Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on May 16, 2018, 09:14:06 AM
Vandy74...good to hear from you.  Wow, your niece is graduating!  How time flies...thought in my mind she was a junior.  If her classmate and good friend from Naples Florida? is also crossing the stage on Sunday, I have a favor to ask of you.  In case that friend's grandfather..Bob Landon'62..is introduced, please say hi to him for me :).  He was a frat brother and a roommate.  We sometimes double dated.  Very successful Harvard educated estate lawyer, I recall.  Going over the Holyoke notch/gap in his two seat convertible car with dates was a challenge...like "stuffing a telephone booth" ;D
There maybe a chance that you could meet the author of "Foxtrot"...one of your favorite authors. Amherst is preparing the Quad for outdoor graduation today.

amh63,

Yes it's hard to believe my niece is about to graduate college.  It seems like yesterday she was graduating high school.  I hope it doesn't rain and send the ceremony indoors.  Panther basketball fans seldom feel comfortable in LeFrak.  I'll certainly give Bob Landon your regards if I find him.  The two of you and your dates shooting the gap in his two seat convertible?  Where there's a will...... ;D 8-)  I believe Bill Amends' son is a class behind but I'll certainly check to make sure.

That's a tough bracket Amherst is in.  Good luck taking down the Cardinals.  I'm glad you'll be in Gettysburg to root on the LJs.  Brother Dick remembers meeting you there.   

Vandy74

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 16, 2018, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: amh63 on May 16, 2018, 11:50:16 AM

Don't believe I will make the games this weekend. I thought about being there on Saturday (after my son's lax came about 45 minutes away), but not sure with the weather it is worth the hassle. I can't be there Sunday as I will be at Navy as the PA announcer for the D1 men's lacrosse quarterfinals.

Just so long as your reservations are set for Salem the following weekend Dave.  Where does your son play?

MUC57

amh63

Have been chatting with Vandy74, one of the good guys. Says you are also a good guy and knowledgable in women's lacrosse. I plan on getting on this board in the future. Look forward to exchanging thoughts with you. Mount Union isn't up to your level yet, but we're working on it. Have a good summer. Chat with you later.
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 17, 2018, 07:28:13 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 16, 2018, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: amh63 on May 16, 2018, 11:50:16 AM

Don't believe I will make the games this weekend. I thought about being there on Saturday (after my son's lax came about 45 minutes away), but not sure with the weather it is worth the hassle. I can't be there Sunday as I will be at Navy as the PA announcer for the D1 men's lacrosse quarterfinals.

Just so long as your reservations are set for Salem the following weekend Dave.  Where does your son play?

My reservations are set - got them taken care of weeks ago. :)

My son plays in a U8 (kind of) rec league of sorts. Sadly, they like to make things as much "travel" as they can even at his age, so he barely plays peers in his area. The "tournament" is scheduled for Carroll Community College in Westminster, Md. (south of the town) - about 50 minutes from Gettysburg. However, with the weather this week - i would be SHOCKED if they are playing. Wife told me they are looking into other field options (turf), but I am not holding my breathe. I would love to mention McDaniel, Stevenson, and others to them ... but I am also beyond frustrated with this group. We have plans (along with other friends) to move to a different program next year.

That said... my son scored 4 of his teams 6 goals in the game last week. He also blocked one of his teammate's shots (while tied 6-6) while trying to make clear to his teammate he was open for a pass. Shot went right off his helmet as he ended up standing right in front of the goal on the crease line. SMH I still haven't looked to see if I have a picture of it. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

PolarCat

Quote from: MUC57 on May 16, 2018, 02:51:11 PM

Then here is "PolarCat". He enjoyed attacking the Mount Union program and me. He even mentioned me in a diragatory (sic) manner just a few weeks back. Kind of takes the fun out of posting. Don't know what his problem is, but, as you probably noticed, I quit posting on this board.

Gosh, I hope you filed a Hurt Feelings Report over that one.  Since the post in question was on another board, I thought I should set the record straight.  You had made a really derogatory comment about the NESCAC on the NESCAC Football board, and I called you out on it.  Remember what you said?

Quote from: MUC57 on April 27, 2018, 11:14:21 AM

Good to see you speaking up on the comments from the NESCAC crowd. They sure talk a great story for someone that won't play outside their conference. Mount Union has had some tough games with East Region teams. Standout QB's, good discipline and good coaching. NESCAC fans live in a world of make believe. Play some games against the LL and the E8. Then we can all see how great you are.

