NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPaz

I would switch Bull and Jones. Glasor might be the fastest striker and he does score goals but there is no way he is MVP of Nescac. I will put money on it that the coaches do not vote him MVP at the end of the year. I wouldn't bet my house on it but maybe $100

MENESCACFAN

I would make that bet too, the award will go to a senior as it always does, whether they are the best player or not.

Corazon

Quote from: Corazon on September 24, 2014, 04:44:14 PM
Nice summary, MENESCACFAN. Hope to see more posts from you.

This post caused someone to give me a negative karma. Seriously.

As for top players, Bull and Glaser are both worthy candidates, IMO. I also believe Hoppenot of Tufts should be mentioned, although his coach's bizarre playing patterns have certainly hurt his cause (along with Santos). Rashid was my pre-season pick but he obviously can't be considered any longer.
If Hawkey got it last year, I see no reason for Glaser not to get it this year unless politics of him being a sophomore get in the way.

Amherst is the team to beat again. No surprises there. Serpone hustles and recruits good players. Combine that with the winning tradition and the top notch academics, and you have a perennial champion. It'll be interesting to see Russo's successor go up against Serpone on the recruiting trail.

LaPaz

Quote from: MENESCACFAN on September 24, 2014, 06:50:53 PM
I would make that bet too, the award will go to a senior as it always does, whether they are the best player or not.

The award does not always go to a senior. When Williams used to dominate, Alex Blake won it as a Soph and Junior, Khari Stephenson won it as a Junior and Josh Bolton won it as a Junior.

The seniors that have won it have def deserved it. Stephenson, Bolton, Huffer, Bush, Purdy, Noon, Connor Smith and Hawkey.

The one senior who did not deserve it was Harrison Watkins. He was a good back but not an MVP type.

Also, let us not over hype Amherst this year. They are not as good as 2013 and significantly not as good as 2012, which was a team that should have won a national championship.

Bucket

Quote from: LaPaz on September 24, 2014, 04:50:11 PM
How can the conferences best player have no left foot. Lets see what Midd does the rest of the way. They are better than last year because of GK. Still have to go to Trinty, Williams and Hamilton. Tufts and Wes at home.

Are Trinity and Hamilton that much more difficult road contests than Conn? Are Tufts and Wesleyan that much more difficult home contests than Amherst?

I agree—with regard to all teams and not just Middlebury—that one needs to see the rest of the schedule play out before we know how good anyone is. That's a basic concept. But I think it's a fair assessment at this point to say Midd could finish at or near the top of the conference.  It's not as if the Panthers have played only conference bottom feeders thus far.

LaPaz

I wasn't comparing who is more difficult. I said Glasor has no left foot and that Midd has the most pathetic non-conference schedule. Try reading and then responding

MENESCACFAN

Good call on Hoppenot, very good player, winner's mindset and relentless runner.

MENESCACFAN

MIDWEEK REVIEW PART 2

Is it just me, or is this the worst out of conference week for a long while in the NESCAC?

Western New England 1 Wesleyan 0

WNE have always been a Bear (sorry) for teams, but surprising to see a talented Wesleyan go down.  Wesleyan are a defensively tough group who maybe lack some firepower, this result could underline that.  Last year's out of conference losses had something to do with the Hazing suspensions, this is an out and out upset.

MIT 1 Tufts 1

Big boy matchup for the D3 word here.  Two teams that are likely to feature come NCAA tournament time.  1-1 draw likely a sign of mutual strength.  Kayne scores for Tufts, who seem to be a team with 4 or 5 regular scoring threats to come at you with.  Easy team on the eye too.

MIT still undefeated, so their coach may be engineering (sorry again) a quality season.

