NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jump4Joy

It's a big NESCAC weekend for sure. LaPaz, I continue to enjoy reading your posts, especially the predictions. A couple of rebuttals:

In reference to the Williams/Amherst game, you write, "[W]e will surmise that Amherst succeeded in playing 'their' game." I become more confused by this implication. Every time Amherst plays "their" game against Williams, Williams doesn't win (they tied in NCAAs last year and advanced on PKs). In every game I've seen between these two NESCAC powerhouses, Williams looks eerily similar to Amherst in serving it long out of the back and then working to possess in the final third. So could it be that Williams has not succeeded in playing their game? ;)

Also, in defense of the Bates 'keeper last week: When there's a restart at the midstripe, most goalies cheat off the line a bit (top of 6-ish) in anticipation of a typical ball served into the mixer between the 6 and the 18. That's what this Bates 'keep did. Bull either decided to go for it (he does have the range) or got lucky. The ball dropped in just under the crossbar. So either opponents' keepers need to hold their line against Bull--even from extreme distance--which makes it easier for Amherst's targets to get to ball for a first or second ball on frame, or they continue to anticipate the service to make it difficult for targets to hit ball. Catch-22 against Amherst, apparently. Good for Bull, who should have been ROY last year (had to reiterate that point :) ). Nice to have a goalie who is a scoring/assist threat!

Saint of Old

Good job by Hamilton for a good performance at home vs Amherst.
It was always just a matter of time before Hamilton found its feet in a difficult league, they have historically been a strong club.
The result means nothing however, unless they build on it with a few more solid performances.

amh63

Saint...in a great weekend for Amherst teams, the TIE against Hamilton seemed a somewhat  downer to me, an Amherst fan.  Especially, when Amherst was starting to get it's offense going.  Hamilton must have played a heck of a game against the third ranked team.  FYI, it seems that the box showed that Amherst's first Team All-American, Julian A. Was in the game.  He had been missing for all but one previous games this season.  My congrats to your Continentals!

Saint of Old

They are not my Continentals at all  my friend.
Just competed against them a few times, and they were a very solid program.

My favorite color is Red.

I think Amherst scored with seconds to go and salvaged the tie.

PaulNewman

Not a lot of recent NESCAC commentary here (which I miss).

Some amateurish impressions thus far. 

Amherst is tough and will be a tough out for anyone but is not outstanding.  They lack the flair in attack of a Loras or Messiah.

The old nemesis Williams is gaining momentum and will be right there in the end.

Tufts COULD knock off either of the above in tournament play, but they also could lose to an inferior opponent.

Middlebury is close and may sneak in the NCAA tourney as the 4th NESCAC team but look for them next year to turn narrow losses into wins.

Trinity and Conn College are right on the edge.  A string of wins by either could land a NCAA spot, but I'm guessing their results will be too uneven for that to happen.  A surprise run in the NESCAC tourney may be their best hope.

Something not right at Wesleyan.  Big initial win away at Bowdoin.  Big home loss to Wheaton.  Barely, barely get by winless Colby at home.

Bowdoin playing better but just too much competition ahead of them.

Hamilton working hard to not be included in every sentence (like this one) with Colby and Bates.

Colby and Bates are very disappointing.  Hardly any offense at all.  Bates already replaced their long-time coach and you have to wonder if it is time for Colby coach (who really is a good guy and a Colby lifer) to graciously roll into emeritus status.

LaPaz

The league standings should come into more defined form after this weekend. A lot of teams have doubleheader league games.

Amherst-Colby,Wes and Trinity left. The title and hosting rights are in their hands. Wes is a home game and even a tie there could be fine. They usually handle Trinity and Colby, but who knows.

Wesleyan-Out of conference schedule has really killed any at-large chances unless they run the table which seems unlikely from such a young team. Games against Williams, Trinity, Conn, Amherst and Midd will most likely give them over 5 total losses and at-large even at 5 losses has been done maybe once or twice in the last 10 years.

Tufts- Still have Williams,Bowdoin,Conn left but a key non league win against Brandeis will surely put there at large into their own hands. That showdown at Williams next weekend could seal it.

Trinity-Non leagues done excellent. That 4-0 drubbing of Wheaton really took me back a little. Tough road ahead starting with at Midd, Wes, Conn, Amherst. They will finish with more than one loss. Biggest win right now is against Williams.

Williams-Non leagues done excellent. this weekend could make or break them. at Wes and at Bowdoin then Tufts at home. They win all those and they should be ok . Even a tie with Tufts would prob be fine.

Midd- Tough schedule so far, their non-leagues are horrible and they have had some bad luck. They will have to run the table and prob get to Final game of Nescac's or maybe even have to win it.

Conn- See Midd

Hamilton-Some great results at home, but the travel for them puts them at a total disadvantage this weekend and 2 losses out of league have done them in.

Bates- Totally unimpressed with the new coach. At least up until his final year Purgavie sometimes would produce decent if not tough teams to play against. This guy has had 2 years and 1 more recruiting class to figure it out.

Colby-0-5 in league but a better team than Bates and can be a tough out especially at home. I do not agree that it is time to force the coach out up there and they won't as he is to nice a guy and been there for years, plus I am sure he will be retiring in 3-4 years anyway.

NewEnglandSoccer

As someone who is close to the Colby coaching situation, I can safely say that Serdjenian has long overstayed his welcome. Somehow put in charge of a college soccer team, he has knowledge of the game equivalent to a poor high school coach. The assistant for the past three years (Oestergaard) was an excellent candidate, but left for UNE this year as he couldn't deal with Serdjenian's struggle to hold on to the head coaching spot.

LaPaz

hmmmmmm.....someone's kid isn't getting enough playing time

All NESCAC

Quote from: LaPaz on October 10, 2013, 09:17:26 PM
hmmmmmm.....someone's kid isn't getting enough playing time

Perhaps, but unless there have been multiple injuries to multiple starters, the W/L performance to date is a head scratcher  given that most of the Colby team was coming back from last year.  You can't get rid of the entire roster, but you can get rid of.... Don't know if they should or shouldn't, but its a tough situation as at this point do you already start playing for next year and sit Sr's/Jr's and play more underclassmen? This weekend should really clarify the NESCAC playoff picture and likely possible NCAA bids.  The league is much more balanced this season, and although Amherst sits in the top slot they are not the juggernaut of the last two years, slots 2 through 8 likely still will see a lot of movement over the next two weeks.  Can any one or two teams make a run in the last 5 games...it is possible, but likely to come from the team which is the healthiest as all teams are suffering from injuries at this point...should be an exciting last  few weeks.

LaPaz

Ummmm...they lost there best player Andrew Meisel in the central midfield. He made the engine run thru midfield. Very hard to replace that right away especially at Colby...

All NESCAC

Pretty much every team lost players, but when you return 8 or 9 starters from the previous year, even without your best midfielder you should be doing better than what Colby has shown to date. One player does not make a team...even a good midfielder....now if they lost a 10 goal scoring forward, then I could understand the loss of a single player creating a big void, but still one which can be overcome with different tactics/formation.  Hopefully Colby rights the ship as they have some talented players on their roster.

irvschmid

I agree with the posters regarding the overall record of Colby.   Lots of talented juniors are  on the Colby squad.   Their record does not make sense.

Trinity Middlebury could be interesting if Trinity has any magic left.   I would think Middlebury should win at home on turf.

Conn vs. Tufts at Tufts.   If Tufts gets healthy, they could do some damage in the championships.   Again, I pick Tufts at hime.   Conn College has not produced the support their fine target forward deserves. 

Williams Wesleyan could be interesting.  Wesleyan has some OK wins with one solid win against Tufts.   But Wesleyan has some confusing losses.   Williams is still searching for a winning lineup.   Williams is the better squad in this one.   

One fan's opinion. 

NewEnglandSoccer

LaPaz -- I do suppose that I came off as a little too abrasive and to the point. All I can say is that I do not, in fact, have a kid on this Colby team.

I suppose that the thing that really irks me about the Colby soccer program is the continual acceptance to finish at the bottom of the league every year. Much emphasis has been placed on the presence/absence of certain individual players on this thread, but when you broaden the scope of the picture (i.e. from the creation of the NESCAC to the present) you realize that Colby has never had a winning season. This simply cannot be a coincidence.
Bates had the same problem and made an attempt to fix it. It seems that Colby could care less about its Men's Soccer Program.

All NESCAC

Trinity vs Middlebury---Middlebury plays very good defense and tries to score off their set pieces (big physical team), not that dangerous in the run of play---Trinity is much more dangerous scoring from the flow of the game---I give the edge to Trinity even on the road.

Conn vs Tufts---both teams have been hit with the injury bug this year with constant changing lineups---Tufts is very strong at home and big physically---will Conn attack and let their offense loose or bunker in and hope for the tie---I give the edge to Tufts but could end up a tie like the last two years.

Wesleyan vs Williams---Wesleyan has been a mystery this year up and down--Williams is finally getting healthy at forward--edge to the Ephs.

All NESCAC

Conn dominates Tufts at home wins 2 to 1.  Surprise game?