I'm fairly certain I'll hear from some NESCAC people, but so be it! On the other hand, maybe I won't. Their arms may be sore from patting themselves on their back.

By the way, I don't think anyone has really missed the fact that you and your hurt feelings have stopped posting here.  I suspect Vandy74 had other folks in mind.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

This group may know this, but I love this little nugget:

Wesleyan will take on Salisbury at Foxborough, where Bill Belichick will probably be on hand. Belichick graduated from Wesleyan where he was captain of the lacrosse team. He loves the sport and has been a pretty big supporter of Johns Hopkins. Nothing against Salisbury, but Wesleyan may have a little extra support at what should be considered a home game. :)

(For the record, my father is alum of Wesleyan as well.)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ephoops

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 23, 2018, 01:09:19 PM
This group may know this, but I love this little nugget:

Wesleyan will take on Salisbury at Foxborough, where Bill Belichick will probably be on hand. Belichick graduated from Wesleyan where he was captain of the lacrosse team. He loves the sport and has been a pretty big supporter of Johns Hopkins. Nothing against Salisbury, but Wesleyan may have a little extra support at what should be considered a home game. :)

(For the record, my father is alum of Wesleyan as well.)

Good luck to Wes vs Salisbury.

Wesleyan's take down of RIT in the semi-finals was an epic game. 

Harry Stanton has to be the best player in the history of Wes men's lacrosse (Belichick included!!).

MUC57

Have really enjoyed following the women's tournament, even though Mount Union got knocked out by a superior Mary Washington team. Down to Middlebury and Gettysburg. I'll watch it this afternoon. What a great sport this is. As it grows in popularity, maybe some newer teams can challenge the Eastern teams. But, for now, NESCAC teams and certain other teams are dominate. Still fun to watch.
Since I don't have a favorite in today's championship game, I'll wish good luck to both schools! They certainly deserve to be there. Go Panthers and Go Bullets!

Vandy74

Congratulations to the Wesleyan Cardinals, 8-6 winners over defending national champion Salisbury.  I didn't see coach Belichick in the stands but I'm sure he's a happy camper right about now.

It seems the weather isn't cooperating on the women's side of things.  Go NESCAC!  Go Panthers!  May the best team win.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Weather is not cooperating... we are now delayed until 8pm ET and HOPING we can get it in. It is, as you can imagine, really screwing with plans.

MUC57

Women' championship game time now at Monday 10:00 AM.

Vandy74

Pictures and film of Ellicott City, MD are heartrending.   

MUC57

Halftime

Gettysburg 6
Middlebury 5

Great game between two standout teams.

Vandy74

It wasn't the result I'd hoped for, but it was a great game.  Final score: 11-9, but it really wasn't that close for much of the second half.  Gettysburg's defense stymied the Panther offense throughout game and there was no stopping Liza Barr who owned five of the eleven Bullet tallies.  There should be a rule against the Bullets' GK Bailey Pilder.  Are we absolutely certain she's not a senior? 

I believe today's win pushes winning HC Carol Cantele past Missy Foote on the wlax career victories list.  Second place in DIII and third place overall?  Regardless, congratulations to the longtime Bullet mentor who obviously has a few more winning seasons in mind.

Winning their second consecutive championship the Bullets become the fourth team in the history of DIII wlax to have done so.  The others?  The rest of this season's final four.

Thanks to Dave McHugh and Monika Moore for their excellent commentary.  Their knowledge of the game and a sense of when to explain as well as simply report the action on the field makes it so much easier to appreciate and understand.  And thanks for sticking around an extra day. ;)

MUC57

Vandy74

Enjoyed reading your post on the game. I'm still learning this game so every bit of info helps. I also, of course, know nothing about coaches records, what teams have back- to-back championships, etc.
I know you were rooting for Middlebury but they played a hell of a game. Even my limited knowledge of the game allows me to see that. Only. 1 goal difference in each half.
It was fun to watch two quality teams battle it out. And the semi-finals had 4 teams ranked 1, 2, 3, and 4! Doesn't get any better than that.
Everyone have a safe summer and remember what today is!
This was on a sign in Alliance
       "In memory of many
        In honor of all"
I, an Air Force veteran, thank all those that paid the ultimate price for our freedoms!