WBB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by charge, October 30, 2004, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester1390

Engineer my daughter is going to play for rose can you tell me about the other teams in the conference far as who has nice gyms and cities to visit 

Pat Coleman

Hey there -- welcome to the board. Just merging this in here.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jester1390

Here is film on the recruiting class of Rose

Jordan Barlow  Kansas   www.hudl.com/video/3/8865272/5a9b167438641e0cdcd7c9a6

www.hudl.com/video/3/8865272/5a9b167438641e0cdcd7c9a6

Kahlan Jester    3 pointers    www.hudl.com/video/3/8865272/5a9b167438641e0cdcd7c9a6

2 pointers  www.hudl.com/video/3/8865272/5a9b26b6c1250b0e74cedbb5

Assists and Ball handling  www.hudl.com/video/3/8865272/5a9b2da8066b380d90bf6933

Rebounds,Blocks,Steals  www.hudl.com/video/3/8865272/5a9b32f3ff0ca8053ce653a9

complete game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVgVjNvlQ1c&t=3794s

Enginerd

Transfer from Bradley
Shooter
Check out the very last shot on the first film - nothing but net from beyond the volleyball line.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/10565665/Nola-Wilson

Enginerd

Welcome to the board, Jester, and try not to get your hopes up too much - you're the first new person to the HCAC board since I joined 5 years ago. There's a Franklin grad around here somewhere, but he's long-gone since their women's program's glory days, and even then, there was never anyone for him to converse with.

There might not be a team in COLLEGE BASKETBALL that lost a higher percentage of its minutes, points, and rebounds. It will be interesting to see what happens this year with all the new faces - my son and daughter-in-law get to some games (mostly men's games) and he heard that the incoming freshmen group might be among the best in the country - but will be interesting with Freshmen playing a lot of minutes. What have YOU heard about RHIT's incoming class and projected competitive-ness in the HCAC this year?

Whenever I get lonely, I saunter over to the CCIW board, since RHIT usually plays some of their teams and  there are some good guys over there who are very knowledgeable and genuinely care about the sport - but be forewarned - they have zero respect for the conference, like the majority of D-III. If RHIT happens to play IL. Wesleyan this year and loses, you can expect a full re-cap along with half a dozen commentators - but if RHIT were to happen to win, it will be as if the game never occurred. RHIT blasted IWU by 30 back in 2015, and it is literally the only game in the history of the CCIW board that was not reported nor commented on...as though it never happened.

Also - you will be struck by how long and athletic the better D-III teams are - and you'll wonder how in the world that kind of talent wound up in D-III relying solely on merit and need-based financial aid. PART of the answer is that better-educated families with high-academic daughters will CONSIDER playing down for academics. Another part is that there are a disproportionately high percentage of U. of Wisconsin schools (that are hyper-competitive in D-III sports in general but WBB in particular) and, to a lesser extent, some state schools back East, where it costs a tiny fraction of what you are paying at RHIT, to attend and play. As an example, UW-Whitewater extends in-state tuition to neighboring states, likely to help them out in sports. If you think I'm exaggerating, check out their football roster!

As for schools without elite academics or cut-rate public-school tuition, that still manage to field elite teams in certain sports year-in-and-out (excepting the occasional good recruiting class of local kids), well....

As for your questions...

Best facilities are, in order, and in IMHO:

RHIT
Transy
Bluffton
Hanover
Earlham
Franklin
Anderson
MSJ
Manchester
Defiance

Best city to visit is by FAR Lexington for variety of hotels and food, followed by Franklin (on the south side of Indy) and, believe it or not, Terre Haute - but only because the other options are so bad. We drove over a few years ago to watch my great-niece play and very nearly got lost trying to find a decent restaurant at MSJ. You would think the options when visiting MSJ would be better, being practically in Cincinnati - but it is up on top of a small mountain on the outskirts of town, and is a 20-minute drive over another mountain on a two-lane road through several pastoral neighborhoods, to get to a hotel or restaurants. Additionally, the school itself is oddly a large single building, resembling an older-looking brick hospital from the 1950's. Perhaps the only college in America (certainly of my own experience) that is entirely self-contained within a single large building - dorms, classrooms, cafeteria, and athletic facilities all under one roof.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Enginerd on August 27, 2019, 12:08:30 PM
Welcome to the board, Jester, and try not to get your hopes up too much - you're the first new person to the HCAC board since I joined 5 years ago. There's a Franklin grad around here somewhere, but he's long-gone since their women's program's glory days, and even then, there was never anyone for him to converse with.
Yeah, it's generally quite quiet around here, there's usually not much of a reason to check in too often. The mens board is pretty similar too. Football board gets a little bit of action at least. The problem is there just aren't very many HCAC folks around here.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Jester1390

well now there is 3 lol

Jester1390

we leave tomorrow to bring her to campus. Exciting times

Jester1390

Met all the freshman and they are tall and athletic and the guard destiny is really quick

Jester1390

messed up her name is Desirae

Jester1390

Engin

My daughter is home for the weekend they start practice next week.  I dont know much about the history of RHIT basketball except they have been really good the past few years but after seeing how my kid and the other students have to adapt to the rigors of this school academically and then also juggle sports if they didnt win a game they would have my respect.  However that is not going to happen I have heard also that they believe the freshman class is extremely strong.  I believe there is 4 returning players.  My daughter is coming from a bad high school program where she was asked to do it all.  I cannot tell you how excited she is to play with talented women and to finally have help with that burden.  My daughter grew up as a point guard and then all of sudden shot to 6 feet.  For the last 3 years she has been told you wont have to play point  you can be a 2 or 3 but it always ended up the team needed her at point.   At Rose that wont be an issue  and I liked it when the coach called her a point forward.  I dont have any experience with the conference i dont know if its like MIAC which is strong or the UMAC which is weaker.  I do know that it sounds like the chemistry is really good allready with all the players  and  I have not seen my daughter this excited to play ball in a long time.

oh also on MSJ . I have a school just like you described,  My daughters high school coach knows the coach at Mayville its a NAIA power team.  it was the first school she visited as a junior.   It was a one block campus and the assistant coach asked her where she was from and she said Minneapolis she said why would you want to come here,   Amazing lol  I had brought one of her friends with  who struggled more academically so she could see a NAIA school.  My son played baseball for Doane and it was a great campus.   Mayville is not.  They both told me they would pay me not to go to school there. They do have a good basketball program though,

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Jester1390 on October 12, 2019, 01:19:55 AM
I dont have any experience with the conference i dont know if its like MIAC which is strong or the UMAC which is weaker.
Definitely not MIAC level, a bit better than UMAC. Transy winning 2 playoff games last year I think were the first wins for the conference since 2014.
Most of the schools average a bit over 1000 students. Rose is the largest in the conference with around 2000 I believe.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer