps even more than in a normal year. Would be interested in Q's take on what the chart looks like as practice is about to start.  I know, very early to know and all that, but seems some things are clear.  Beasley and Curry have to really step up this year, improve on scoring and surely on rebounding.  Both can run the floor well.

I'll take a guess soon on the chart.

Looking forward to the basketball season, as always.  Looks like a big battle between NCC and Augie to me . . . with the others hopefully not too too far behind. 

IWU'70

iwu70

Of course a long long way to go in pre-season workouts, then pre-CCIW play to settle on a rotation.

But, here's one take:

1 --Coleman/Streety
2 --Rose/Falotico
3 --Bonnett/ ?
4 --Beasley/Curry/Bair?
5 --O'Neil/Burdine or Burdine/O'Neil 

When the TITANS open the season on Wednesday November 15 @The Shirk vs. Benedictine, we'll see if this was at all correct. 

IWU'70

AndOne

An outsider's early take.  ???

1. Rose/Coleman
2. Bonnett/Knobloch
3. Curry/Wallen
4. Beasley/Bair
5. O'Neill/Burdine

No Falotico or Streety

iwu70

AO, you may well be right.  It will be interesting to watch the early practices and Green/White scrimmage for indicators.   I'm sure Q will have a more well-informed view in a few weeks, as we approach opening day.

What's your take on NCC or Augie?

'70

4samuy

There had been some discussion over the last couple of months about Augustana's Pierson Wofford and his dismissal from last years team and whether or not he would have the  opportunity to rejoin his teammates for the 2017-18 season.  Augie77 had mentioned him on the roster for 2017-18 eventhough the roster had not been posted.  Although the roster  still has not been posted, I have confirmation that the Junior will be back with the team as the season opens. 

AndOne

Quote from: iwu70 on October 04, 2017, 10:56:47 PM
AO, you may well be right.  It will be interesting to watch the early practices and Green/White scrimmage for indicators.   I'm sure Q will have a more well-informed view in a few weeks, as we approach opening day.

What's your take on NCC or Augie?

'70
Quote from: 4samuy on October 04, 2017, 11:15:50 PM
There had been some discussion over the last couple of months about Augustana's Pierson Wofford and his dismissal from last years team and whether or not he would have the  opportunity to rejoin his teammates for the 2017-18 season.  Augie77 had mentioned him on the roster for 2017-18 eventhough the roster had not been posted.  Although the roster  still has not been posted, I have confirmation that the Junior will be back with the team as the season opens.

In that case, my early take on both Augie and NCC is that the only logical starting lineup for both is exceedingly easy to predict. Child's play.

For Augie -- Jacob Johnston graduated. Wofford repents and gets reinstated following his transgressions. All you have to do is substitute Wofford for Johnston, and add the other four guys who started last season's final game. 😏

For NCC -- Jagger Anderson graduated. Connor Raridon returns from injury. All you have to do is substitute Raridon for Anderson, and add the other four guys who started last season's final game. 😏

Both initially seem so easy to predict. But reality is rarely that easy. And the #2 guys at each position for both teams is anybody's guess at this point. To be determined in the days between Oct 15 and the first game! :-X   ;D

AndOne

There had been some discussion over the last couple of months about Augustana's Pierson Wofford and his dismissal from last years team and whether or not he would have the  opportunity to rejoin his teammates for the 2017-18 season. Augie77 had mentioned him on the roster for 2017-18 eventhough the roster had not been posted.  Although the roster  still has not been posted, I have confirmation that the Junior will be back with the team as the season opens.

My eyes may have been playing tricks on me but, like Augie77, I seem to remember seeing a 2017-2018 Augie roster that included Wofford, posted on the team site a few weeks ago. 🤔

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: AndOne on October 05, 2017, 02:08:34 AM

For Augie -- Jacob Johnston graduated. Wofford repents and gets reinstated following his transgressions. All you have to do is substitute Wofford for Johnston, and add the other four guys who started last season's final game.

What about Benning?  I was super impressed with his abilities in Salem and, along with his size, makes me feel like he needs more minutes this year.  Grey even commented that he'd come along faster than anyone expected.  A 6'6" dude who can shoot and play defense, might make a bid for a starting spot, right?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

4samuy

Quote from: AndOne on October 05, 2017, 02:18:05 AM
There had been some discussion over the last couple of months about Augustana's Pierson Wofford and his dismissal from last years team and whether or not he would have the  opportunity to rejoin his teammates for the 2017-18 season. Augie77 had mentioned him on the roster for 2017-18 eventhough the roster had not been posted.  Although the roster  still has not been posted, I have confirmation that the Junior will be back with the team as the season opens.

My eyes may have been playing tricks on me but, like Augie77, I seem to remember seeing a 2017-2018 Augie roster that included Wofford, posted on the team site a few weeks ago. 🤔

AO,  you could be right, but I just haven't been able to see the roster.  Their sight still has the '16-'17 roster, as far as I can tell. 

As far as Wofford and Benning, that's a nice problem to have for the Augustana coaches.   IMO Wofford is a better rebounder and Benning a better perimeter shooter,  but both can score and defend in a variety of ways.   The starting perimeter of Orange, Ebel and Sortillo looks pretty much set with Martin Protecting the rim,  but I could see a scenario that both 6'10 Martin and 6'9 Ferguson play long stretches together and even starting together at some point.  Ferguson really started to make progress as his Freshman season ended.   But because Augustanas Offense really stresses a wing player that is Multi dimensional, and can shoot it I believe it may be Benning who replaces Johnstons spot.  Wofford was putting up some pretty good numbers last year before his dismissal, but in the 18 games he played, he started just seven. So, both Benning and Wofford feel comfortable off the bench.  Questions is who's comfortable taking hold of the starting job. I think Giovanine and staff will play around with the line-up a bit to find best combinations.

AndOne

Benning could certainly contend for a starting spot with Wofford being the sixth man. I think it all depends on what Stomper  Giovanine wants out of his starting lineup and how the fifth starter meshes best with the other four. As we all know, some coaches like to make the higher scorer the sixth man in order to be able to bring a little more firepower in off the bench when they begin to sub, and others prefer to begin with the higher scorer and bring more of a rebounder in as the sixth guy. That's part of what I meant when I said it's so simple. Of course I was joking as at this point many things are up in the air for many teams. That's why the period between when formal practice begins and the first game is really tryout time when the starting lineups and the rest of the rotation will be developed. Whoever the sixth guy is for Augie, as with just about any team, he will see lots of minutes and be a vital cog in the success of the team over the course of the entire season.
I based my insertion of Wofford as a starter based on the fact that he was starting at the beginning of last season.