MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamm

One thing I want to add, if I didn't make a point to examine who started for Potsdam I would have no idea whether the starters were in the game the rest of the way.  Made no difference.  They lost nothing.  That is a very good team.  Too bad Fisher didn't give them their best effort.

xoverj

When I saw potsdam play in January, I knew that they were good......but they weren't really a great team at that point.  The fact that all of those guys are playing together on the same page is scary.  I agree with BasketballMike, there is no doubt that the SUNYAC prepares a team for the postseason, every game in the SUNYAC brings a postseason environment.  Especially the long road trips and the constant upsets.

jdex

Kudos, kudos, kudos to Potsdam!! Exceptionally well done. Carry on.
Just recently dug ourselves from snowbanks upon reentering NY from FLA.
We know CStaters are pulling the Bears way, especially after RDragons had Pdam on the ropes in north country and then won at home. Guess that's a way of saying TSpan & Co. had a pretty fair season themselves. Will look even better should Coach Dobbs and Potsdamers extend this thing ....

wherestheenergy

where's bulb?......hmm...*tumble weed*...*cricket*

Bigdaddy

So....I predicted Potsdam by 5....and I was wrong...they won by 24. Potsdam won the rebounding as advertised.  

Potsdam was all we said they were. To be honest...Fisher is a really great team...I felt like they needed to have seen a lot more game tape of Potsdam than they apparently had the oppourtunity to.  

As for the Amherst facility...I was very disappointed. It was not big enough. Didnt have enough parking. Didnt have walkways to parking(walk in the road) and Amherst did not even have a refreshment booth. Their vending was empty by half time of the Rochester game. Couldnt buy a water.  

This game should have been held at Rochester or Potsdam. Amherst facility is junk.  

I am on my way back on the road to see tonights game.  

Prediction...even rebounding....UR Center wont have a great night. Hauben will be held to 13 pts. Potsdam will win by 14.  

I was not impressed by the AMherst team last night. It was Schiel...who was awesome....and beyond that...they werent that good.

portgrad2004

UR2004,

Yeah, that was a great game even with the outcome.  All I remember about that game though was trying to walk back to my dorm during the storm in the wind tunnel that we call Brockport...Almost got blown over a couple times...

Can't lose with tonight's matchup, either a team from the SUNYAC, or a team from the Rochester Area...good luck to both.

Bigdaddy

not josh reed

ur2004

Rochester 67, Potsdam 51.

UR led by 2 then ended the game on a huge run...

would have been even more of a blowout if UR actually hit its free throws, but they shot something like 57% from the floor

Rebounding was even...

thealmascots

It's a rematch of the 1992 Championship game on Friday night - Rochester and Calvin.  It was Chris Fite against Steve Honderd in that one and Honderd and the Knights took home the hardware.  What's the predictions for this one?
Home of the 8 time MIAA Champions - 1911, 1924, 1925, 1933, 1934, 1941, 1942, 1978

unbearable

Ugh, just got home from Amherst.  First of all, congrats to U of R, I hope you win it all.  

I was really looking forward to a very intense physical game inside, to see how the two 6'7"'s Harris and Turner would match up against Hauben and Onyiriuka.  I thought their interior defense would be the key to the game.  Four seconds into the game, the ref called a ticky-tack foul on Turner, and another with minimal contact less than two minutes later.  Neither were obvious, nor were they charge/block decisions.  Turner then sat the next eighteen minutes of the half.  Anyone familiar with Rochester knows how they love to pound it inside and play physical, and immediately the game was altered.

Potsdam couldn't buy a bucket, shooting 31% in the first half.  It was the exact opposite of the Fisher game.  Still, despite the big guy on the bench, and playing a bad half offensively, they were down three at the break.  

Rochester shot 70% from the field in the second half.  Still , the Bears were within two with 3 and a half minutes to go. You have to hand it to U of R.  Every time the Bears needed that crucial stop, Rochester knocked down the jumpers.

Obviously, I'm biased, but I just hate to see referees take the game out of the hands of the players, especially knowing what type of game it would be.

To all the Bears, thanks for a great run.

Maybe I'm just extra mad because I had Potsdam, York, and Stevens Point in the final four in my bracket.  

I'd love to hear other impressions of those who were at the game.
Gee, I'm real sorry your mom blew up, Ricky. - Lane Myer

bearnation

Potsdam had a great run.  They beat themselves last night by not hitting the open jumpers.  UR played a 2/3 defense and said shoot over it but Potsdam couldn't buy a shot. Coach Doobs thanks for bringing back quality basketball to Potsdam/Maxcy.  UR good luck.

FYI the final four top 25 rackings 1,14,19,21

owen jones

Rats! Too bad it ends just short of the final four, but Bearnation is right on the money - quality basketball is back at Potsdam. It was a great year.  

Here's a scary set of facts about the WIAC. Early in the season UW-Superior gets on the bus for a tournament in Rochester, where they defeat the hosts, U of R, 72-67. Superior is considered one of the weaker teams in the WIAC. Superior's WIAC Conference record is 5-11. They were overwhelmed by Stevens Point, 77-42 at home, 83-58 at Stevens Point, and 88-68 in the conference tournament. Good luck to U of R.

ur2004

owen, that's true, however UR was playing that game without Gabe Perez, their starting PG and last night's leading scorer (16 pts) = but it still does go to show that the WIAC is pretty competitive.  I'm rooting hard for York http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

boobyhasgameyo

Plus you can't really compare scores of different games like that.  Any team can win on any day.  I see your point about the conference believe me I do, but if you follow that kind of logic then......

U of R earlier in the year lost to R.I.T. by about 8 points I believe, a team Fisher beat four times including a final score of 92-51 in the E8 championship game.  And Fisher in turn lost to Potsdam by 24.  That means Potsdam should have won the U of R game by about 73 points.