MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

CCHoopster - I'm more of a MACF follower (living and working in Doylestown) than a MACC follower and I love what you did here. I may give it a crack with the MACF.

If you get a chance, you've got to check out DelVal this year. I believe they play in the Albright Holiday Tournament. They return their entire roster from last year and they brought in quite the mother load this year...........including a 6'9" kid from Pepperdine (not confirmed) who's father is on DelVal's Board.

I'm looking forward to catching a few MACC games that are a little closer me.

CCHoopster

Big win for Messiah vs an ODAC team in Eastern Mennonite Messiah moves to 3-0. Lycoming beats Alvernia... Still unsure how Alvernia was picked second in the MACC after what they lost to graduation last year.

CCHoopster

3 MAC Commonwealth Teams receiving votes in the latest D3Hoops Top 25 Poll.

Messiah- 8
Stevenson- 6
Widener- 1

Good recognition. Keep winning!

Jon

Hey MACC Readers,

Welcome to the 2014-15 season.  This week should go a long way toward telling if this really is a year to "just get to the postseason."

Just a few nuggets thru exactly 1/3 of the schedule (24 of 72 games):

- The Road teams last Saturday went 4-0 with three double-digit wins and a buzzer-beater.  Road teams have won seven of the last eight.
- The average margin of victory in all conference games this season is 5.88 points.
- There have been 11 games decided by three points or fewer.
- Six of the 24 games were decided by double-digits (including 3-of-4 last weekend).

There is a handy-dandy scoreboard at GoMACSports.com/scoreboard

Tomorrow's league games are all 8:00 starts:
Arcadia @ Albright
Widener @ Alvernia
Lycoming @ Lebanon Valley
Stevenson @ Hood

CCHoopster

So I have seen all of the MACC teams thus far. Helps having Alvernia, Albright and LVC so close!

Lycoming 7-3: Overwhelm teams with speed and pressure. Surprising depth. Can they last another 7 games winning at a high rate?
Stevenson 6-3: Underachieving. Right there in the discussion of who will win the league.
Arcadia 6-3:Excelling without Saltus- could be dangerous if he comes back. Mayberry is back playing. Can beat anyone.
Alvernia 5-4: Only play 6 players. Up and down type team. Usually play well in the second half.
Hood 5-4: Interesting team. Play really hard and over achieve a little. Cook is a really skilled player. Could see this team come up short more so than not the rest of the way.
LVC 4-5: Played well early. Have dropped four straight. May be on their way out of contention.
Messiah 3-6: Thought this team could be hosting a playoff game. See them opposite of Hood. Could win more than they lose the rest of the way. Shocked they are 3-6
Albright 2-6: Young. Lack any inside presence. Need to shoot it well to beat people. Don't look as though they have good on court chemistry (bc of youth). Building for the future is going well.
Widener: Picked to finish 2nd in the conference preseason. Not really sure whats going on in Chester.

Wednesday 1-28 games

Lycoming @ Messiah- Gut tells me the Falcons-they have to win one at home eventually, right? 78-69 Falcons
LVC @ Hood- LVC gets one on the road. Good match up for the Dutchmen. 66-59 LVC
Widener @ Albright- Widener can't lose to 8 in row. No way. Their paint presence at both ends will be too much for the Lions. 82-70 Pride.
Arcadia @Alvernia- No idea. I am going to guess Alvernia 62-58.

Not sure if there can be but there may be need to be a play in game for the fifth spot.

CCHoopster

I wasn't too good with my last picks ???

Picks for 2/4- 2 upsets (Messiah and Widener)

Messiah 74 @ Alvernia 69- Falcons are playing well. The Vern won the first meeting at Messiah so I'll take a split on the season. I'm hoping for a tight playoff race. Would certainly help make it interesting so I'll take Messiah with the big w. Still say watch this team down the stretch.

Stevenson 88 vs Albright 71- Stevenson is simply the more experienced and better team. Could be close for a while.

Arcadia 60 vs LVC 57- Home team gets the win. Agnew can only do some much.

Lycoming 82 @ Widener 74- Widener is beyond struggling.

*Hood Bye. Need it after their last game. They were down 40 at one point I think....

CCHoopster

Posting to myself ;D

3-1 last week. This is another big weekend for the MACC. Some moving and shaking occurred after Wednesday and I expect some more this time tomorrow.  Lyco and Stevenson stay at 1st and 2nd respectively with wins. Arcadia moves from 4th to 3rd with a win over LVC and with Messiahs win over Alvernia. Messiah moves from 8th to 6th. .

