WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJA

From what I know she was only used sparingly when needed.....very end of the game to hit those three's....she didn't play against AC...I agree with tniem, probably to save her for later in the tourney.

Flying Dutch Fan

An amazing performance by Kristen MacDonald last night, and a huge win for Calvin.  The strange part was that the two halves seemed like different games.  Clavin leads 21-18 at half, and then the teams score 50 and 53 points in the second half.  Hope couldn't buy a 3 point basket which really hurt.

The biggest surprise to me (this being only my 4th womens game this year) was how absolutely horrible the officiating was.   I have witnessed some really poor officiating in my life (including 3rd grade rec league) but nothing even close to this. This bordered on criminal.  In the first half they called a total of about 8 fouls - in the second half, something like 36.  And the fouls being called were so inconsistent.  Perfect example of their incosistency:

- A Hope player scores on a layup and goes down, grabbing her knee, and stuggling to get back up.  She eventualy gets up and hobbles down court - no interaction from the refs.  While she is hobbling down court, Calvin scores on a similar play, and the Calvin player is now hobbling - whistle to stop play.

I typically follow the mens games more closely - and I am known to let the officials know what I think.  I can tell you that I will be shaking the hand of every official we have on the mens side - because I have now seen how bad it could really be.

Dark Knight

A strange season. Hope beat Calvin twice; Calvin beat Albion twice; and Albion  beat Hope twice. At least, I think that's how it went.  

MacDonald  was ice cold in the first two  meetings with Hope, hitting on 2 of 23  field goal attempts.  But this night she got 40 points,  topping the MIAA previous tournament record of 34, and tying the Calvin record. In addition, she set the Calvin season mark for assists.

After a hard-fought first half that saw Calvin take a 21-18 lead with a three by MacDonald at the end, she added three more treys early in the second half to raise the lead to as much as 12. Hope battled back furiously, but would come no closer than four.

Add sudden-death playoffs to an already intense Calvin-Hope rivalry, mix in seniors possibly playing their last games, and you get quite a spectacle!

knightrider

Tniem- sorry i didn't get the post before the game I would have met you.  I was there.  I was actually doing the book for calvin at the table.  I probably stood out like a sore thumb with all the blue and orange around me with me being in gold, but oh well.  I will be at the guys game tonight if you want to meet there.

FDF- I will have to totally disagree with you about the referees.  I will give you that you have a lagitamate gripe about when bria was hurt and they didn't stop play and then holleman got hurt and they did, but lets remember that it is the trail referees decision to stop the play or not.  One official, the one following bria up the court decided that he couldn't stop the play, and the one following hollemans thought he could, so its a judgment call that one decided to make and the other didn't.

I thought the officiating was fine.  I thought they did a nice job.  They were a little more call happy in the second half, but they kept it even.  Lets also remember the time they called three fouls on calvin within 5 seconds of eachother.  I was doing the book and it was within 5 seconds of eachother.  Also, while doing the book, the hope book keeper and I were talking a lot and he seamed to think that yes somethings needed to be called more, but that overall it was a well officiated game.

In the end, no one is able to say that officiating affected the outcome.  MacDonald wasn't missing, hope didn't play defense on her ( which is to her credit for creating the space she needs to shoot) and calvin was very tough on the defensive end.  Overall, I think that the game could have gone either way, but Calvin happened to get a few tips and loose balls here and there with some amazing shooting from macdonald.

Just another great installment in the Hope/Calvin rivalry and i can't wait for the guys game and the women's championship on saturday

Flying Dutch Fan

Knightrider - I never said that the outcome of the game was decided by the refs.  I do totally disagree with you about the consistency in the calls - and I don't mean versus one team or the other.  The problem I had is that a foul during one part of the game should be a foul the entire game - they were totally in-consistent about that - and it was similar to a roller coaster ride.  That makes it very difficult for the players to play, as the officials are basically changing the rules.

wizard

FDF, have a nice summer!

tniem

Knight - sorry I wasn't on at all today.  Would have loved to meet you at the guy's game tonight.  Would have been the one bright spot for me.  Hope you enjoyed the last two nights.  Maybe at a baseball game this spring?

MacDonald played amazing last night.  She accounted for something like 2/3rds of your points.  That was just a great effort.  If she is able to do that every night, you can't lose.

I agree with FDF on the officiating, I thought Hope got away with murder (and vice versa to a degree) on the perimeter but there were a number of touch falls underneath.  But, you almost never lose because of the stripes, last night we lost because of a one-woman wrecking crew.  Tonight, a total team bombing expedition.  Hard to stomach but it happens.

Dark Knight

So who's got the scoop on the Calvin-Albion game? From the box score it looks like Calvin won 60-47, and Lisa Winkle had a huge game with 23 points and 12 rebounds, MacDonald with 19 points. The other most telling stat I can find is FG%, 44% for Calvin and 29% Albion. What's the story?

Dark Knight

A curious turn of events. Last year, third-place Albion beat first-place Calvin in the MIAA tourney title game. This year, third-place Calvin beat first-place Albion.  

Last year Albion lost in its first NCAA playoff game to Wilmington, 66-62. It would be great to see the Knights make a good run this year!

knightrider

Dark Knight

you want the story here it is.  Credit calvin's great defense for this win.  When you can hold ruth sventickis to 0 points when she tears hope up for 22 the week before, you know you are doing something right.  Calvin had a good lead, and the albion made a run, but then winkle caught fire and it was no turning back.  Albion played tough, but with the knights defense, there wasn't much you could do.  

To me you gotta give a lot of credit to calvin's post for playing so well.  Lisa winkle had 23 points and 12 boards, and sarah winkle had 8 boards.  Nan played well too, and all contributed to holding albion's post to little scoring inside.  

I think albion still has a good shot at getting in the tourney but with three losses to one team it may be tough.  well see tonight

d-mac

It is time to find out who is in... and who is out.
Whose bubble has been burst and who is wearing Cinderella's glass slippers.
It's Selection Sunday... and tonight there will be a special "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" as the 2005 NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Brackets are announced... LIVE on our air!
The Road to Salem and Virginia Beach officially starts tonight!

It plans to be a huge night... as 50 womens and 48 mens teams are officially invited to the dance and a chance at a national title.

Some teams already know they are going (thanks to winning their conferences) and some think they are going, but there are always surprises.

So tonight, we will break it all down. Starting at 8:30 PM EST, we will take a look at who is definitely in, who might make it, who will be disappointed, and what match-ups you might want to look forward to seeing later in the week.

Then at 10:00 PM EST... we will broadcast LIVE the Women's Selection Show so you can find out when we do... the 50 teams on the Road to Virginia Beach.

That will be followed by the Men's Selection Show at 10:30 PM EST - when 48 teams find out what their Road to Salem will be like.

After those selections... we will go over it with a fine-tooth comb and find out who we think are the surprises!

And throughout the show, we will hear from different regions with live reports and talk to coaches that have made surprising moves into the tournament.

Of course, you can listen in thank to http://www.goucher.edu/radio">Goucher College.
We suggest you try and use the low-bandwith signal which will require you to have htpp://forms.real.com/netzip/getrde601.html?h=software-dl.real.com&r=2723cbe80ea75bfa7021&f=windows/RealPlayer10-5GOLD_bb.exe&p=RealOne Player&oem=dlrhap_bb&tagtype=ie&type=dlrhap_bb">Real Player and selection the rtsp://helix.goucher.edu/broadcast/goucherradiolb">28K version of the show.
At the same time, you can listen to the Broadcastmonsters.com version, using http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/download/download.aspx">Windows Media Player (go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for more information).

And you can share your opinions and questions with us, live on the air.
email - mailto:hoopsville@d3hoops.com">hoopsville@d3hoops.com  
AOL IM - Hoopsville2000

And for more information... check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" website (http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville" target=_top>www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville)!

Again... it all starts tonight at 8:30 PM EST.

knightrider

I think the knights got a good draw and albion got a christmas present.  Calvin will host franklin on wednesday, and somehow albion gets a bye.  I don't understand that but whatever.  If someone can explain to me how a team can lose three times to one team in a year and still get placed ahead of that team in the seeding, id love to hear it.

tniem

It has to do with the teams the Regional Rankings.  I don't think the Knights were in without the Conf. win.  They were behind Hope and Albion in the rankings all winter.  I am not saying that is the right way to do things but it certainly seems that they use those Rankings to decide everything.  Same thing on the Men's side with Albion ahead of Calvin in the rankings by a lot (although on the court they were maybe only slightly better with two close wins and one close loss).  It should get better in the next couple years with the addition of more slots but even then, they will probably use these rankings too much.

Dark Knight

It's too bad that Hope didn't also get in. Hope, Calvin, and Albion seemed so close over the course of the year, and Calvin got by Hope only through a career performance by McDonald.

I'd guess Albion got in before Hope because Hope lost in the semifinals of the tournament, Albion in the finals. But Hope faced Calvin first only because of the MIAA's tiebreaker rules!

Does the number of teams in the tournament go up next year for the women's side also?

flavaflav

You are all forgetting that Albion has five wins over regionally ranked foes (Hope x2, Baldwin Wallace, Franklin, & Wash.& Jefferson) and their three D3 losses are all to regionally ranked opponents (Calvin x3).  Calvin also has 5 wins over regional opponents (Albion x3, Hope, Wheaton), but has a couple bad losses (Tri-State and Thomas More).  It is my belief that the selection committee had a tough choice between Calvin and Albion as to which would be higher rated but chose Albion based on the fact they have performed consistently better on the year.  
Dark Knight, you should not find it as a surprise to see Albion far ahead of Hope in the selection committee's eyes.  They have not had the quality wins Albion has, have losses where Albion does not (non-conference D3 - rockford) and lost both games head-to-head with Albion on the year.  It is obvious to MIAA followers that Hope, Albion, and Calvin are equals in so many ways and it is unfortunate that one of them could not get in- but Hope simply didn't perform against the teams it needed to on the year. Had Hope beaten Rockford earlier this year i believe we may have seen an unheard of three MIAA teams in the dance.  

Should be a great NCAA tourney. Calvin opens up with a winnable game against Franklin (whom Albion beat earlier this year) and Albion has a nice draw against the winner of a BW team they have already beaten and Denison.  If not for Depauw we would almost surely be seeing an MIAA in the quarters.