BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dballa

HPU is up 8-2 on TLU in the 3rd (I think) of the 2nd game.

The TLU radio guy isn't exactly the greatest so it's hard to follow him except when he's yelling at the ump on the air.

Blackcat00

Wow TLU is in a tailspin, not living up to the preseason favorites.

dballa

The game was close before TLU's starting pitcher went out with an injury after a play at the plate when an HPU player slid into him.  After that TLU went downhill.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: dballa on March 21, 2008, 04:33:50 PM
HPU is up 8-2 on TLU in the 3rd (I think) of the 2nd game.

The TLU radio guy isn't exactly the greatest so it's hard to follow him except when he's yelling at the ump on the air.

I have been listening to the Ozarks/Tyler game, and the Trinity/Southwestern game, but after your comment I couldn't resist tuning in for a bit.

You're right. I realize it's division III baseball, but there has to be some level of impartiality.  He's been yelling at the umpires all game. In addition to that he's critiquing the TLU team on air. He's claiming that every hitter is taking over-anxious swings, and has told nearly every hitter in the TLU lineup to "Come On" at least once.

It's one thing noting that a hitter reached at pitch or that a hitter has a tendency to chase bad pitches or strike out alot, but I find it hard to believe that everyone that flies out on a 2-0 pitch has a bad approach at the plate. I guess that goes back to being impartial.

When I listen to a game I want to know a.) what's going on in terms of the play by play and b.) other things about the players and teams that I might find interesting that would add to the game. What's a guy hitting with runners in scoring position if he comes up with runners on? How has the new pitcher thrown this year? In his last few outings? Make me feel like I'm there watching it.

In the announcer's defense, it's very tough with a one man crew to stay on top of everything, but I can expect an impartial approach.

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

With two outs and a 3-1 lead Booher gave up a single and a walk.  He was lifted for Colby Munchrath who walked pinch-hitter Cameron, and then gave up a 2 RBI double to Broussard. Munchrath was then lifted for Lex Wolfe who promptly hit the next two hitters to give Ozarks a 4-3 lead before Josh Long came in to record the final out of the 7th.

Tyler still has a great weekend rotation, but they are certainly missing their DEEP bullpen that featured Nate Jennings, Greg Johnson, Patrick McClure, Michael Stutts and Blake Burnett.

UPDATE: Clay Baker hit a 2 -run HR to put Tyler back up 1.
UPDATE: Robby Finnell answers with a 2-run HR of his own to put Ozarks up 1 in the top of the 8th off of Beau Ziegler.
UPDATE: Brad Broussard makes back to back errors at 3B. Farra then hit an RBI 2B and then Braden came around to score to a passed ball.

Didn't show the last out on the play-by-play, but UT Tyler hangs on to win 7-6 to take the series 2-1. Possibly the best series you'll see in the ASC this year. After watching both of these staffs, I think they're definitely the best two teams in the ASC.

UPDATE: Texas Lutheran has scored a few runs in the bottom of the 8th. Lots of yelling so I don't know what's going on, but I think it's 17-12 Bulldogs favor. Sounded like they got fired up after head coach Greg Burnett got tossed.
UPDATE: I believe TLU ended up scoring 12 runs in the 8th to take a 24-12 lead.

TLU: 24-22-4
HPU: 12-15-3

TLU wins the series 2-1.

JSG

dballa

I had to leave work and didn't get to listen past the 6th inning.  HPU isn't deep at all in pitching so with playing 9 innings in the 3rd game it really wears them down.

And I told you about the radio guy :)  it's ok to root for your team but there's a line somewhere that he crossed when yelling out certain things.

Just_Some_Guy

Concordia defeated Sul Ross 8-5 to take that rubber game, and Schreiner swepth the DH from Hardin Simmons today with a 4-1 CG one-hitter from starter Kevin Jones.
UMHB defeated McMurry 11-6. No details yet.

Here are the updated West Standings thus far:

Mary Hardin-Baylor   7-2
Concordia   6-3
McMurry   5-4
Howard Payne   5-4
Schreiner   5-4
Texas Lutheran   4-5
Hardin-Simmons   3-6
Sul Ross State   1-8

Pretty muddled race right now.

Here's the updated East Standings:

Texas-Tyler 5-1
La. College 5-1
Miss. College 7-2
Ozarks 6-3
East Texas Baptist 1-6
Texas-Dallas 1-8
LeTourneau 0-4

Looks like the four playoff spots in the East might already be locked up. I can't believe that UT Dallas has struggled to this extent. I know they lost ALOT, and that their early season schedule was relatively soft but they did sweep a fairly competitive HPU team, beat Southwestern a couple of times, and defeated Marietta.

Their pitching has been a little better than I anticipated, but offensively I guess their numbers at the beginning of the year were inflated due to their soft-schedule. They did lose a phenomenal offensive team last year.

