WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmitzel

Getting the rare late November recruit news, but Guerin Catholic (Indiana) guard Sydney Geis has committed to North Central.

Doing a little bit of research and watching a five minute highlight video, seems like she's got a pretty good inside-outside game, averaging just under 12 points a game so far this year according to MaxPreps.

On the court, NCC is back in action after a week off against Benedictine tonight.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 28, 2017, 03:01:05 PM
NCC (a team which I suspect will improve once the Cards adjust to the wrenching change of de-Systematizing themselves)

That's what I'm hoping. Through three games, they've been able to stay in it and have lost those games by an average of six points, though a lot of that is falling way out of it and shooting themselves back into it late, and if they could shoot better than 52.4 percent from the free throw line they'd have at least one win. But they definitely look like they're adjusting a little bit, and hopefully they'll be good to go tonight.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

GoPerry

Chicago 82
Wheaton 77

Maggie Dansdill,  20 pts, 5 rebs, 2 blks , 3 stls
Kelly Lawson, 14 pts, 4 assts, 8 to
Hannah Frazier, 13 pts 2 blks
Devin Kyler, 12 pts, 7 rebs, 3 assts, 2 blks, 5 stls

Taylor Lake, 22 pts, 7 rebs
Mia Farrell, 21 pts
Olariche Obi, 11 pts, 17 rebs

This was a very disappointing loss at home as Wheaton did everything possible to lose this game.  The Thunder went up by 14 with 3 mins left in the 1st half and were very much in control.  But very sloppy and simply careless play resulted in 6 straight turnovers to end the half.  They still had a 10 pt lead but it left them susceptible to a Chicago team that got hot in the 2nd half.  Chicago closed to within 5 pts after 3 quarters and continued with the hot hand offensively, and higher intensity defensively, to pull away.

The game did expose a weakness.  Namely, that solid floor leadership you got from McDaniels last year is noticeably absent this year.  It's fine when you are winning by double digits but as Chicago crept back into the game, Wheaton couldn't quite find that 'go to' player to control things.  I would've thought it'd be Kelly Lawson but through 4 games she's been just ok in 2 and really awful in the other 2. Injured maybe?  Doesn't look like it.  Perhaps it will be Maggie Dansdill who is a very impressive player and does a lot of things well.  Jordan Myroth, for a point guard, is still a little too free and careless with the ball for my taste – lots of turnovers.

I give credit to the Lady Maroons for showing a whole lot of grit, going down early but fighting back against a much larger Wheaton team outrebounding the Thunder by 11.  They turned up the defensive pressure a notch in the 2nd half and really flustered the Thunder.  Wheaton going 10/20 from the free throw line wasn't helpful.

At least a good wakeup before league play begins.  Thunder have yet to play a road game.

lmitzel

NCC dropped its fourth in a row 75-61 to Benedictine at home. It was a fairly competitive game for stretches, but the Eagles pulled away in the fourth. The effort was definitely there and they played all right, but the Eagles hit more clutch shots, rebounded better, and weren't abysmal from the free throw line (NCC was 2-7 last night, falling to 50 percent even for the year).

I still think they'll get there, but they're still trying to figure things out.
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

Benedictine, annual opponent of neighbor North Central, last defeated NC on 12/30/11 by 62-60.
Prior to yesterday, North Central had defeated BU 96-91, 102-98, 108-74, 104-88 and 97-89.
I attended the Chicago/Wheaton game and agree with GoPerry that the U of C's rebounding was a major factor in their win. "Ola" Obi's 17 rebs followed her 18 rebs vs Carthage on Sunday. She's strong and must have a refined technique for positioning (don't ask me to describe how she does it -- I'm one of those fans who watches the ball nearly all the time).

