FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

Hell of a running game supported by a good defensive effort. Sounds like RMC has rebounded from week one defeat and starting to peak for the ODAC run. No surprises there.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 13, 2018, 08:56:18 AM
Hell of a running game supported by a good defensive effort. Sounds like RMC has rebounded from week one defeat and starting to peak for the ODAC run. No surprises there.

No. That is going to be a brutal game in Lexington in a couple weeks. RMC has all the advantages except they have to go on the road. With their run defense and a long time to prepare, W&L is going to need to be ready.

tigerFanAlso2

I believe W&L will be ready to defend home turf but I do think it will be one hell of a game .... winner will take a huge step towards an ODAC championship. In recent years, RMC is the only ODAC team able to slow the W&L rushing attach and same holds true for W&L vs. the RMC rushing attach; all the making for a really good, smash mouth ball game.

Jeremybozz

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on September 14, 2018, 12:06:26 AM
Quote from: Jeremybozz on September 13, 2018, 10:29:31 PM
Davidson 91,Guilford 61 Final

Basketball???
I was there.  We were laughing that it was more like a basketball game.

The good:  Quakers put up 9 TDs
The bad:  4 missed/blocked extra points, a blocked punt and a fumble into the endzone
The ugly:  Wildcats scored 91 on more big plays than I think I have ever seen

hasanova

It was very Wildcat-centric, but footage of tonight's Guilford/Davidson game was on Sports Center.   152 total points and 1662 combined yards.

tigerFanAlso2

score/yardage almost seems impossible. did either team actually play 11 guys on the defensive side of the ball ?
Hasa, what were Mr. Bell's stats ?

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: hasanova on September 14, 2018, 01:50:10 AM
It was very Wildcat-centric, but footage of tonight's Guilford/Davidson game was on Sports Center.   152 total points and 1662 combined yards.

Crazy score. GC only had 46 tackles on 62 Davidson plays.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 14, 2018, 08:51:29 AM
score/yardage almost seems impossible. did either team actually play 11 guys on the defensive side of the ball ?
Hasa, what were Mr. Bell's stats ?

Well... let's put this in perspective. Davidson averaged 12.7 yards per run, racking up 685 rushing yards on 54 attempts. They averaged 35 yards passing, going 8 for 8 with no interceptions and 3 touchdowns. 964 yards of offense for Davidson, on 62 plays. That's 15.5 yards PER PLAY. And they only had the ball for 27:21 of the game.

So no, defense was either not played, or not an option. Given the lack of prep time, and the disparity in athletes, I think this was just a mismatched exhibition game. Bell touched the ball 30 times. 27 rushes for 184 yards, and 3 receptions for 14 more. To be fair, on 100 plays, Guilford averaged almost 7 yards per play. So Davidson's defense had mostly the same idea as Guilford... don't bother.

The amazing thing is there were 36 series in the game. 36! With 22 ending in TDs. 5 punts, a safety, and 4 turnovers on downs plus the 2 end of half series and 2 more I'm missing. The longest possession of the game was 3 minutes, 47 seconds. Guilford went 71 yards oi 10 plays. Kind of like an NBA or NHL All-Star game. All offense, no point to the game, and no one wanting to get hurt.

hasanova

There was little defense on either side.  I think Davidson only attempted to run back one kick ... it was clear the Wildcats weren't risking injury.  As jknezek said, Bell had 187 yards rushing on 27 carries, 3 catches for 14 yards and 191 yards on kick returns for 392 all-purpose yards.  I believe he scored four times.  I prefer the Quakers stick with DIII ... games means more to me when we do.

tigerFanAlso2

HSC will go 21 days between games; that cannot bode well for the remainder of the season, I don't think. Like starting all over again and the first game is usually not so pretty.

For all those ODAC teams playing, good luck.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 14, 2018, 01:56:38 PM
HSC will go 21 days between games; that cannot bode well for the remainder of the season, I don't think. Like starting all over again and the first game is usually not so pretty.

Well... at least you will get healthy. But I agree. That is not a good situation. It's one of the reasons I hate the BCS Bowl System. Let's have conference titles 3 weeks before the last important games! Stupid.

CNU85

Quote from: jknezek on September 14, 2018, 02:05:24 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 14, 2018, 01:56:38 PM

Well... at least you will get healthy. But I agree. That is not a good situation. It's one of the reasons I hate the BCS Bowl System. Let's have conference titles 3 weeks before the last important games! Stupid.

Exactly why I don't watch BCS ball. They don't decide the champion based on a true playoff system and on the field. 4 teams does not make a playoff. go through the grind of game preps every week for several weeks and earn it rather than have a computer and some votes put you in the final 4.

CNU85

Quote from: hasanova on September 14, 2018, 11:13:39 AM
There was little defense on either side.  I think Davidson only attempted to run back one kick ... it was clear the Wildcats weren't risking injury.  As jknezek said, Bell had 187 yards rushing on 27 carries, 3 catches for 14 yards and 191 yards on kick returns for 392 all-purpose yards.  I believe he scored four times.  I prefer the Quakers stick with DIII ... games means more to me when we do.

Davidson gave up 74 points in their 2 games against D3 opponents.  And another 28 against a D2 school (formerly DIII).  Wait until they start their FCS schedule. Hope they enjoyed the ride while it lasted.