WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

Since the Titans are the first conference team to play 8 games, I'll take an admittedly early / smallish sample look at their rebounding stats.
Excluding three players who've played 10 min or less, here are rebs per 100 minutes so far :
McGraw and Walsberg 9, Munroe 10, Anderson 11, Sosa 14, Ehresman 15, Schneider 17, Shanks 18, Hughes 22, Merritt 23, Brovelli 47.
Brovelli has 15 in 32 minutes, but also 9 fouls.
Hughes is also shooting 61 pct FG (no threes) and 80 pct FT, so she's off to a good start to her college career.
Players at the lower end probably don't spend a lot of time near the basket.
IWU doesn't have anyone near the top for CCIW per-game rebounds, but they have a lot of players who are getting a decent amount. As a team, they're being outrebounded by 3.4 per game, but more than make up for that via a plus 8.5 turnover margin.

iwu70

Are you kidding me, gentlemen, fine or otherwise, I bleed green!  :)

Thanks for the Titan assessment, RogK.  I think the TITANS are going to be very good this year, esp. as the freshmen are making their mark early, going to be around a long long time.  We know how good the big three are -- Ehresman, McGraw and Merritt, -- though frankly I'd like to see more rebounding, blocked shots and scoring from McGraw, perhaps more consistency too.  Titans' style of pressure D doesn't rely on rebounding as much as some more half-court teams, as the Titans get so many points off TOs, off the press, steals and their always big TO margin advantage.  A good FT shooting team.  Some of the others you mentioned are really impressive early on -- and Shanks and Schneider are playing well too.  Anderson experienced off the bench.   Of the freshmen, Hughes, Sosa and Brovelli have all-CCIW potential, IMHO.  IWU has more trey shooting skill than we originally thought.  (OK, you can say I'm a shill for my Greenies, but just watch and you'll see these three develop over the next 1-2 years).  Mia Smith needs a bigger recruiting class incoming, as the Titan roster only has 13 on it right now, so depth could be an issue in coming seasons, when the current seniors and juniors depart.  Of course, Ehresman and McGraw will be huge losses come graduation time in May.  Now is the time, this is the team, this is the year to go far. 

IWU'70

Gregory Sager

Wow. The Vikings must've lost their mojo somewhere on the Kennedy or the Dan Ryan today, as NPU was embarrassed by Chicago in the Ratner Center, 78-36. Chicago's length really bothered the younger and smaller Vikings guards, who had a tendency to fling the ball up willy-nilly at the backboard on their drives over outstretched Maroons arms, coming up too strong or too weak but consistently imprecise almost every time. NPU shot only 25% from the field for the game, and most of those misses were within ten feet of the basket. At the other end, the Maroons spread the floor and tossed skip passes over the top with impunity, giving them plenty of open trey looks or easy driving lanes -- and, unlike the Vikings, they consistently made their layups.

But the worst part was that Chicago just plain outhustled the Vikings all day, jumping passing lanes for repeated steals (25 turnovers by NPU today, a whopping 18 of them steals by the Maroons) and getting to every loose ball or long rebound. The Vikings looked like they were wearing ankle weights today, not a good thing when quickness is your team's specialty. NPU found itself down by 22 at the half, didn't score for the first four minutes of the third quarter, and the game just got completely out of hand. Even their free-throw shooting was awful (5-14, 36%).

No Vikings managed to score in double figures, although Brie Lippert did haul in nine rebounds and Clarissa Ramos grabbed six.

The knee-jerk reaction to this for the Vikings might be to just put the game in their back pocket and move on. That's tempting, because, let's face it, good teams have uncharacteristically bad days sometimes, and on occasion a game can completely get out of hand like that. But this game is worth focusing upon, because I think that Chicago provided a template as to how CCIW teams are going to approach the Vikings. This is still a Vikings team that is capable of having a really successful season, but they've certainly got some things to work on.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Saw the NP/Chicago game and concur with what Greg wrote. I also concur with the summary on Chicago's web site -- "With fouls being called at a minimum, UChicago's physical brand of defense wore down North Park." This was particularly evident in the first half.
Congrats to Elmhurst on their victory over Wheaton this afternoon, 71-68. Kelly Weyhrich made 4/4 last minute FTs and Jasmin Bailey had a key steal late to help the 'jays' cause. Bailey was again hot from three-land, hitting 6 of 8 on her way to a game-high 20 pts. Mikaela Eppard had 22 rebounds. For Wheaton, Devin Kyler had 11 pts, 11 rebs and Maggie Dansdill tallied 14 pts and 5 steals.

iwu70

The Shill Report:

Well, that was thorough.  IWU over NCC 94 - 47.  It was close in the first Q, but the Titans brought down the hammer in the second, racing out to a 27-9 quarter.  It was never in doubt after that.

