MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schipper Strong

Central does get another win today over Luther 94-90. So maybe they exceeded expectations for those who only have them 4 conference wins in the projections. It is just disappointing to have them play well in a number of pre-Christmas games and then do so poorly after Christmas. Seems to happen every year under Douma. They have the potential to be a top half team, yet every year they struggle to make the tourney. Once they do though they give it a good run. This year they will need a lot of help to get there. I hope all these guys really give it their all in the off season. I am ready for them to live up to their potential.

Smitty Oom

Not that anyone needs more reason to think that #1 NWU is having a great year, but they currently lead the nation with an amazing 54.5 FG% and are second in the nation with a 1.85 Ast:TO ratio. An incredibly efficient and well oiled offense the Prairie Wolves are running this season.

dunkin3117

NWU has cliniced the #1 seed.  Playing for a tournament berth Wednesday—Dubuque (BYE), Simpson is in with a Win over Central. Central and BV both needing a win to stay alive.

*NWU (13-1)
vs Coe
at Luther

*Loras (10-4)
vs Luther
at Central

*Wartburg (9-5)
vs BV
at UD

*Coe (8-6)
at NWU
vs Simpson

Simpson (7-7)
vs Central
at Coe

Dubuque (6-9)
BYE
vs Wartburg

Central (5-9)
at Simpson
vs Loras

BV (5-10)
at Wartburg
BYE

Luther (1-13)
at Loras
vs NWU

duckfan41

Top 25 for Week 10 is up.

https://d3hoops.com/top25/men/2018-19/week10

NWU maintains stranglehold on #1. Loras moves up from #22 to #20.

DBQ1965

Off the subject but nevertheless interesting.  I watched a documentary on our local public television station about George Washington Carver.  It seems he spent a year at Simpson College in the1890s and went on to earn a Bachelor's degree and Master's degree at Iowa State.  If you don't know who he is, you need to enrich your knowledge.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

duckfan41

Quote from: DBQ1965 on February 11, 2019, 05:33:03 PM
Off the subject but nevertheless interesting.  I watched a documentary on our local public television station about George Washington Carver.  It seems he spent a year at Simpson College in the1890s and went on to earn a Bachelor's degree and Master's degree at Iowa State.  If you don't know who he is, you need to enrich your knowledge.

So. Many. Peanuts.

dunkin3117

Biggest game of the night is going to be Central at Simpson.  Looking at things a little closer, UD will have the tie breaker of Central via head-to-head...tonight is a must win for the Dutch. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

dunkin3117

The field is set...
#1 NWU
#2 Loras (hold tie breaker over Wartburg via Win over NWU)
#3 Wartburg
#4/5 Simpson
#4/5 Coe
#6 Dubuque

#1 NWU, BYE
#2 Loras, BYE
#3 Wartburg vs #6 Dubuque
#4 Simpson/Coe vs #5 Simpson/Coe

Coe travels to Simpson on Saturday, both will play one another again on Tuesday.  Winner Saturday will determine who hosts on Tuesday. 

dunkin3117

First round tonight.  Oddly enough, both matchups are playing one another again after playing Saturday.  Simpson will host Coe, winner will head out to NWU on Thursday.  Wartburg will host UD, winner to Loras. 

doolittledog

Dubuque was down 41-30 at the half.  Spartans came out hot in the 2nd half and took a 60-47 lead.  Wartburg fought back...Dubuque hangs on for a 83-80 win. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

doolittledog

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 20, 2019, 09:31:44 AM

Can Loras actually beat Dubuque?

Loras can, and probably should beat Dubuque.  It's hard to beat a team 3 straight times...as Wartburg just found out with Dubuque.  Dubuque has 2 wins on the season against a good Loras team.  But I will say, Dubuque wasn't playing spectacularly in those 2 games against the Duhawks. Poor free throw shooting by Dubuque kept Loras in those 2 games.   As they say, this is why you play the game.  Should be a fun cross town rivalry game once again.  I'm hoping for a 3rd Spartan victory over Loras   :)
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Gregory Sager

Quote from: doolittledog on February 20, 2019, 10:15:17 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 20, 2019, 09:31:44 AM

Can Loras actually beat Dubuque?

Loras can, and probably should beat Dubuque.  It's hard to beat a team 3 straight times

Ah, the old cliché that makes no sense.

Think about it: This cliché provides no context. It's just a blanket generalization, and it's one of those blanket generalizations for which one can find thousands of examples at the drop of a hat that prove it wrong. Nebraska Wesleyan beat Luther this season by 33 at home and by 24 at Luther. Do you really think that it would be hard for the Prairie Wolves to beat the Norse a third time? St. Thomas beat Macalester by 22 on the home floor of the Scots and by 33 at St. Thomas. Would you still insist that it would be hard for the Tommies to triumph a third time over Macalester?

Now, if you qualified it by inserting the word "good" between 'a" and "team", then you've got something that has some truth to it. The problem is that it's also so obvious as to be a truism. It's hard to beat a good team once, let alone three times.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

doolittledog

The number 1 ranked team in the nation could easily beat any number of teams 3 times in a season.  For 2 teams closer in strength to each other, I think you can argue it's unlikely for 1 team to get 3 straight wins against another.  Especially when you take in home court, rivalry factors and what not. 

This is the ARC page, those on here will understand Dubuque/Wartburg or Dubuque/Loras is different than talking a top ranked team against a team at the bottom of the conference.