PaulNewman

Gut reaction from a NESCAC perspective is to be disappointed about Wesleyan loss and failure to score goals.  And also moderately disappointed by Tufts 1-1 draw with MIT.  They need to win some of these games if they hope to meet the expectations that have eluded them.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: NCAC New England on September 24, 2014, 10:32:02 PM
Gut reaction from a NESCAC perspective is to be disappointed about Wesleyan loss and failure to score goals.  And also moderately disappointed by Tufts 1-1 draw with MIT.  They need to win some of these games if they hope to meet the expectations that have eluded them.

Watched some of the tufts MIT game.  Again, tufts outplayed their opponent, especially in overtime. Tufts midfield looked excellent. MIT scored with about 3 minutes left. Kayne almost scored a second gol but the goaltender made an excellent punch over the crossbar. MIT comes after the ball well. They are a good team. Agree the jumbos need to win some of these games. Hope to make it to the Amherst tufts game this weekend. The Jeff's coming off a big win seemed to have turned a corner. Should be entertaining.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: LaPaz on September 24, 2014, 07:45:43 PM
Quote from: MENESCACFAN on September 24, 2014, 06:50:53 PM

The award does not always go to a senior. When Williams used to dominate, Alex Blake won it as a Soph and Junior, Khari Stephenson won it as a Junior and Josh Bolton won it as a Junior.

The seniors that have won it have def deserved it. Stephenson, Bolton, Huffer, Bush, Purdy, Noon, Connor Smith and Hawkey.

The one senior who did not deserve it was Harrison Watkins. He was a good back but not an MVP type.

Also, let us not over hype Amherst this year. They are not as good as 2013 and significantly not as good as 2012, which was a team that should have won a national championship.

Agree the Jeff's should have won it all in 2012.  Very strong and big team. They may not be as good but they certainly are talented and are probably the team to beat. That said, they have looked beatable at times this year.

Brother Flounder

Quote from: LaPaz on September 24, 2014, 08:05:40 PM
I wasn't comparing who is more difficult. I said Glasor has no left foot and that Midd has the most pathetic non-conference schedule. Try reading and then responding
[/quote

Agree about the non-conference schedule. Other nescac teams have much harder non conference schedules....

Jump4Joy

Seems glaring to leave Bull off any Top 5 list in NESCAC.
Sorry about Rashid, but he can't be included.
In the Midd game I saw this year, Conrad had more consistent impact.
Muralles must be considered, I agree.

blooter442

Quote from: Brother Flounder on September 24, 2014, 11:27:57 PM
Watched some of the tufts MIT game.  Again, tufts outplayed their opponent, especially in overtime. Tufts midfield looked excellent. MIT scored with about 3 minutes left. Kayne almost scored a second gol but the goaltender made an excellent punch over the crossbar. MIT comes after the ball well. They are a good team. Agree the jumbos need to win some of these games. Hope to make it to the Amherst tufts game this weekend. The Jeff's coming off a big win seemed to have turned a corner. Should be entertaining.

Agreed. I live down the street from Kraft Field, so I was able to see a bit. Tufts definitely the better side, especially in the midfield, but seem to lack incisiveness in the final third. Hoppenot looked dangerous as always, but I would have thought that Santos would have been a bit more involved—seemed to drift out of the game a bit. I personally believe MIT to be a bit behind Tufts, but they were dogged and hung in there. You could say that MIT was a bit fortunate to get a draw, as SOG were 8-1 Tufts. Then again, most of those shots were relatively routine efforts, so it wasn't completely undeserved. It will be interesting to see how Tufts approaches the Amherst match at the weekend.

Bucket

Quote from: LaPaz on September 24, 2014, 08:05:40 PM

Here is what i responded to, as you wrote it, verbatim:

"How can the conferences best player have no left foot. Lets see what Midd does the rest of the way. They are better than last year because of GK. Still have to go to Trinty, Williams and Hamilton. Tufts and Wes at home."

You say nothing of an out of conference schedule. What you do say is that "let's see what Midd does the rest of the way." And then you reference "still hav[ing] to go to Trinity, Williams and Hamilton. Tufts and Wes at home."

That is what I responded to.

So how should I have read it any differently, exactly?