Merritt 16 and 5
Schneider having one of her best games, 16 and 5
McGraw 13, running the floor
Hughes 10 and 5
Shanks 7 and 5
Ehresman 4 3 steals, 2 assists 1 TO

Titans shooting 55%, with 56 points in the paint.  Titans winning the rebound count 54-30

For NCC:  No one in double figures, 20 TOs

Brennen 7
Desenberg 7
Whipple was the leading scoring starter with 3 points

The most interesting thing to me was watching the various pine-sitters, freshmen, having a full quarter of play given the blow-out.  The IWU freshmen continue to impress -- Hughes and Sosa, but WOW, look out for Sam Munroe, such foot speed, movement with the ball.  She's also going to be a good one, when her time comes.  A future Titan team -- Hughes, Brovelli, Sosa, Munroe and Shanks.

Titans go to 7-2, 3-0.

Here ends the Shill report.

IWU70

GoPerry

Wheaton 68
Elmhurst 71

Maggie Dansdill   14 pts, 3 rebs, 5 stls
Devin Kyler,           11 pts, 11 rebs,
Hannah Frazier,    11 pts, 5 rebs, 4 blks, 2 stls
Jordan Myroth     10 pts, 3 rebs, 3 asst

Jasmin Bailey      20 pts, 6/8 3pt
Hannah Henderson, 11 pts,  8 assts
Mikaela Eppard     10 pts, 22 rebs

I give a whole lot of credit to an Elmhurst team that was outsized at every position.  They actually attacked the middle with dribble drives pretty frequently which at times led to their shots getting blocked or missed shots trying to shoot over taller players.  Even so they didn't settle for outside shots as some teams would but continued to play with a lot of tenacity, determination, and good old fashioned ball movement.  They outrebounded Wheaton by 10 which can be attributable to Mikaela Eppard and overall the 'Jays played great.

For Wheaton, I thought Jordan Myroth had a really good game.  At 5'11" she's has size on just about anyone guarding her and she asserted herself with some good post ups today.  It would be good to see more of that because Maggie Dansdill needs some offensive help from the guard play.  And until Kelly Lawson eventually breaks out of her offensive struggles, it would be good to see Myroth step a little more.

Jasmin Bailey made all six of her 3pt field goals in the 3rd quarter.  Coming into this game she was shooting 43% from 3pt range, one of the tops in the league.  So it was astounding to me that the Thunder continued to leave her alone for these clean uncontested looks.  How can the coaching staff allowed her to be left alone?

Coaching error: I don't know why Coach Madsen had a freshman, who had only played 15 minutes all season, in the game instead of Jordan Myroth when Wheaton had the ball with a 1 pt lead and 40 secs left.  Obviously this is magnified because she ended up turning the ball over to Elmhurst, and then doubled the error by committing a foul which put the Jay's at the line to take the lead with the clock stopped.  Myroth(no foul trouble) was playing with confidence and in my opinion should not have been on the bench during that crucial possession.   I hesitate to say it cost them the game because I could point to a lot of things that could've been better. But at that critical point in the contest, with your team having fought back to finally get the lead and needing a good possession, having a scarcely played freshman in there was a bad and costly coaching oversight.

RogK

The W part of CCIW did well today.
Carroll won 69-65 at Millikin, thanks to a 23-9 4th Q.
Rachel Van Sluys had 15 pts, 8 rebs and 3 steals for the Pios, while Sara Hartl had 11 pts, 4 stls; Delaney Sjong helped with 10 pts, 9 rebs. Millikin got 21 pts from Devin Curry and 14 by Yanni Saddler.
Carthage topped Augustana 74-67. Madie Kaelber did kinda good in her return from injury : 11/17 FG including 4 threes and 6/8 FTs for 32 pts. Rachel Szydlowski added 13 pts, 13 rebs.
Augie made 24/31 FTs, but otherwise shot crummily : 14/46 2FGs, 5/22 3FGs.
The conference-only standings are exactly as everyone expected and will stay like this for the rest of 2017 :
3-0 IWU
2-0 NPU
2-1 ELM
1-1 AUG, CRL
1-2 CTG, NCC, WHE
0-3 MIL

lmitzel

Quote from: iwu70 on December 09, 2017, 07:46:59 PM
The Shill Report:

Well, that was thorough.  IWU over NCC 94 - 47.  It was close in the first Q, but the Titans brought down the hammer in the second, racing out to a 27-9 quarter.  It was never in doubt after that.