RogK

Wisconsin Lutheran 73, Elmhurst 63. Elmhurst was up 35-25 at the half, but got sunk by a 27-9 3rd Q for Wisc Lutheran.
Jasmin Bailey led the 'jays with 15 pts (from 8 FG att).
Carthage improved to 4-1 by defeating UW Stevens Point 67-49. Sammie Woodward led the Lady Reds with 18 pts on 12 FG att. Autumn Kalis added 15 pts and 5 assists. Madie Kaelber did not play -- I think she hit the floor pretty hard late in Sunday's game. Hope she can return to action soon.
Carthage's Bailey Gilbert is shooting extraordinarily well this season, with a .795 eFG%. She has scored 62 pts from 39 FG att. Another way to look at the .795 eFG% is that she's averaging 7.95 pts from every 5 FG att she shoots.
By the way, recent NC assistant coach Doug Porter is now an assistant to Kent Madsen at Wheaton (Porter's alma mater). He's not shown on the web site yet, but was listed on the paper roster last night and was on the bench.

RogK

In tonight's only CCIW action, Augie lost 82-65 to UW Whitewater. Whitewater dominated the rebounding 48-30. Augie made 29 FTs but did not shoot real well from the field : 18/44 2FG (.409) and 0/12 3FG.
Justice Edell had 6 steals and 10 pts; Sadie Roberts had 14 pts and 8 rebs, while Izzy Anderson added 16 pts.

iwu70

IWU goes to 4-2 on the season, opening their CCIW play with a 77-68 win at The Shirk over Carthage.

Merritt 16 and 9
McGraw 12
Shanks 11
Ehresman 11

The press taking its toll on the Redpeople. 

Carthage led by Morgan Harris 18 and 11

Lots of things to improve on in this one . . . but an opening home win for the CCIW race is always welcome.  CC fought hard, just didn't have enough tonight. 

IWU'70

iwu70

Warm holiday greetings to all the CCIW chatster, from warm sunny LaLaland.  I'm off to the Far Side soon, back to HK and CUHK teaching, after visiting my son in LA.

Look forward to following the rest of the season.

'70

Gregory Sager

North Park 78
North Central 59

Clarissa Ramos: 18 pts (9-9 FG)
Alicia Arnold: 10 pts
Shaylee Sloan: 13 rebs
Gabby Sandoval: 6:2 a:to

Mayson Whipple: 19 pts
Maya Walls: 6 rebs

NPU led wire to wire in this one, pulling away in the third quarter and building up a lead of 28 late in the game before Amanda Crockett took out her rotation players. The Vikings were efficient offensively, solid defensively, and really attacked the boards well, dominating the glass to the tune of 49-32. Clarissa Ramos had a remarkable game, burying all nine of her shots -- six of them midrange jumpers, three of them layups. This is the kind of game I thought she was capable of giving NPU when she transferred in last season, and it's great to see her finally hitting her stride and showing that kind of confidence in her offensive game. Shaylee Sloan continues to dominate the glass, and, although Gabby Sandoval still hasn't found her shot, her shot selection has improved, so it's really just a matter of time for her before she breaks out offensively. Meanwhile, her defense is much better than it was a year ago, and her floor game is faultless. It was also good to see freshman Sophia Lehocky have her first solid contest, as she knocked down all three of her trey attempts.

Knee brace or not, Mayson Whipple appears to be a force once again with the ball in her hands. Unfortunately for her, she doesn't appear to have a lot of help on this Cardinals team, although I do think that frosh guards Haydn Braun and Rebekah Foley are going to develop into nice players down the road. I'm a little puzzled as to why Michaela Reedy, the only other senior on the Cardinals, isn't playing more. She's a three-year rotation player who has a great stroke from the outside, but she only played seven minutes last night, and I noticed that she's only averaging nine mpg.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Noteworthy that Madie Kaelber (20.8 pts/g) did not play at IWU -- injury may be significant. Incidentally, IWU outscored Carthage 30 to 9 at the foul line.
Elmhurst topped Carroll 66-49, thanks to Kaela Jones who had 22 pts (4/5 3FG, 5/8 2FG) and 13 rebs. Mikaela Eppard contributed 16 pts, 9 rebs.
I had my first look at Millikin, as they fell at Wheaton, 63-46.
Millikin was awful, shooting 10 for 45 on 2FGs and committing 24 turnovers. Wheaton should've won by at least 40, but their offense sputtered a lot, too.
Hannah Frazier contributed 4 blocks and 3 steals to Wheaton's effective defensive effort.

RogK

IWU's Wednesday game vs Wheaton will be the Titans' third contest in five days (playing at 3-3 Eureka on Monday). Fatigue may not turn out to be an issue for IWU, but Wheaton is a tough opponent. Should be a good matchup, with possible late-season implications.
Carthage at North Central : Carthage will be eager to return to winning ways and NC will be eager to earn its first.
Millikin at North Park : the hosts look to continue their good start, while the Big Blue seek to recover from / erase memory of / their bleak performance at Wheaton.
Augustana at Elmhurst (I'll probably attend this one) : Augie coming off its only loss (Whitewater) and wishing to begin CCIW play in a positive manner vs the Bluejays who are a pretty good squad despite being 3-3, hoping to be 2-0 in conference play.
Carroll will go for season win #2 vs UW-Platteville.
Still very early in the season, but already many consequential games.
Did I leave out any cliches?

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 03, 2017, 09:30:46 AM
Knee brace or not, Mayson Whipple appears to be a force once again with the ball in her hands. Unfortunately for her, she doesn't appear to have a lot of help on this Cardinals team, although I do think that frosh guards Haydn Braun and Rebekah Foley are going to develop into nice players down the road. I'm a little puzzled as to why Michaela Reedy, the only other senior on the Cardinals, isn't playing more. She's a three-year rotation player who has a great stroke from the outside, but she only played seven minutes last night, and I noticed that she's only averaging nine mpg.

Mayson's definitely been looking more like herself lately, and Haydn's been pretty good on the year so far too; she's probably Mayson's heir apparent.

Wish I had an answer re: Michaela Reedy. I don't think she's been terrible this year, though she has a tendency to pick up some cheap fouls, and maybe that plays a role. Andrea Dickerson has slotted in in her spot some this year and she's been really good in the few games I've seen so far. Maybe a combination of the two factors? Could be something else I'm not totally aware of either. I don't know.
#THREEEEEEEEE

GoPerry

Solid all around effort by Wheaton in getting the win vs Millikin.  One area of concern is the 3rd consecutive game getting outrebounded which is surprising given Wheaton's general height advantage.  A slight increase in intensity on the glass might be welcome. The Thunder will now be very challenged in playing their first road game of the season at IWU Wednesday.  I doubt Kent Madsen wished to open with 5 straight home games but somehow that's how the schedule fell.  This begins a pretty rough stretch of 7 straight games away from King Arena including ranked opponents Scranton and possibly Hope as well as an unusual NAIA opponent in Rochester College.  We will certainly see what this team is made of. 

Quote from: RogK on December 03, 2017, 11:05:34 PM
IWU's Wednesday game vs Wheaton will be the Titans' third contest in five days (playing at 3-3 Eureka on Monday). Fatigue may not turn out to be an issue for IWU, but Wheaton is a tough opponent. Should be a good matchup, with possible late-season implications.

Stealing one at the Shirk on Wednesday would be a great start.  Wheaton is certainly talented enough but would still be a pretty big ask.  Perhaps there's a little more pressure on the Titans to hold serve on home court?

iwu70

IWU playing at Eureka College Monday evening.  Eureka averaging over 100 per game, with some serious scorers.  Should be an interesting match up.  Yes, TITANS host WC in a very important CCIW game on Wednesday @ The Shirk.  Have to hold home court.

Good start so far . . . good win over CC.  The Redpeople a very good team, never quit at all, giving the TITANS a good run for their home-court money.

Getting into the meat of the schedule very quickly.

IWU'70

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on December 04, 2017, 02:22:35 PM
Good start so far . . . good win over CC.  The Redpeople a very good team, never quit at all, giving the TITANS a good run for their home-court money.

There's no need to use an inclusive-language modification of "Red Men", Mark. Carthage's women's sports teams are called the Lady Reds.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell