WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundball999

After 4 games, not quite sure what to make of the Flying Dutch.  They've gone 4-0 and have been destroying opponents by an average score of 84-38.  But they haven't played an elite team even though some of the teams they've throttled are typically solid.  They look so good sometimes and others kind of sloppy, turnovers today were a problem area for example.  On the other hand, that may be because they are going deep into the bench early - no one playing more than 18 mins/game and everyone getting at least 7 mins/game - so maybe a little hard to establish continuity.  One thing that may be the difference maker for this team is defense; allowing only 38 ppg and holding opponents to 26% shooting from the field and 17% from 3 even with everyone getting lots of minutes, that's pretty impressive.  I'm very optimistic but need to see them play a top tier team before I get too carried away :)

AlwaysHope

I heard that one Hope player is out for the year.  Who is that?

Enginerd

Quote from: Roundball999 on November 16, 2019, 06:50:47 PM
After 4 games, not quite sure what to make of the Flying Dutch.  They've gone 4-0 and have been destroying opponents by an average score of 84-38.  But they haven't played an elite team even though some of the teams they've throttled are typically solid.  They look so good sometimes and others kind of sloppy, turnovers today were a problem area for example.  On the other hand, that may be because they are going deep into the bench early - no one playing more than 18 mins/game and everyone getting at least 7 mins/game - so maybe a little hard to establish continuity.  One thing that may be the difference maker for this team is defense; allowing only 38 ppg and holding opponents to 26% shooting from the field and 17% from 3 even with everyone getting lots of minutes, that's pretty impressive.  I'm very optimistic but need to see them play a top tier team before I get too carried away :)

When you have 8-10 Division II and Division I-caliber players on your roster, you will destroy most Division III opponents. I've been waiting a couple years for this Hope team to emerge. They will have 2-3 close games in the MIAA this year (likely on the road at Calvin, Albion, or Trine, or all three), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them run the table. If I were a Hope fan, I'd be concerned about them not being tested enough prior to the NCAA Tournament. Hope is usually ridiculously talented, but this team is something else, and has been since the junior class arrived. Barring an NCAA Tournament stumble, they should reach a couple Final Fours, and might even win one in the next couple seasons.

TUAngola

Trine WBB splits 1st weekend of play, beating Marietta and losing to Ohio Wesleyan.

Wasn't able to make the Marietta game but attended the OWU game.  This team will be a work in progress to find it's identity.  The last few years if we struggled in a game we always had Brandi to carry the load down the stretch.  We won't have the luxury anymore, going to have to find ways to win by committee.  We are very young, have 2 upperclassmen in the 10 girl rotation, the rest are sophomores and freshman.  The first half was very ugly for both teams.  Shooting was awful.  OWU played a zone and we struggled to run the offense against it.  We had the height advantage on OWU but all we wanted to do was jack up 3's, which were not falling.  Our defense played decent in the 1st half, which is usually a staple of Trine basketball.  The second half we did a better job of getting the ball inside.  However OWU played almost flawless against us, especially the 4th quarter.  This didn't miss...anything...they were patient and ran the clock down with their sets.  They hit runners, jumpers, 3s, free throws.  Just made it difficult for Trine to gain any momentum at all. 

Coaches will have a lot of teaching to do breaking down the game film.  Lots of areas need to be cleaned up.  Not going to be able to just show up and win.

Also watched the 1st game between Albion and Marietta.  Albion dominated play the 1st half but Marietta fought it's way back in the second and actually took the lead for a time before Albion regained it's footing to win.  Albion is going to cause problems for the MIAA this year.  They are very experienced and have a good combination of inside and outside play.

TUAngola

Quote from: TUAngola on November 17, 2019, 09:54:37 AM
Trine WBB splits 1st weekend of play, beating Marietta and losing to Ohio Wesleyan.

Wasn't able to make the Marietta game but attended the OWU game.  This team will be a work in progress to find it's identity.  The last few years if we struggled in a game we always had Brandi to carry the load down the stretch.  We won't have the luxury anymore, going to have to find ways to win by committee.  We are very young, have 2 upperclassmen in the 10 girl rotation, the rest are sophomores and freshman.  The first half was very ugly for both teams.  Shooting was awful.  OWU played a zone and we struggled to run the offense against it.  We had the height advantage on OWU but all we wanted to do was jack up 3's, which were not falling.  Our defense played decent in the 1st half, which is usually a staple of Trine basketball.  The second half we did a better job of getting the ball inside.  However OWU played almost flawless against us, especially the 4th quarter.  This didn't miss...anything...they were patient and ran the clock down with their sets.  They hit runners, jumpers, 3s, free throws.  Just made it difficult for Trine to gain any momentum at all. 

Coaches will have a lot of teaching to do breaking down the game film.  Lots of areas need to be cleaned up.  Not going to be able to just show up and win.

Also watched the 1st game between Albion and Marietta.  Albion dominated play the 1st half but Marietta fought it's way back in the second and actually took the lead for a time before Albion regained it's footing to win.  Albion is going to cause problems for the MIAA this year.  They are very experienced and have a good combination of inside and outside play.
Went back to look at the stats, OWU shot 65% from the field in the second half and 93% from the FT line for the game.  That will win you some ball games  ;D.  Another stat that stood out to me was fast break points, we only had 2.  We didn't do a very good job at creating turnovers or getting the rebound and getting out on the break.  That had been a staple of prior Trine teams.

TUAngola

Final last night, Trine over Oberlin 63-31.

I really couldn't tell if we played any better last night than we did in the loss against OWU as Oberlin isn't a very good shooting team.  Oberlin does have a nice center in Sorrels who swatted away quite a few shots inside.  One interesting thing Coach Rang did tonight is do wholesale changes with subs...5 in, 5 out.  The starters to me were outplayed by our second 5 tonight.  The difference being the second 5 had better ball movement on offense and they had girls not afraid to dribble drive to the hoop.  The other thing that was better with our second 5 is they play with much more defensive intensity.  Coach wasn't happy with how the first 5 were playing and substituted in the second 5 a little over 2 minutes into the game.  Bieniewicz went out in the second half with what appeared to be a neck injury when an Oberlin girl fell on top of her.  Little used Sophia Kreag replaced her and promptly nailed 3 3pointers in a row.  That was a nice spark as our outside shooting hasn't been good so far this year, but was better tonight.  Taylor struggled inside with Sorrels athleticism and just couldn't buy a bucket.

Trine now goes on the road for 5 games beginning with 2 games in Chicago this weekend, and won't return to MTI Center until just before Christmas.  They still have a lot of things to work on to get better.  To me so far this season there is a pretty significant gap between Hope and the rest of the league.  Albion though has the experience and athleticism to maybe cause some havoc and be right there with Hope.  They just don't have the depth that Hope does.

TUAngola

Trine loses to Univ of Chicago in OT last night 79-70.

Encouraging that we played pretty well for 3+ quarters against a pretty good Chicago squad, just couldn't finish the deal.  Unfortunate that Katy missed some FTs down the stretch that would have sealed it.  The girls just ran out of gas in OT, too many turnovers and couldn't buy a bucket.  Starter Tara Bieniewicz didn't play as she was injured in the last game.

Quick turnaround today against another quality team in Kenyon.  Will be interesting to see how mentally tough this young squad is after the heartbreaking loss last night.

In other news Hope continues to destroy teams and Albion is playing very well.  As I mentioned before they have the experience in Hinton, Wischmeyer and Bernas but frosh guard Welker is very talented and making them more balanced between inside and perimeter play. 

Roundball999

Quote from: TUAngola on November 23, 2019, 11:33:49 AM
Trine loses to Univ of Chicago in OT last night 79-70.

Encouraging that we played pretty well for 3+ quarters against a pretty good Chicago squad, just couldn't finish the deal.  Unfortunate that Katy missed some FTs down the stretch that would have sealed it.  The girls just ran out of gas in OT, too many turnovers and couldn't buy a bucket.  Starter Tara Bieniewicz didn't play as she was injured in the last game.

Quick turnaround today against another quality team in Kenyon.  Will be interesting to see how mentally tough this young squad is after the heartbreaking loss last night.

In other news Hope continues to destroy teams and Albion is playing very well.  As I mentioned before they have the experience in Hinton, Wischmeyer and Bernas but frosh guard Welker is very talented and making them more balanced between inside and perimeter play. 

No such thing as a good loss but Chicago is always very tough, looks like Trine has a very solid team.  No doubt they'll improve too as they continue to adjust to not having Dawson as the go-to player at clutch time.

Hope definitely looking good, but the teams they've played have a combined 4-12 record.  On the other hand, Hope has gone deep on the bench early in every game.  Game today vs. Mt. Union should be a better barometer.

Flying Dutch Fan

Hope 82
Mount Union 48

Hope continues to dominate
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Roundball999

Through last night's games, Flying Dutch racking up some impressive team stats:

14.29 turnover margin, #1 NCAA D3
43.9 ppg scoring margin, #1
40.6 ppg scoring defense, #3 (#1 and #2 have played only 3 games v. 7 for the Dutch)
1.27 assist/turnover ratio, #6

Top 20 nationally in several other team statistical categories.  Rebound margin is 10.3, #40.  Given their size I would have thought the'd be ranked higher here.  But generally they appear to be playing great defense, scoring at a torrid pace, and taking care of the ball.  That'll win you a few games :)

Not surprisingly, no one shows in the top 50 for any individual statistical category.   Playing team ball and distributing the minutes among a lot of players, as they should be with their scoring margin

Roundball999

Hope over Calvin 64-38 at Calvin, where the Dutch have often had trouble.  The Dutch jumped out to a 9-0 lead just a few minutes into the game, then 16-4 near the end of the 1st quarter.  From there on, didn't light it up offensively but just kept gradually widening the lead throughout the rest of the game.  The defense was fantastic again including holding a very good Gabby Timmer to 6 points on 3-11 shooting.  12 to the good on turnover margin and +15 rebound margin.  Calvin doesn't quite have the size and talent of the past but they played with passion throughout.

This Hope defense is making me a believer, I'm thinking with Amherst and St. Thomas losing that the Dutch might deserve some #1 vote consideration.  They are playing with exceptional ball pressure around the perimeter and have 6'2" and 6'3" rim defenders underneath.  Offense can come and go, as some very good Dutch teams have experienced in the Tournament in recent years, but this defense may be a difference maker.

Flying Dutch Fan

I completely agree on the defense being really really good for Hope. Not often you see a team shoot 34% from the floor and win by 26. Even the Calvin guys on the video stream said it might be one of the best defensive teams Hope has had in some time. And it's a team that starts all juniors and the next 5 off the bench are also underclassmen.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

scottiedawg

Massey probabilities give Hope a 42.67% chance of running the tables.

Massey % Chance of Winning, count of remaining 16 games:
100% −−  6
99% −−  3
98% −−  1
97% −−  1
96% −−  1
94% −−  1 (Albion)
87% −−  1 (@Albion)
83% −−  1 (Trine)
71% −−  1 (@Trine)

scottiedawg

Probability other undefeated teams run the table:
Tufts − 9.00% chance
Bowdoin − 14.46% chance
Bethel − 2.00%
Scranton − 9.22%
Williams − 0.06%

gordonmann

That's cool. I didn't know Massey did that.