JSG

Sader22

Ok your right I did take it a little far with the monkey comment and I apologize, I guess I was just kind of tired of some people and remember I do say some people not giving credit where credit is due.  Ohh yes and I was there at the times when CTX did woop us every single year and it looks like those days are behind us.  So apologize for any wrong things I might have said just trying to represent my alma mater. 

Champion is a good friend of mine to and I was just joking as well, this is all for fun and games not trying to permanently piss anybody off.  What I should of said about Villegas is he is from what I have seen out of him in person he is better than anybody in D3 I have seen or played against at this point so that is the way I should have said those things. 

And again I apologize for the monkey comment should not have said that.

I agree that the Krogs and people like that in this conference did make a name for this conference but come on that was a while back im sure anybody in this message board could have done the same if we all got to play 9 seasons in the same conference. 

My prediction was right the CRU 2 of 3 from McMurry

Sader22

Ohh yes one more thing is anybody as excited as I am that TLU is not living up to there beloved name in the ASC, I know im not the only one that was tired of hearing about TLU year in and year out.  Its about time they start talking about other teams in the conference. 

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Sader22 on March 22, 2008, 03:52:02 AM
Ohh yes one more thing is anybody as excited as I am that TLU is not living up to there beloved name in the ASC, I know im not the only one that was tired of hearing about TLU year in and year out.  Its about time they start talking about other teams in the conference. 

I am glad that there seems to be a bit of parity in the West this year and that it should make for a really interesting race for playoff spots (and positioning) down the stretch.

Other teams have emerged and grown their programs, and in doing so seem to have shifted the balance of power just a bit. By all accounts TLU and UT Dallas are also having down years and that has contributed to that fact.

As far as talking about other teams in the conference, well that comes with winning. That's what Ozarks and UMHB are doing this year that they haven't necessarily done in the past. It becomes easy to hear about TLU because they became the safest pick because they've won the West regular season every year since 2001 with the exception of the 2004 year.

UMHB caused a little buzz last year when they broke the mold of TLU, MCM,CUA and HSU being the top four teams in the conference every year since 2003. It got easy to say well we'll see those 4 teams and Mississippi College and Dallas in the postseason. Last year you saw the power beginning to switch just a bit, and now it seems as though there might be even more parity.

It should continue to be a fun season to watch from a fans perspective.

JSG

baseballfan24

Quote from: Sader22 on March 22, 2008, 01:16:32 AM
Ok your right I did take it a little far with the monkey comment and I apologize, I guess I was just kind of tired of some people and remember I do say some people not giving credit where credit is due.  Ohh yes and I was there at the times when CTX did woop us every single year and it looks like those days are behind us.  So apologize for any wrong things I might have said just trying to represent my alma mater. 

Champion is a good friend of mine to and I was just joking as well, this is all for fun and games not trying to permanently piss anybody off.  What I should of said about Villegas is he is from what I have seen out of him in person he is better than anybody in D3 I have seen or played against at this point so that is the way I should have said those things. 

I agree that the Krogs and people like that in this conference did make a name for this conference but come on that was a while back im sure anybody in this message board could have done the same if we all got to play 9 seasons in the same conference. 

I agree that Villegas is good player, and when his time is up he will have put up some big numbers.  That being said, I don't know that it is fair to say he is the best to play in D3.  Does nobody here remeber a player by the name of Aaron Crais?  That guy dominated pitching in the ASC for four years.  I also think that your eyesight is a little narrow.  There are some pretty good players on the west coast. 

I am not saying this to be rude, I know that you said he is the best player you have seen, but who have you seen?  Josh Lee, a former McMurry pitcher/hitter was also a very good player.  As was Carrizales and Erickson for McMurry, Simpson for Hardin-Simmons, Kaase for TLU, Amyx at Tyler, White and Berkman at Concordia, and almost every hitter in the UTD lineup the last 2 season (Rosen, Elizondo, Bird, Elliot to name a few).  There have been many good players to come through the ASC so I have a hard time saying the Villegas is the best in D3 (AND I HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY).  But you are right, he is VERY GOOD.  It is definitely a fair statement to say he is one of the best hitters in the ASC right now.  There is no arguement for that.   It will be fun to see his final numbers at the end of his career to see how they compare to some of the hitters in the past that have good numbers.

strosfan1

I happen to know the radio announcer for TLU.  Number 1, he is a 22 year old college student who is learning the business.  I told him about all this and this just tells you the man that he is, "they are entitled to their opinion.  I thank them for listening and if I want to be in this business I am going to have to learn how to take criticism from listeners."  He went on to say, "Ken the Hawk Harrelson for the Chicago White Sox said, if you have half the people that hate you and half the people that love you.  You're doing your job."  Now for you guys, maybe he is a little partial to TLU, last time I checked he does not broadcast to you.  Get a life, find a hobby, and stop livig your life by D3 baseball.  It takes a man to get behind the mic and he is not Vin Scully, Milo Hamilton, or Joe Buck.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: strosfan1 on March 22, 2008, 03:25:17 PM
... I am going to have to learn how to take criticism from listeners."  He went on to say, "Ken the Hawk Harrelson for the Chicago White Sox said, if you have half the people that hate you and half the people that love you.  You're doing your job."  ...
Somewhere in his career, his station owner will tell him that one listener likes him and the other listener doesn't.

Then the station owner will tell him that the problem is that the advertisers would like another 5,000 listeners for that game.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: strosfan1 on March 22, 2008, 03:25:17 PM
I happen to know the radio announcer for TLU.  Number 1, he is a 22 year old college student who is learning the business.  I told him about all this and this just tells you the man that he is, "they are entitled to their opinion.  I thank them for listening and if I want to be in this business I am going to have to learn how to take criticism from listeners."  He went on to say, "Ken the Hawk Harrelson for the Chicago White Sox said, if you have half the people that hate you and half the people that love you.  You're doing your job."  Now for you guys, maybe he is a little partial to TLU, last time I checked he does not broadcast to you.  Get a life, find a hobby, and stop livig your life by D3 baseball.  It takes a man to get behind the mic and he is not Vin Scully, Milo Hamilton, or Joe Buck.

Couple of things here.

1.) I whole-heartily agree with your number one. The fact that it's a student learning the business entitles him to some slack. I think it is cool that they allow the students to get involved and have the opportunity to get valuable on air experience.

2.) How many on-air personalities get mentioned on forums? Probably not a whole lot, he should consider himself lucky. I've seen the Marietta guys mentioned before - and rightfully so, those guys are good. I've enjoyed the Trinity guys in the past well.

3.) What he should do, provided he even ever reads this board, is to read between the lines of the criticism and try to become better on the air. Just because it might've been an abrasive approach (and I don't know that it was) doesn't mean that the critic isn't right about some things when you read in between the lines. He should take what he can from the criticism and ignore the rest.

4.) I don't think anyone expects any D3 radio personality, SIDs, even local radio crews to be anything close to the guys you mentioned, but aspiring to be those guys probably does mean being more impartial on the air. That's just the nature of the job - at least at the next level.

5.) Why attack him just because he attacked the the on-air personality. I understand sticking up for your friends, but there's no need to tell someone to get a life, hobby, etc.  If you follow these boards at all you will see that one of my hobbies is following division 3 baseball, and why not? It's a great sport with great young men competing, most often without the allure of the big bucks and no athletic scholarships, but because they love the game.

And truth be told, he is broadcasting to him. He is broadcasting to anyone who tunes in, and that's something to take heed of. If TLU is still the playoff hunt down the stretch you can bet they'll be plenty of people from other teams tuning in to see how the Bulldogs will effect their own playoff aspirations. He's NEVER just broadcasting to TLU fans, and if that's his mindset it's flawed.

6.) I'll tell you what - I'll just send you a pm.

JSG

Sader22

Quote from: baseballfan24 on March 22, 2008, 01:00:37 PM
Quote from: Sader22 on March 22, 2008, 01:16:32 AM

I agree that Villegas is good player, and when his time is up he will have put up some big numbers.  That being said, I don't know that it is fair to say he is the best to play in D3.  Does nobody here remeber a player by the name of Aaron Crais?  That guy dominated pitching in the ASC for four years.  I also think that your eyesight is a little narrow.  There are some pretty good players on the west coast. 

I am not saying this to be rude, I know that you said he is the best player you have seen, but who have you seen?  Josh Lee, a former McMurry pitcher/hitter was also a very good player.  As was Carrizales and Erickson for McMurry, Simpson for Hardin-Simmons, Kaase for TLU, Amyx at Tyler, White and Berkman at Concordia, and almost every hitter in the UTD lineup the last 2 season (Rosen, Elizondo, Bird, Elliot to name a few).  There have been many good players to come through the ASC so I have a hard time saying the Villegas is the best in D3 (AND I HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY).  But you are right, he is VERY GOOD.  It is definitely a fair statement to say he is one of the best hitters in the ASC right now.  There is no arguement for that.   It will be fun to see his final numbers at the end of his career to see how they compare to some of the hitters in the past that have good numbers.

Ohh no I guess im being not clear enough and should probably clarify what im trying to say, at this point from what little I have seen in Villegas I beileve has the potential to be up there with those guys or even better.  I played against all of those guys and they were all great players, I think they were all good I would have to disagree with Simpson I think he was way overrated. I do however agree with all the rest of the guys you mentioned. 

Josh Lee is probably my pick for the best I have seen in our conference.  Ohh yeah and for Hambone I also hit a Bomb off the great Josh Lee.  Just thought I would throw that in there and I know for a fact Hambone hit way more Bombs than I did. 

Dont get me wrong just stating that I think he has the Potential to be the best the conference has seen.  I as well cant wait to see what his career numbers end up being.