NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulNewman

Wow.  Reminded yet again how glad I am my kid didn't go to a NESCAC.

Yes, LaPaz comes off as a little overconfident, but BURY certainly barged through the barroom door like a "recent alum" full of entitled bravado as well.  In defense of LaPaz I read his comment about Midd having it's worst season in a while as in the context of a historically very strong program and in the very same sentence he credited Midd with having the strongest recruiting class.  My gosh, he wasn't saying Midd is Colby or Bates! 

And I guess I see what a couple of you are saying about the hazing thing, but this reeks a little of the silent, privileged world of NESCAC-ites.  Do you think a hazing incident might make the news if it happened at Alabama, Kentucky, UCLA, or even Duke or Dartmouth?  Are D3 schools inherently more protected than D1s in terms of what happens there?  Maybe the Heo news shouldn't be reported.  Maybe none of the players should be critiqued.

letsGOswans!

Cacalum, loved your post. Look forward to your "second tier" analysis.

LaPaz

Ok im back....couldn't stay away, just had a really bad bad day yesterday and that MIDD alum hit my buttons....I also agree that more opinions not attacks are beneficial for this site.

LaPaz

Ok Midd 2012:  6-7-1   3-6-1 in conference...they graduate 12 players...a decent wingback Jack Freeman was a Seton Hall transfer and was solid, the other wingback they used I believe was William Gevertiz he would get burned by any decent player he had to defend and he was undersized. He has a year to go. The only other decent player they graduate is Portman who was injured. Thats 10 players they lose including 3 bad GK's. That's a lot of #'s that are lost. This is a positive. They bring in a frosh class including Greg Conrad from Brooks a huge hulking def cm or CB or anywhere in the backbone of the team, he should contribute right away. Tommy Dils a Williamstown native is a very solid sized skilled player who should also contribute right away. Adam Glazer a fast striker from the Maryland area who should get a couple goals and cause some havoc for defenses. Then a couple kids off that incredible 2012 Berkshire School team that were key starters on that team. They weren't the best players but can hold there own in the college game. I still haven't heard about any GK recruits which in my mind is a huge weakness for them heading into the season. As far as the best back 4 in the league, not even close. Will they play Ty Smith up front? There frosh from last year need to step up as Declan Robinson is not the answer. Never said Saward wasn't a good coach just that he was a bit lazy on the recruiting front in the past. I predict a under 10 win season and they may knock off a couple good teams but certainly have a way's to go. The frosh will have the learning curve and again the keeper situation is less than ideal.

Bury456

Short retirement.

In one breath you say more opinions and less bashing....then in your post you call all of the Midd GK's "bad".  They weren't bad they just weren't as good as the two best GK's this league has seen in Cahill and Bush.

I'm just saying that it's the same stuff every year.  if Williams isn't good, LaPAz disappears from the boards - if Williams is good, LaPaz goes and rips to shreds any other team that competes with them.  In 2010 he said Bowdoin played "kick and run", in 2011 and 2012 he ripped Amherst at every chance and he's already starting on Midd this year.  Watch what happens if Tufts beats Williams this year- he'll start chirping about something. 

I didn't say last year wasn't a disappointment. I said underestimating Middlebury was a mistake.  I'll take that 10 win wager.  One of us will have to admit they were wrong in a few months. 

I have no idea about recruits. 

Deklan Robinson is going to be a good player.  Started 8 games as a freshman.  Not many freshman in the entire league started that many games.  Give the kid a chance. 

LaPaz

I have never disappeared from this board since I joined...I am a NESCAC fan not a Williams fan...I happen to like the way Williams plays soccer compared to Amherst style. If you go back and read my posts which u certainly do not have to do I have said that Amherst has the talent to play a nice possession/playing forward on the ground game..i.e. Williams but instead played it safe last year and kick and ran...hey it worked they went 17-0-2. 

LaPaz

Also I am not "ripping" MIDD just giving my OPINION... I will be happy to give a fair and honest opinion about Williams.

quicksilver

This incoming recruit for Amherst, Elliot Cassutt, might be worth keeping an eye on. He was the PoY in Minnesota and has won lots of other accolades:

http://elitesoccerreport.com/2013/02/20/minnesota-boys-poy-elliot-cassutt/

And also the HS PoY for Alaska, Jackson Lehnhart:

http://juneauempire.com/sports/2013-05-19/lehnhart-chosen-2013-alaska-boys-soccer-player-year#.UhFesGQ4VvU

PaulNewman

Great articles.  All kidding aside, great reminder of the outstanding quality of kids these schools attract....and even all the way from Alaska.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: Bury456 on August 16, 2013, 01:44:40 PM
Short retirement.

In one breath you say more opinions and less bashing....then in your post you call all of the Midd GK's "bad".  They weren't bad they just weren't as good as the two best GK's this league has seen in Cahill and Bush.

I'm just saying that it's the same stuff every year.  if Williams isn't good, LaPAz disappears from the boards - if Williams is good, LaPaz goes and rips to shreds any other team that competes with them.  In 2010 he said Bowdoin played "kick and run", in 2011 and 2012 he ripped Amherst at every chance and he's already starting on Midd this year.  Watch what happens if Tufts beats Williams this year- he'll start chirping about something. 

I think more freshman started than you think. I know Tufts had a defender and a midfield-forward who started, and at the end of the year had another freshman defender starting.  All were solid.  The midfield-forward tied for the lead in assists on the team and was the second leading freshman scorer in the NESCAC.  The defender was very solid.  Amherst had a very good goalie freshman and Williams had an excellent forward freshman, leading all freshman scorers.

I didn't say last year wasn't a disappointment. I said underestimating Middlebury was a mistake.  I'll take that 10 win wager.  One of us will have to admit they were wrong in a few months. 

I have no idea about recruits. 

Deklan Robinson is going to be a good player.  Started 8 games as a freshman.  Not many freshman in the entire league started that many games.  Give the kid a chance.

I think more freshman started than you think. I know Tufts had a defender and a midfield-forward who started, and at the end of the year had another freshman defender starting.  All were solid.  The midfield-forward tied for the lead in assists on the team and was the second leading freshman scorer in the NESCAC.  The defender was very solid.  Amherst had a very good goalie freshman and Williams had an excellent forward freshman, leading all freshman scorers. They should all be exciting to watch!

Brother Flounder

Quote from: NCAC New England on August 18, 2013, 08:27:59 PM
Great articles.  All kidding aside, great reminder of the outstanding quality of kids these schools attract....and even all the way from Alaska.

They have soccer in Alaska????  ::)

repete

Better than you'd think.

Kelly Cobb of USWNT U-20s and Duke (22 starts as a freshman) is probably cream of crop right now.

LaPaz

As nescac1 reported earlier and I just double checked Williams website Mike Madding is out for the year with an injury. This is a blow to the Ephs midfield for sure. He isn't a flashy player or as creative as Muralles but he is a very solid player and does things that do not show up on the box score. He is one of few Williams players who gives 110% when he plays, kind of like the graduated Pete Christman. He tackles hard and tracks his man from 18 to 18. He is a step slow and can be replaced but still something to worry about for Williams.

amh63

First Amherst's Fall sorting contest is the men's soccer game on Sept. 4....an evening away game at New England College...check the website for time.  Should be interesting in that the preliminary roster is not posted and the freshmen have had little time to be folded into the team practices.

amh63

Amherst has posted it's preliminary roster.  It shows the names of six freshmen.....but not the brother of Julian.  Seems that the early recruitment list   is wrong or that he may have taken an "gap" year.  Heo is not listed.  First game is on Tues.