Merritt 16 and 5
Schneider having one of her best games, 16 and 5
McGraw 13, running the floor
Hughes 10 and 5
Shanks 7 and 5
Ehresman 4 3 steals, 2 assists 1 TO

Titans shooting 55%, with 56 points in the paint.  Titans winning the rebound count 54-30

For NCC:  No one in double figures, 20 TOs

Brennen 7
Desenberg 7
Whipple was the leading scoring starter with 3 points

The most interesting thing to me was watching the various pine-sitters, freshmen, having a full quarter of play given the blow-out.  The IWU freshmen continue to impress -- Hughes and Sosa, but WOW, look out for Sam Munroe, such foot speed, movement with the ball.  She's also going to be a good one, when her time comes.  A future Titan team -- Hughes, Brovelli, Sosa, Munroe and Shanks.

Titans go to 7-2, 3-0.

Here ends the Shill report.

IWU70

Well, you don't have to be a green Shill to know that that game was a massacre. After a few years of this rivalry really being close, it was back to the early part of the decade. Wesleyan was clearly the better team, and all I can do is tip my cap.

Quote from: RogK on December 09, 2017, 09:58:53 PM
The conference-only standings are exactly as everyone expected and will stay like this for the rest of 2017 :
3-0 IWU
2-0 NPU
2-1 ELM
1-1 AUG, CRL
1-2 CTG, NCC, WHE
0-3 MIL

I, for one, am okay with this as long as it means Wheaton gets dethroned and NCC can maybe finally steal a win in the all time series.  :P
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

Washington U St Louis upended Millikin today 81-64. Each team made 21 2FGs. FTs were 13-12. The difference was 9 made 3FGs by Wash U vs 3 made by MU.
Millikin freshman Jordan Hildebrand raised her season FG% to .630 by hitting 8 of 8. She led Millikin with 18 pts, while Lauren Moses had 8 rebs, 8 pts.

Mr. Ypsi

IWU went 3-0 this past week, and probably belongs back in the top 25.  The problem is that only ONE top 25 team lost any games this week, and Elmhurst ALSO beating Wheaton took some of the luster off that win. I predict that they will finish at the VERY top of ORVs this week, but maybe ...

The same is pretty much true of the Titan men, though they were buried much deeper in the ORV category.  I'd put them probably about 23 or 24, but suspect they will only rise to the equivalent of perhaps 28 or 29.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on December 10, 2017, 07:56:11 PM
Washington U St Louis upended Millikin today 81-64. Each team made 21 2FGs. FTs were 13-12. The difference was 9 made 3FGs by Wash U vs 3 made by MU.
Millikin freshman Jordan Hildebrand raised her season FG% to .630 by hitting 8 of 8. She led Millikin with 18 pts, while Lauren Moses had 8 rebs, 8 pts.

Hildebrand impressed me. I think that she is going to be a very good CCIW player.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Ypsi, I'm with you on the Titan women being in the top 25.  They have also improved rapidly in recent games, playing at a very high level with a strong group of freshmen, not playing at all like freshmen.  The program is in great shape with a very positive future.  Perhaps a bigger recruiting class for more depth would be helpful for next season and beyond.  Only 13 on the roster just now, but 10 deep playing a big part in this success to date.

IWU'70

RogK

Congrats to Jasmin Bailey, new CCIW Player of the Week!

GoPerry

Quote from: RogK on December 11, 2017, 05:03:03 PM
Congrats to Jasmin Bailey, new CCIW Player of the Week!

Well deserved.  She was awesome on Saturday.

iwu70

Ypsi, you were right about the TITANS rising to 26th in the new poll.  Unless some top 25 teams lose, though, it's going to be hard for the TITANS to rise further as we don't have top 25 teams on our schedule now to play.  We lost the chance losing by 2 to Whitewater and my 7? to Wash U.  Time will tell.  Just keep winning, posting up a good resume for March and the D3 dance.  I'd love to see the TITANS run the table in the CCIW this year.  They are playing very well just now . . . I think much better than in the earlier part of the season.

All best for happy holidays to all fellow TITANS, CCIW basketball fans, and board chatsters.

IWU'70