MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Nevermind, that would not be newsworthy...but it might be a good idea.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on August 15, 2019, 09:48:19 PM
Also, I'm hoping there will be a newsworthy article regarding the SLIAC coming out in Dhoops.com in the near future... I was made privy, and rather than post here, I passed it on to Pat and staff... keep your eyes open....

I'm excited to learn what this is about.

GU1999

GU99's guess:

Maryville realizes the error of its ways, leaves D2 and comes back home?

That or... 

Parks college bifurcates from SLU, restarts its own athletic programs and rejoins the league.

OR

Lincoln Christian...

hopefan

Quote from: GU1999 on August 16, 2019, 03:07:04 PM
GU99's guess:

Maryville realizes the error of its ways, leaves D2 and comes back home?

That or... 

Parks college bifurcates from SLU, restarts its own athletic programs and rejoins the league.

OR

Lincoln Christian...

For a Greenville College XX t-shirt, I could put you in the loop prior to the public!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

^^^ Extorting t-shirts from fellow posters is likely a violation of the terms of service.  :D :D

GU1999

Sorry Hope, Greenville "College" shirts are antiques now.  Sme may say vintage... 

Very pricey on the second hand market. 

hopefan

hopefan

We'll just have to wait and see as to if and when D3hoops publishes an article about the "lead" I got to them.... ;) ;) ;)... let me tell you, it's a stunner....

In other news, Fontbonne becomes the 4th team to put out their schedule (Behind Webster, Greenville and Iowa Wesleyan)....
I'm disappointed in the Fontbonne sked, as 3 of the 7 non-conf games are against non NCAA teams... Stl Pharma, Waldorf, and a likely possibility vs Moody Bible in the Moody tourney up in Chicago....   I really like Greenville's and Webster's schedules, Iowa wesleyan's is kind of bland and short one game...

Waiting on BC, EC, WC, Prin, Spalding, and Mac....

WUPHF

I do like that Fontbonne has scheduled a public scrimmage on November 1. 

Or, what appears to be a public scrimmage.

It will be interesting to see if they are going to try to make an event out of it.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on August 19, 2019, 06:23:26 AM
We'll just have to wait and see as to if and when D3hoops publishes an article about the "lead" I got to them.... ;) ;) ;)... let me tell you, it's a stunner....

Just curious -- is this something that's actually going to happen, or is it a rumor that is as yet unconfirmed, thus the need for explorarion to determine if it can/should be made known.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm planning to make some calls and hopefully write something in the future, hopefan, but it's public info - you can find it on the conference website.  No need for secrecy:

https://www.sliac.org/information/Manual/Sportsmanship_Guidelines_-__Team_and_Individual_Limits.pdf
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on August 19, 2019, 09:08:53 AM

I'm planning to make some calls and hopefully write something in the future, hopefan, but it's public info - you can find it on the conference website.  No need for secrecy:

https://www.sliac.org/information/Manual/Sportsmanship_Guidelines_-__Team_and_Individual_Limits.pdf

Ouch... not sure many would have found it without that proclamation....

So readers...especially GU1999... when you see it, what do you think... it clearly could be labelled the Greenville rule.... GC led the nation in T's last year.. but let's not forget that Eureka was 3rd.... BOTH would have been ineligible for the conference tourney, and would have lost numerous All-Conference spots, if this had been in play last season.   

For those who don't want to dive into the SLIAC site... a limit of 14 technical fouls in all games has been established... go over that, the team is ineligible for post season (conference tourney/NCAA tourney play) and ineligible for any player/coach to earn All Conference recognition.

WOW!!!!!   Can you imagine sitting on the technical foul borderline with a game or two left and having that possibility facing the team???!!!!

2 interesting sidelights

One Coach lobbied long and hard against this, even contacting every school to consider voting against it, because his school's style of play (and therefore his style of coaching) lent itself to more Technical fouls...

Coaches did not have a vote in this... voters were high level school administrators

So this will obviously necessarily lead to positive change in certain recent UNCALLED FOR trends in player and bench decorum.. (I would think)

I wonder if this will change how officials view certain decorum/infractions... I hope not.....

WUPHF

It is interesting and maybe a bit more interesting in light of the changes in the MIAC.

It would be interesting to know: would other schools who play a particularly aggressive style been eligible for the postseason tournament?  Whitman for example?

hopefan

WUPIFFFF   Not sure about schools outside the SLIAC...

I was told that last year, Greenville led the nation with 25, Eureka was 3rd with 16.... I don't know who was 2nd, or if anyone came in behind Eureka but with 15 that would have been over the limit....

Of course you realize that this is a SLIAC rule only, so it doesn't really matter...

I was also told that soccer had some problems last year, but this is a basketball page...

Doubtful that anyone not sitting on the inside of the conference meetings saw this coming, but certainly fans of the SLIAC saw that there was a problem...
kudos to administrators for dropping the hammer and addressing it....

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WUPHF on August 19, 2019, 10:20:43 AM
It is interesting and maybe a bit more interesting in light of the changes in the MIAC.

It would be interesting to know: would other schools who play a particularly aggressive style been eligible for the postseason tournament?  Whitman for example?

It's a conference rule in the SLIAC, so it's only SLIAC conference tourney play that's on the line.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere