FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

This is the new home of MIAA discussion. Welcome aboard, everyone.

formerd3db

;D Thanks Pat.  This may take awhile to get used to the new format, although I'm sure eventually everyone will get the "hang of it".

Not much to report as yet.  Albion started practice last week as they have a game on Labor Day weekend as you know.  Hope reported today; I'm sure some of our fellow MIAA posters will give us the news on the other teams.  I'll probably have some comments on Hope later next week when I've had a chance to see some prelims at practice.  In the meantime, best to you and all our fellow posters.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Flying Dutch Fan

I read on another discussion board (mlive) that someone was reporting that Olivet had 60 freshman show up for football.  How does that number relate to the other schools?
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

BashDad

formerd3db:

Things are awfully quiet, especially with Albion opening up Labor Day week-end.  What's going on in the MIAA?  The L'il Giants open again against K-College, this year in Crawfordsville.  What do you think their coaching change will do for them?  Always enjoy your insights...good luck to the Hope program in '05. 

formerd3db

BashDad:
Good to hear from you and thanks for the kind comments.  Likewise, I enjoy your take on the various aspects.  Yes, I was thinking the same thing about it being quiet ???, although I'm sure the posting activity will increase soon.

Hope's final annual pre-first game scrimmage is not until next weekend Sept 3rd so I'll be able to tell you better then (they still only do an intrasquad one unlike some of the other schools that do the inter-collegiate scrimmages).  Albion has a ton of people out too (just like Hope); they are expecting big things (so is Adrian).  It will be interesting to see how they do against Butler.  As you know, Butler has not been that good as a IAA non-scholarship team of recent years, although I suspect they may be better this year.  Realistically, if they played like some of the better IAA non-sch teams, they should beat Albion handily.

K-zoo's new coach, from what I have heard (from a prof there), is well-liked and they have an optimistic attitude.  After the down year last season, however, it may be hard for them to turn it around that much.  I suspect that your LG's will not have any problem against the Hornets, especially since it is down at your place.  Nonetheless, it should be a great atmosphere down there for the opening game - always great to have a beautiful sunny Sept game opener.  The other MIAA teams - your guess is as good as mine!  Olivet is a wildcard as the others have noted.

We (Hope) open at John Carroll in Cleveland on Sept. 10.  Good luck to your Wabash and we'll keep in touch on the boards.

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

zoofan

I don't have a good feeling about the new HC at Kzoo.  He seems to be saying all the right things, but I don't know if he has a grasp on what it takes 1. Being a HC and 2. Being in Kalamazoo "system" of academics.  Who knows, but I'm not sure a powerlifter is the answer there.

formerd3db

zoofan:
Obviously, everyone has an initial impression which is natural and, of course, a right to one's opinion.  However, I might suggest, if I may, that it is way too early to make a judgement on what you comment on.  Give the man a chance :)!  This is his first head coaching position and everyone has to start somewhere.  I can't imagine that the K administration would be duped into picking someone who might just say the right things at the interviews, not impossible, but I would be quite surprised.  Anyway, after the first season, I would think that a better assessment could then be made.

msmith0076

I'm reading all of this and see no mention of Alma...aren't they the preseason favorite.  As an Alma grad with a brother that played at Adrian and another brother that plays at Albion I will go ahead and say Scots again.
Albion will drop one to either Olivet or Adrian, as they have consistently been doing in recent years.  K again is not a conteneder.  Olivet will lose a couple that they probably shouldn't.  Adrian will lose to K and Alma down the stretch.  And Hope goes down to Albion.  Nov. 5 will decide the conference and playoffs (Alma v Albion)  WLU and TriState are not to be considereed in legitimate championship selection.
GO SCOTS
GO SCOTS!!!!

wabco

Hornets

Just learned that the K-zoo cancelled its scrimmage with St. Frances.  What gives?

My info on the 2005 Hornets is as follows:  60 on team of which 26 are Frosh .  14 returners are labeled as starters.  3 QBs in competition for start ... lead goes to last year's QB.  Coach claims a running "West Coast Offense" (? what is that?).  Little info beyond that.

The game against the Little Giants is at our house.  Not a good place to visit.  I suspect it will be feeding time at the Zoo.  However, you guys are always good people to visit and play against.  If any of you plan to come down for the game ... Wabash has a "Community Day" that day ... which has as one of the events (in addition to no cost to attend the gamer) a pic nic on the center quad ... which is open to all at no charge.  You should plan to come take advantage of that.  I am sure 'Bash would be pleased to have you all partake ... we do plan to beat you but you are good people and welcome.

BashDad

wabco:

Kzoo seems under the gun. Still, hopefully, Wabash will remember that a "cooped-up" and desperate animal can be dangerous.  K-College will leave it on the field.  We will need to be ready for them under a new coach, particularly with no film to show what they are now.  Creighton will have the L'il Giants ready.

formerd3db

Obviously, anything can happen.  However, I have a slightly different prediction.  Hope always has a difficult time down at Albion, however, it will not be impossible for them to win down there.  They almost did two years ago, except for that missed offensive interference call in the endzone (although Hope did not deserve to win that game after blowing the huge lead).  Secondly, Alma plays @ Hope and it will be difficult for them to win there.  Olivet will be a spoiler and Adrian, while they should be good can be kind of a wildcard at times.  They have to play @ Hope also.

Basically, I think we'll see who is going to be the big powers in the very early part of the season.  I would not be surprised to see the championship go down to the last game of the season like it did last year rather than on Nov 5th as you predict.  We shall see! :)

zoofan

Kalamazoo will finish last again in the MIAA and probably will lose to Kenyon (usually their confidence booster going into the MIAA play).  formerd3db, it is not too early for my assumption...wabash will have their starters out of the game very early.  I will be very surprised if the hornets win a game this year.  Ever since Tim Rogers left, the program is slipping back to the pre-Rogers era...Terrance Brooks is a far cry from the answer.  Brooks' 2-a-days are running the players into the ground...about 1/5 of their team is injured, that's why there is no scrimmage at st. francis.  hopefully they won't have to forfeit any games.

formerd3db

zoofan:
Fair enough.  You are closer to the situation than I.  However, my point simply is that it is unfair to start trashing the new head coach as yet.  He (as any head coach) is entitled to establish the program schedule as he sees fit.  Injuries are obviously a part of the game; sometimes it is just pure unluckiness.  Hope has had a lot of injuries too.  I think Kazoo will win at least one or two games.  The MIAA is a strange conference at times and surprises do happen just when we think they may not.  Kazoo may indeed finish last in the league, but time will tell.  The Kazoo/Wabash game is not debateable - Wabash should win easily.  I will be surprised if they lose to Kenyon.  Let's see what happens.

Ralph Turner

While watching the Auburn-Ga Tech game tonight, it was fun to watch the Albion score crawl across the base of the screen! ;D

Congratulations to Albion for sending all those D1 fans to Google to find out who in the heck is Albion! :D

wlcalum

Was good to see that Albion beat Butler. (bet those that googled Albion are now asking where the heck is Mich ???) Was unfortunate that WLC did not get past Valpo. When will the rest of the MIAA jump on the DI wagon and get their schools names scrolled along the botom of ESPN?

I see Taz Wallace earned D player of the week with a TD return in a blowout.

Not saying he doesn't deserve his award (maybe I am or am biased)  :-\ but at WLC Lepke (LB) had a heck of a game vs Valpo (13 tackes 2 for 8 yards loss)as did Seiler (DL) (6 tackes, forced and recovered a fumble) Lots of work from those two in a close game.