Lycoming   10-2   Won 4
Stevenson 8-3   Won 6
Arcadia   7-5   Won 1
Alvernia   6-5   Lost 1
Hood   5-6   Lost 3
Messiah   5-7   Won 2
LVC          5-7   Lost 2
Albright   4-7   Lost 1
Widener   2-10   Lost 10

Picks for 2/7 games:

Alvernia 68 @ Hood 62- Two teams that need to get back on track. The Vern had a tough loss at home Wednesday to an improved Messiah team (have won 3 of 4). Hood is the owner of a 3 game losing streak. Deyo, Clark and Cooper will be too much.

Lycoming 81 @ Albright 70 Albright is a young team... They have had their share of growing pains but the future looks really bright. A win here for the lions would help them keep pace for the 5th seed; an overpopulated position to be in. Lyco can/will move one game closer to locking up the #1 overall seed. They would have to lose all three to games to finish 2nd.

Widener 79 @ LVC 70- Widener has dropped 10 in a row. It's been a long time since the Pride have dropped 10 in a row. They are too good on paper to not win a game so I am going to pick them until they do.

Messiah 78 vs Stevenson 73- Check out the box scores from the last three times these teams have played each other. Double OT, OT, last seconds finishes.... Messiahs working on making something of this season when before it looked bleak. Stevenson is trying to keep a home game for the playoffs with the 2 seed. This one will be good. 

Predicted standings

Lycoming 11-2
Stevenson 8-4
Alvernia 7-5
Arcadia 7-5
Messiah 6-7
Hood 5-7
LVC 5-8
Albright 4-8
Widener 3-10

Warren Thompson

Given Widener's history, it's difficult to accept that they've now lost eleven in a row.

bman

Quote from: Warren Thompson on February 08, 2015, 05:40:16 PM
Given Widener's history, it's difficult to accept that they've now lost eleven in a row.

Somewhere C Allen Rowe is chuckling....

Warren Thompson

Quote from: bman on February 09, 2015, 04:06:30 PM

Somewhere C. Allen Rowe is chuckling....

I'm old enough to remember him. I'm also old enough to remember Widener before it was Widener, i.e., before the Widener bucks came rolling into Chester: Pennsylvania Military College and, to retain the initials, Penn-Morton College. In whatever manifestation back then, PMC/P-MC had some pretty good basketball teams. (When did Rowe begin as head coach?)

ronk

Quote from: Warren Thompson on February 09, 2015, 04:44:50 PM

I'm old enough to remember him. I'm also old enough to remember Widener before it was Widener, i.e., before the Widener bucks came rolling into Chester: Pennsylvania Military College and, to retain the initials, Penn-Morton College. In whatever manifestation back then, PMC/P-MC had some pretty good basketball teams. (When did Rowe begin as head coach?)

Warren: 1965   I remember PMC and Coach Rowe and 3rd all-time scorer Dennis James but by then they were Widener and Scranton played them in 3 consecutive NCAA tourneys('75-7) and both championship years('76 & '83). The '83 game was the toughest that year taking 3 OTs. Here's a link to Rowe's non-rehiring:

http://articles.philly.com/1998-11-19/sports/25731326_1_widener-alan-rowe-coaching

Also remember when the MAC chat board members got together in Annville, probably 15 years ago; I missed that gathering(must have been bad weather) but those were the good old days for chatting with LVC, Scranton, and Wilkes jawing with each other.

bman

Quote from: ronk on February 09, 2015, 06:55:02 PM

Warren: 1965   I remember PMC and Coach Rowe and 3rd all-time scorer Dennis James but by then they were Widener and Scranton played them in 3 consecutive NCAA tourneys('75-7) and both championship years('76 & '83). The '83 game was the toughest that year taking 3 OTs. Here's a link to Rowe's non-rehiring:

http://articles.philly.com/1998-11-19/sports/25731326_1_widener-alan-rowe-coaching

Also remember when the MAC chat board members got together in Annville, probably 15 years ago; I missed that gathering(must have been bad weather) but those were the good old days for chatting with LVC, Scranton, and Wilkes jawing with each other.

While I wasn't a basketball player, I had coach Rowe for Calculus, and was friends with several members of the bball team.  He was an old school hard nosed man, and it took effort to take his classes and play for him. I remember him handing an exam back to someone in our class (after they had missed the previous class in which everyone else received our exams) adding "I also included an application to Burger King"...classic...

I had heard he had left on bad terms, but that article really surprises me...

Pat Coleman

I don't think I made the first Pizza Summit, but I made it to the second, which was also in Annville. Good times! Paging Warren Thompson!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 10, 2015, 11:21:01 AM

I don't think I made the first Pizza Summit, but I made it to the second, which was also in Annville. Good times! Paging Warren Thompson!

I am pretty sure I came to this as well! I remember Pat calling me a day or so prior and wondering if I wanted to go to something similar to this. It was back in my "early" days, so I didn't understand or appreciate the goings on in the division as much... but I certainly know about LVC, Scranton, and Wilkes! LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

I believe Jared was there, so you may have been there too. Don't remember!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.