NWC/SCIAC in-game updates board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 01, 2011, 01:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D O.C.

ExTP...sound football logic from someone with nothing in the game. You also understand when a team has a chance to avenge that 2 pointer with a tit-for-tat, they just might. Maybe an on-side kick with a chance to get the ball back to protect a double point production lead as well.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: D O.C. on December 12, 2015, 07:03:32 PM
ExTP...sound football logic from someone with nothing in the game. You also understand when a team has a chance to avenge that 2 pointer with a tit-for-tat, they just might. Maybe an on-side kick with a chance to get the ball back to protect a double point production lead as well.

Hey, nothing wrong with that. 

I think the "sportsmanship" rules also can bend a little further when you get to the national semifinals in the name of preserving/securing the victory.  Like I said, I don't see this as UST scoring to be jerks (although they've been accused of that elsewhere) as much as I see "They've got a dangerous offense and have scored on two straight possessions, let's push that lead to a round three TD's just in case they stay hot."  For example, just a couple weeks ago Cortland got a little wild and woolly near the end against Linfield with a quick score-onside-score (although that game was a little further out of reach, it still shows that a few TD's can happen in a short time with a few lucky bounces)...if Linfield pulled the same score-onside-score within a minute or two against UST, suddenly things get a little nervy...
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

desertcat1

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on December 12, 2015, 06:58:52 PM
Quote from: D O.C. on December 12, 2015, 06:44:52 PM
Going for 2. Insult.  I might understand if you let some freshman have a crack at it.

Replying to this again:

Come on now.  This isn't the same as going for 2 against a Carleton team you're going to beat by 80.  Linfield had scored TD's on two straight drives and was building some momentum; you guys just had a crazy come-from-behind win last week, too.  UST was guarding against the (admittedly long shot but not yet out of bounds) scenario that Linfield would continue the furious rally.  It's a one in a million shot, but imagine how you feel if Linfield scores a couple more times and it's 37-31 with Linfield lining up for one more onside kick...you'd start wondering "Damn, why didn't I go for 2 on that last touchdown?"

Look, I understand that any fan is going to be salty about stuff done against their own team, but as a completely neutral fan with zero dog in this fight who usually keeps a pretty close eye on "sportsmanship" I have zero problem going for 2 there to make your lead an even three touchdowns.

Basically, unless Linfield is going to concede the game and stop trying to come back, St. Thomas is within their rights to continue scoring and secure the win.  If you're going to get pissy about the other team scoring to make sure you don't come back, you have to agree to stop trying to come back.  Take it as a compliment.  The UST staff considered Linfield enough of a threat that they didn't feel safe with a 20-point lead and 5 minutes to play, so they wanted to make it an even 21.
I understand all that BUT,  cmom  man still trying to score under a minute with a three score lead inside the 10.... take a knee... :P. is total CLASSLESS :-*

congrats to toms better team  today,    with  bigger  :-*butts...  nice run game..  :P  lets see how the mighty MT U does next week,  i'm  hoping on their bus.  :-*
" If you are going to be a bear, be a Grizzly"

C.W. Smith

CAT BAT 22

I have no prob with them going for 2 and agree with the logic already mentioned ... it may have been fueled by a lack of class, but the plausible deniability remains as you're trying to go up by an even 3 scores.  Bottom line, they were the dominant team. 

MonroviaCat

I'm with Keith (via twitter)--"I liked Linfield keeping St. Thomas out of the end zone at the end even though it had no effect on the outcome".

I'm not sure that was really classless--it wasn't like he threw it or ran anything tricky--but it was nice to see our guys battle till the end. 
Go Cats!

CalCat

Quote from: MonroviaCat on December 12, 2015, 06:59:00 PM
Quote from: CalCat on December 12, 2015, 06:54:48 PM
Watching both game today l think Mt. Union will win it all.  Don't think UST defense can stop Mt Union but UST will have to do more than run and not sure they will against MU defense.
I dunno--I kind of thought Mt. U looked a lot like Linfield (especially the way their Defense is made up)----Tommies might be able to run it quite well.  That being said, I think Mt. U's offense comes out stronger than the Cats did so it should be a better game......
We we see MC and l hope you are right but MU will be able to run just as well l think against the Tommies as the Tommies will against MU but overall l think MU's defense is better and MU more versatile on offense. I see MU by 10 with my head but would rather see the Tommies get one.
CalCat

desertcat1

mt. U is on the move .. cuts lead to 14 to 7. early  in second .

C.W. Smith

desertcat1

C.W. Smith

D O.C.

D O.C.

Yeah, it's 4:15 am in the morning on the Friday before the first game of the year.
Just wanted to make sure everything worked alright.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: D O.C. on September 09, 2016, 07:21:17 AM
Yeah, it's 4:15 am in the morning on the Friday before the first game of the year.
good idea--by the way--I'll be traveling tomorrow (funeral in Utah) so not sure if I'll get much of the game.  Bring it on home boys!
Go Cats!

desertcat1

Quote from: D O.C. on September 09, 2016, 07:21:17 AM

Heading to Mexico( islands) to do some tuna fishing ..  Get er done boys ..

Go Cats
Go BIG D

C.W. Smith

D O.C.

So much for counting on you two guys.
Sorry for the loss and sorry for the tuna.
At least I can count on Shutterbug to join me. But then, be may have birdwatching planned.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: D O.C. on September 09, 2016, 11:07:03 AM
So much for counting on you two guys.
Sorry for the loss and sorry for the tuna.
At least I can count on Shutterbug to join me. But then, be may have birdwatching planned.
hoping to see some of the first half....we'll see. 
Go Cats!

desertcat1

from the sea shores of old mexico .... 8-)

GO CATS
GO BIG D     

Fish on .. :-*

C.W. Smith