BB: E8: Empire 8

Started by maxpower, February 23, 2007, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Maxwell

LOL... thanks for the chuckle Ralph.

superman57

or better yet Ralph a west texas team should come up around thanksgiving and play a northeast team on real grass...
Quote from: Tags on October 10, 2007, 10:59:38 PM
You're the only dood on the board that doesn't know & accept that '57 can't spell.

Poor grammar and horrible spelling... it's just how he rolls.

John McGraw

(Note: This is the second post. I had written out a majority of it before accidentally hitting one of the buttons above and losing everything.)

Ithaca wins their first game on the east coast of the 2007 season this afternoon in Maryland. The Bombers best the Shoremen of Washington College, 6-1.

-The game was originally postponed along with a twin bill against Gettysburg because of rain. Apparently, the conditions got better and this game was able to be played - probably with a slight chill in the air.
-Bombers bash out 12 hits and score six runs
-IC pitchers allowed just seven hits and Matt LaVoie earned the win (jeez, seems like he's been there forever).
-Ithaca scored single runs in each of the first three innings and never trailed. Washington's only run came in the sixth inning
-Bombers use a slightly different outfield line-up according to LiveStats. Peters in left field, Samela in center and Wolf in right.
-Raux was behind the plate, Bednarcyk at short and Dylan Perez attending to the hot corner. Todd Czerno at second, Ferguson on first. Josh Smith got the day off.

*LaVoie 6.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K; McDaniel 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K; Gardner 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K
*Ferguson 2-for-5, 3 RBI
*Raux 3-for-4, HR (solo), 2 RBI
*Samela 2-for-5
*Maya 1-for-1, 2 R
*Everyone had a hit for Ithaca except Friedman and Peters.

Ithaca is scheduled to open their home schedule on Tuesday against Oswego State. This is one of the earliest home openers I can remember at Freeman Field. My senior year, I think the opener was on April 1, against Oswego - and I thought that was early.

It won't get any easier in terms of home dates and weather. Ithaca hosts New Paltz on Wednesday and then has back-to-back doubleheaders against St. John Fisher on Saturday and Sunday.

Overall, only seven home dates for Ithaca this year. The majority will come by the end of the week. The only other home games are Oneonta 4/10, Cortland 4/18 and Mansfield (seriously) 4/29. Bombers also will play a "home game" against St. Lawrence on May 1. The game will be at Falcon Park in Auburn.

Weather for this week on the South Hill looks about average for this time of year. Rain in the forecast tomorrow, then cloudy skies and 55 degree temps on Tuesday. That's about right, maybe a little warm. Wednesday will be the same, but the high may not get out of the 40s. Then, rain and snow in the forecast this weekend. No surprise.

JQV

Shocker:

http://bombers.ithaca.edu/News/baseball/2007/3/27/Base%20schedule%20032707.asp?path=baseball

Hmm..it's like I can see the future:

Quote from: Chairman JoseQViper on March 21, 2007, 10:18:52 AM

Quote from: John McGraw on March 17, 2007, 12:13:50 AMIthaca's northeast opener is against Oswego State on 3/27.

I just noticed this John.  I am not sure if you were going for the joke here or not but +k nevertheless.  Of course, only you, Max Power, and I probably get it...oh well.  Why do they even put a date on this game?

John McGraw

Ithaca 5 New Paltz 2

The Bombers win their home opener against the SUNYAC Hawks and improve to 6-4.

*Start of the game was delayed until 4:00 PM. I'm guessing this is because of the great March weather on the South Hill. Good thing for the extra hour of daylight, or else this one might have been cancelled like the Oswego game.
*Ithaca scored five straight runs, between the fourth and eighth innings, to overcome a 1-0 deficit.
*IC used a pitcher by committee for this game. Five Bombers pitchers were used including Nick Sottung, Ryan Mays, Adam Brown, Shane Wolf and Bryan Gardner. None pitched more than two innings and Brown was credited with the win. Brown was the pitcher of record when Ithaca took the lead.
*New Paltz went ahead, 1-0, on a RBI groundout in the second.
*Eric Maya tied the game in the fourth with a sacrifice fly. A passed ball on NP and a Jeremy Peters RBI single in the sixth plated two runs in the sixth, giving IC the lead
*Josh Smith remained out of the line-up. He hasn't played since Ithaca returned home from California. Hopefully he's OK.
*Alan Kartholl started at third base, basically in the place of Smith. Raux caught and Drew Ash didn't play either.
*Ithaca's game against Oswego has been re-scheduled to April 11th.

*Peters 3-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 R
*Wolf 2-for-5, 1 RBI
*Ferguson 2-for-4, 1 R
*Maya 1-for-2, RBI
*Sottung 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 K; Mays 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R
*Brown 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K; Wolf 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
*Gardner 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Spree

Rumor has it that Smith may have caught the injury bug, and Ash may be done for the season.  Big losses if this is the case.

John McGraw

LiveStats will be available for Ithaca's doubleheader today and tomorrow against St. John Fisher College.

Here's the link.

http://livestats.internetconsult.com/ithaca/baseball/

WICB/VIC isn't broadcasting because the 50-Hour Marathon is this weekend. Thanks to the person who reminded me of that since I definitely forgot. Great cause, be sure to check it out online if you have a chance.

www.ithaca.edu/radio/vic

John McGraw

Saturday scores from the Empire 8

St. John Fisher 5 Ithaca 4 (10)
Ithaca 3 St. John Fisher 1

RIT 4 Utica 3
RIT 4 Utica 1

Game one: RIT's Dylan Rees hurled a complete-game seven-hitter with six strikeouts and one walk. He allowed three runs. Utica's starter, Justin Snyder, didn't fare as well. He went three innings, gave up three runs on three hits and walked six. But, UC reliever Brandon Jacobsen allowed the game-winner. His error and two combined UC errors in the seventh, allowed the eventual winning run to score. Three RIT players had one hit each. John Tine socked a homer for the Pios. UC made four errors.

Game two: Chris Miller threw a complete-game four-hitter, striking out nine, as RIT swept the twin bill. He didn't walk anyone and faced only five more batters than the minimum. RIT pounded out eight hits and put up a four-spot in the second to provide the difference. Seven Tigers had at least one hit and Brian Lindeneau had two.

They all do it again today at Freeman Field in Ithaca and Murnane Field in Utica.

John McGraw

Ithaca opened up Empire 8 play with a split against the evil (ha ha, just kidding) St. John Fisher Cardinals at Freeman Field. Fisher won the opener, 5-4, in ten innings. IC triumphed in the night cap, 3-1. Though, think about it, if Ithaca has any rival in the conference, in all sports, it has to be St. John Fisher.

GAME ONE
*Mike Palermo singled home former LeMoyne outfielder Matt Bennage in the top of the tenth for the game-winning hit. Bennage had reached base to start the inning on a throwing error by IC.
*Ithaca led, 3-1, before Fisher took a 4-3 lead in the top of the seventh with three runs on three hits. The Bombers tied the game in the bottom half of the frame on a RBI single by Jeremy Peters.
*Bryan Gardner allowed the winning run. He pitched four innings in relief, gave up four hits, one run (unearned) and struck out two.
*Ryan Mays started for Ithaca and pitched into the seventh. He was relieved by Pete McDaniel. McDaniel did not record an out and faced three batters.
*Josh Smith returned to the Bombers line-up after not playing since the team returned home from California. He started at shortstop. Kurt Bednarcyk played second and Todd Czerno came off the bench. Rob Raux was the catcher and Alan Kartholl played third base. Ferguson, Maya and Peters played in the outfield.
*St. John Fisher's Mike Belmont took the win. He pitched 3.1 innings of relief, allowed one hit, walked four and struck out one.
*Ithaca stranded the bases loaded in the ninth inning. With a runner on base and two outs, Peters and Raux were intentionally walked. The ploy worked, as Shane Wolf grounded out to end the inning
*IC's three-run outburst in the third inning was keyed by a Rob Raux two-run single. He later scored on a RBI single from Eric Ferguson.
*St. John Fisher tallied 13 hits and they were solid on offense, like they have been in recent years. Five different Cardinals had two hits each.
*Jeremy Peters accounted for three of Ithaca's eight hits. No one else had more than one.
*Peters 3-for-3, 1 R, 1 RBI; Raux 1-for-2, 1 R, 2 RBI; Bednarcyk 1-for-4, 2 R; Smith 0-for-5; Wolf 0-for-5; Friedman 1-for-5
*Mays 6.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 3 K; McDaniel 0.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB; Gardner 4.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 K

GAME TWO
*Nick Sottung pitched a complete-game two-hitter and Ithaca took advantage of timely hitting to provide for a 3-1 win.
*Ithaca tallied just four hits and scored single runs in the fifth and sixth to provide for the final margin.
*Josh Smith and Rob Raux had two hits apiece for IC. Smith doubled in the fifth and scored the game-winner on a sac fly from Todd Czerno. The next inning, Smith doubled home Bryan Gardner with an insurance run. Raux singled home Kurt Bednarcyk in the first to put IC up 1-0.
*Todd Czerno started game two at second base. Bednarcyk played third and Smith was at shorstop. Raux again behind the plate. Maya, Ferguson, Peters and Samela all spent time in the outfield.
*Sottung is now 3-1 and is two wins away from becoming the 13th Bomber in history to record 20 career wins. He's only a junior.
*Fisher starter Chad King didn't fare too well. He pitched 5.2 innings, allowed three runs (all earned) on four hits with four walks and one strikeout. Though, at the plate, he had one of Fisher's two hits off Sottung. Bryan Hart had the other.
*Back-to-back walks and a RBI single by Bryan Matt provided Fisher's only run.
*Sottung 7.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 9 K (season high)
*Raux 2-for-3, 1 RBI; Smith 2-for-3, 1 R, 1 RBI; Czerno 0-for-1, RBI; Bednarcyk 0-for-1, 1 R, 2 BB

John McGraw

Sunday Scores

Ithaca 8 St. John Fisher 1
Ithaca 3 St. John Fisher 0

RIT @ Utica PPD RAIN

E8 Standings (By Points)
Ithaca 3-1, 6pts; RIT 2-0, 4pts; St. John Fisher 1-3, 2pts; Utica 0-2, 0pts

John McGraw

Ithaca 4 Oneonta 1
Oneonta 6 Ithaca 3

Caz Bombers

I see Ithaca is just 10-7 so far, looks like a rough season for the Bombers.  What does Pool B look like?  Is IC in danger of actually missing regionals for the first time in a way longer time than I can remember?

John McGraw

John McGraw

Speaking of being fine....

On Wednesday at Freeman Field

Ithaca 9 Oswego 1

That'd be a great hockey rivalry if Ithaca had a Division III team and they were good. 

John McGraw

Friday in Purchase...

Ithaca 13 Manhattanville 8
Manhattanville 10 Ithaca 7

*It was the first time that Ithaca and Manhattanville have played baseball against one another. Jeff Caufield, Manhattanville's head coach, is a graduate of SUNY Cortland.