FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

The University of Rochester is a total wildcard when it comes to Athletics. They are the #33 ranked National Research University with over 6,000 undergrads and national reputations ranging from the sciences, technology and music(Eastman School of Music). They have an Endowment of over 2 Billion to support the undergraduate and graduate programs(graduate program enrollment is equal to undergraduate). They have  been a D3 program since I can remember, and athletics has not been a high priority relative to its endowment(although I noticed they are #25 on Directors Cup standings nationwide), but if they ever changed course and decided that athletics could complement their competitiveness overall, they could be highly competitive with the rest of the Liberty League. Coach Marinovitch would have been attractive to them because he succeeded at another great University (MIT), and they probably want to be better otherwise I'm sure Marinovitch would not have made the move. Coach M had to deal with very high admissions standards and U of R is the most selective academically of all the LL schools, so let's see if he can get his target recruits admitted.  I would watch the Yellowjackets in the next few years, because I think they wanted to clean up the program's reputation in all ways. Now if Coach M can't get it done they may lose confidence and blow up the program, but I think he will make some progress based on his success at MIT. 
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Although not football, the Liberty League Champion Hobart Heavyweight crew team qualified for the National Championships to be held in Sacramento next weekend, nationally ranked as the #22 boat against teams like Yale, Princeton, Washington.They will row in the third heat against California, Princeton , Dartmouth, Stanford and FIT on May 31. They qualified for the automatic spot when all three varsity boats won gold at the National Invitational Rowing Championships , beating schools like Michigan, Boston College, Marist, Williams, RIT, Trinity and Bates. Pull Strong Bart !
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

For those of you who enjoy "history" the old ITH broadcasts are available on podbean. We have all the shows from as far back as 2008. Just look up "d3fb" and you should find it. I've enjoyed hearing some of our old banter, interviews and game recaps. Hope you will too during these slow, off-season months.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Oline89

In the slow summer time, here is a question.  Who would make your list of most successful D3 football players?  By "successful"  I don't want to limit to success on the gridiron only, but in politics, business, education, medicine, law, etc.....

Bartman

Quote from: Oline89 on June 03, 2019, 06:42:29 PM
  In the slow summer time, here is a question.  Who would make your list of most successful D3 football players?  By "successful"  I don't want to limit to success on the gridiron only, but in politics, business, education, medicine, law, etc.....
This is a great question, especially since it is not easily " googleable".  Just thinking about past Hobart players, a very successful Athletic Director from the Statesmen gridiron is Jeremy Foley ( Offensive End)who reached the top of his field at U of Florida. Jeremy worked his way up from ticket sales to AD and recruited some of the best Head Coaches in Gator history. He was also very focused on promoting the women Gator programs. I am sure there are plenty of examples in the non sport related fields, but will need to put on the thinking cap.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bartman

Ok, I think this qualifies as successful , Ronald Reagan a fairly well known politician, was a leather helmet lineman for Eureka College of Illinois
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bartman

Richard Nixon was a reserve tackle on the Whittier College football squad , but at 5'11" and 175 pounds there  is no evidence he made it into a game, but he did tape all of the coaches speeches ;)....source is NFL Hall of Fame , Presidents who played football...D3 had 2 Presidents,  although D1 Michigan had the best player in Gerald Ford .....looks like lineman move on to successful careers
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Oline89

Quote from: Bartman on June 04, 2019, 07:52:02 AM
Richard Nixon was a reserve tackle on the Whittier College football squad , but at 5'11" and 175 pounds there  is no evidence he made it into a game, but he did tape all of the coaches speeches ;)....source is NFL Hall of Fame , Presidents who played football...D3 had 2 Presidents,  although D1 Michigan had the best player in Gerald Ford .....looks like lineman move on to successful careers

This exactly what I am looking for!  Running list:

1. R Reagan, Eureka
2. R Nixon, Whittier
3.  J Foley, Hobart

BTW, I don't think success on the football field has any influence on the list.   Just being a part of the team, sacrifices made, time commitment, etc, is where the real lessons are learned and the true benefit of playing college football is realized.  Looking forward to additions to the list, hopefully other regions will chime in.....

ITH radio

Frank and I were actually just talking about adding a monthly segment where we highlight a former D3FB player and how things have gone for them in their professional careers, life, etc. post-graduation. We welcome ideas like this - albeit I'm sure our targets will be closer to our run of the past 11-12 seasons, so to speak, but certainly open to any suggestions.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Bartman

Quote from: Oline89 on June 04, 2019, 09:26:44 AM
Quote from: Bartman on June 04, 2019, 07:52:02 AM

This exactly what I am looking for!  Running list:

1. R Reagan, Eureka
2. R Nixon, Whittier
3.  J Foley, Hobart

BTW, I don't think success on the football field has any influence on the list.   Just being a part of the team, sacrifices made, time commitment, etc, is where the real lessons are learned and the true benefit of playing college football is realized.  Looking forward to additions to the list, hopefully other regions will chime in.....
Oline, +k for trying to get some board activity going....IMO Ronald Reagan will probably remain on top, while Nixon and Foley will slip with new additions
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bartman

Oline,
      Dave Jennings , St.Lawrence '74 and an actual opponent of Bartman, was probably the best D3 Punter ever and also played basketball for the Saints. Dave was an All Pro in the NFL , selected to the N.Y. Giant Ring of Honor and to qualify for this list, a successful Broadcaster post NFL for both the Giants and the Jets. Dave passed away from Parkinson's in 2013.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

@d3jason

Quote from: ITH radio on June 04, 2019, 12:47:09 PM
Frank and I were actually just talking about adding a monthly segment where we highlight a former D3FB player and how things have gone for them in their professional careers, life, etc. post-graduation. We welcome ideas like this - albeit I'm sure our targets will be closer to our run of the past 11-12 seasons, so to speak, but certainly open to any suggestions.

2004 Gagliardi Trophy winner Rocky Myers would be interesting: Has a law degree, is a working actor and model in California

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2728841/

Oline89

Quote from: @d3jason on June 05, 2019, 08:42:19 AM
Quote from: ITH radio on June 04, 2019, 12:47:09 PM

2004 Gagliardi Trophy winner Rocky Myers would be interesting: Has a law degree, is a working actor and model in California

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2728841/

Rocky seems to be the epitome of a D3 athlete, I wonder if he has chosen the law or acting at this point?   Really interesting stat I read recently concerning D3 Football: "Among schools with football programs, the graduation rate for student-athletes was 74 percent compared with 52 percent for all male students."  I am sure this translates directly to success in the real world.  I think we should add at least one pro athlete to the list at this point:

1. R Reagan, Eureka
2. R Nixon, Whittier
3. J Foley, Hobart
4. P Garcon, MU
5. D Jennings, SLU
6. R Myers, Wesley

Bartman

Samuel Palmisano , past CEO of IBM was a kick ass Olineman and co-captain for John's Hopkins. Playing on the line seems to be great preparation for success post football. 😀
I think I will pause for awhile , I have to go back to work so I can earn a spot on this list😂
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

sigma one

From a success at football point of view, I'll mention Pete Metzelaars.  Pete played TE at Wabash, graduating in 1982.  While a Little Giant, he played on an undefeated football team and also was All-American in basketball, during his senior season leading the LGs to a Division III national title.  In the championship game v. Potsdam St, Pete scored 45 points.  He was drafted in the third round by the Seattle Seahawks.   He played in Seattle for three years and was traded to the Buffalo Bills.  He was the starting TE on all four of the Bills Super Bowl losses.  He finished his 16-year NFL career with the Carolina Panthers and Detroit Lions.  He played 235 NFL games at TE--which at the time of his retirement was the most games ever by a TE.  As a side note:  Pete caught the first TD pass in Carolina history.   He caught a total of 380+ passes during his career.
     He went on to coach for several NFL teams, finally getting a Super Bowl ring with the Indianapolis Colts.