BB: USAC: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by narch, December 30, 2005, 10:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

The committee couldn't care less about the rankings.

I think CNU is in trouble for a bid. Under .700 region winning percentage and 200+ in-region SOS.

Huntingdon and Salisbury are locks. After that, Millsaps and Birmingham Southern have a better chance, IMO, as does the Bridgewater/Shenandoah Pool C entrant.

Boysofsummer21

I think that CNU will level out and be in good shape if;

Bridgewater wins the ODAC - Two more loses for Shenandoah (played a weak schedule if you look at the OWP) and things are very tight with CNU
Birmingham Southern is already out and has to play tourney
Milsap is on the edge with tourney left also but....
Salisbury is in CAC
Think Huntingdon is Pool B

rolln2

I think CNU (29-12) still has a good chance to get a bid.  Shenandoah is 27-10 and unless they win the ODAC tourney will have at least 12 losses, and did not win their conference regular season title like CNU did.  BSC is already w/ 13 losses and has not played its' conference tourney. BSC could end up w/ 15 losses if they don't win their tourney. Of course Salisbury won the CAC automatic.  Bridgewater I think could be the only opponent to CNU not getting a bid. If they don't win the ODAC they may get the bid over CNU as both teams won their conferences. Huntington I believe will get a pool B and Millsaps won their conference vs BSC which I believe does not get an at-large in the conferences last year either. So that may put them in pool B. I don't think there is any politics involved. If you look at the whole body of work instead of a few games at the end of the year. Then CNU has had a good year w/ a young group of new players.

narch

Quote from: rolln2 on April 22, 2013, 08:38:52 PM
I think CNU (29-12) still has a good chance to get a bid.  Shenandoah is 27-10 and unless they win the ODAC tourney will have at least 12 losses, and did not win their conference regular season title like CNU did.  BSC is already w/ 13 losses and has not played its' conference tourney. BSC could end up w/ 15 losses if they don't win their tourney. Of course Salisbury won the CAC automatic.  Bridgewater I think could be the only opponent to CNU not getting a bid. If they don't win the ODAC they may get the bid over CNU as both teams won their conferences. Huntington I believe will get a pool B and Millsaps won their conference vs BSC which I believe does not get an at-large in the conferences last year either. So that may put them in pool B. I don't think there is any politics involved. If you look at the whole body of work instead of a few games at the end of the year. Then CNU has had a good year w/ a young group of new players.
winning a regular season conference tournament is not a selection criteria...nor is national ranking - cnu has a tough row to hoe..

Spence

Pretty sure the SAA is Pool B this year.

Some people could get a rude awakening with the first set of regional rankings.

LTBB1971

Bad lost for CNU vs Randolph Macon (regional).  Could have gotten to 30 wins but couldn't hold on to the lead with Chrismon struggling all game.  CNU only played 39 regular season games and I believe they are allowed 40.  I am thinking outside the box here, but why not try to squeeze a game vs. maybe #14 Keystone (27-7), #19 Ramapo (22-8-1), Shenandoah (27-10) or even Penn-State Harrisburg (23-11) who still have room in their schedule?  Wouldn't a win vs these opponents help their chances?

Boysofsummer21

CNU actually has a rain out with Salisbury they could reschedule and I do not understand why they haven't unless Salisbury has said no.

Spence

Quote from: Boysofsummer21 on April 23, 2013, 09:24:40 AM
CNU actually has a rain out with Salisbury they could reschedule and I do not understand why they haven't unless Salisbury has said no.

Yeah that's pretty hard to figure. IMO teams should play as many games as allowed...why would you let kids who work so hard play any less? The ridiculous NCAA rules are restrictive enough.

Catfishncwc

We played a total of 51 games at NCWC in 98 & 99.  In 98 we had played 45 going into regionals.  I would have loved to have played more games myself. 
1999 Division 3 National Baseball Champs

narch

i'm sure harvell is working the phones, trying to get in a game for cnu...i can remember many seasons when mu was in a similar situation and added games after the conference tourney - for salisbury, there isn't necessarily upside for them to re-schedule cnu other than it being the right thing to do...why potentially help a team that could beat you get into the regionals?

Spence

Quote from: Catfishncwc on April 23, 2013, 01:26:05 PM
We played a total of 51 games at NCWC in 98 & 99.  In 98 we had played 45 going into regionals.  I would have loved to have played more games myself.

Most people would. The 40 games restriction is ridiculous. Some teams now go to Florida and only play 4-5 games rather than 10-15. It hasn't made any difference as far as number of midweek games that would restrict class time, or anything like that.

I remember around that time when you had the Two-Tournament Rule and Marietta played a 3-day weekend round robin. One year Ferrum came up, another year Methodist did. They both brought up really good teams. We scheduled 60 or so games but never got that many in. Now you schedule 40 and if you get a bunch of rainouts you're scrambling to make up games. It's just dumb.

Kids go to D-III because they want to play baseball, not because they're getting scholarship money to play. I don't know why you'd restrict games more just because kids aren't getting scholarships.

LTBB1971

Spence and Narch,
I agree with you both.  Salisbury still has games available in their schedule...but I do not think it's in their best interest to play CNU, as a lost vs the Captains may push CNU over the top.

As for the 40 game restrictions...completely stupid.  I remember when NCWC made it to regionals in 2008 and we had 3 weeks before first game vs York.  Team was flat...I thought they should have played maybe 3 more times to stay sharp.  Practice is great but there's nothing like game tempo.  They should allow DIII to increase it's limit to at least 45 games.

Spence

I think whatever the limit is, that's what it should be for all divisions. Educational demands don't change based on whether you're getting a scholarship or not. If D-I athletes can do it, so can D-III.

108 Stitches

Quote from: Spence on April 23, 2013, 03:17:35 PM
I think whatever the limit is, that's what it should be for all divisions. Educational demands don't change based on whether you're getting a scholarship or not. If D-I athletes can do it, so can D-III.

This statements shows your lack of understanding in the differences between divisions and the academic demands placed on students. I have had several high academic DIII student-athletes tell me that there is no way they could be playing D1 sports (baseball) and take the academic loads they have at the DIII level. Additionally D1 students have better transportation arrangements, tutors and other help that are not part DIII sports.

I do agree with others that slightly increasing the games to 43-55 would not be to onerous.

Spence

Quote from: 108 Stitches on April 23, 2013, 04:14:26 PM
Quote from: Spence on April 23, 2013, 03:17:35 PM

This statements shows your lack of understanding in the differences between divisions and the academic demands placed on students. I have had several high academic DIII student-athletes tell me that there is no way they could be playing D1 sports (baseball) and take the academic loads they have at the DIII level. Additionally D1 students have better transportation arrangements, tutors and other help that are not part DIII sports.

You may disagree as is your right, but do not EVER confuse your disagreement with me with my lack of understanding of anything about this sport.

That's all I'm gonna say because that's all you deserve.