MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

givengo

What has happened to Cody Kiefer of Gettysburg?  Checked the game stats to see how he's doing and it appears he hasn't played yet.

Reserved Seat

Solid game by F&M.  Great defense and adequate offense.  Brandon Federici continues to show outstanding offensive skills.  Wright played a solid game coming off the bench to play 27 minutes with great defense and contributing 10 points to the offense.  Morgan Lee and Cedric Mounce both played strong under the basket.
The defense kept McDaniel from getting very many uncontested shots.  Hunter Eggers should be a great addition to the team once he gets into the flow.
Good win for the Diplomats.

D.B. Cooper

Wow, what a interesting unpredictable round of CC play. Muhlenberg losing to Haverford in slight surprise, the young F&M team upsetting JHU in Charm City and G-burg battling their way to a startling victory at Carlisle (Could Devils have been looking ahead to Cabrini, I hope not). The CC is mid-side up as less regarded pre-season teams Dips & Bullets are alone in 1st place. I expect there will be more losses than normal to the top CC teams by regular seasons end.

In F&M - JHU scrum a very physical and at times ugly looking contest. Of note from F&M side Jared Wright seemed to play an excellent game and although fiercely guarded at times Federici was a huge key to the victory, especially the late 3 pointer when finally open to secure a 7 point lead to carry team home to a win in tough place against Dips nemesis from last season.

Reserved Seat

Very physical and defensive battle in Baltimore.  Foul shooting was again a thorn in F&M's side(15/30).  Hopkins was outstanding on the line.  (15/17)  Moune and Lee were doubled team constantly under the basket, and F&M was having trouble lobbing the ball into the big men due to height advantage of Hopkins.  Federici and Hammer were getting very few easy looks.  Federici seemed a little out of sort--may have been a cold or the heat in the building.  The game was very physical and the refs weren't calling some obvious fouls and then would call a touch foul. 

Reserved Seat

Extremely physical game at Elizabethtown.  It seemed that E-town felt the only way they had a chance was to push the F&M players around.  Eckert was so physical that Moune was taking a beating.  When the refs finally called a foul on Eckert in the second half the F&M applauded the call.  Morgan Lee played a strong game except from the foul line where he struggled.  Figuerla provide outstanding defense and offense off the bench.  Despite an off night shooting, Federici still scored 20 points.
F&M had 25 assists and 14 steals.  Hines provided relief for Moune so he could get a break from the shoving.  Bodnar for E-town displayed an outstanding effort for #-town.  Tate hit 3 of 4 threes.

Reserved Seat

Sloppy passing night by F&M.  Too many telegraphed passes and too many lobs which weren't lobbed enough.  Lostraccco and Mekongo were extremely physical which kept Moune and Lee at bay.  Moune was beat up and exhausted by the end of the game.  F&M still had too much for the young Bears.  Hunter Eggers had a good offensive night.  F&M kept Draper from getting off any good shots, and Ursinus kept Federici from getting many open looks.  F&M will have to step up the intensity to keep winning.

Reserved Seat

Ursinus use to be a rowdy place to go.  Not last night.  Where are all the hooligans??

Gabriel

Reserved,

It's all about winning and the Bears are not doing that this year.  The Hooligans will return when the Bears become competitive.  The Bears are offensively challenged to say the least but are improving each game.  They lack a "go to" offensive player as yet.  They are playing much better team defense.  Started the year with 13 players and now down to 10 with no seniors, 1 junior, 3 sophomores and 6 freshmen.  All 10 play in most games.  Unfortunately, they lost one player with a a torn ACL, one to academics and one for whatever reason.

This group has really good chemistry and should be good in a year or two if they stick together and do the right things.  You will see a much improved team in February but it is unlikely they will make the playoffs.

Reserved Seat

F&M students are consistently.  They just don't show up, win or lose. :)  F&M is young, also: 1 senior, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 7 freshmen.  They have been developing quickly.  Last night was probably there worst performance of the season, which I attribute to their inexperience.

HoopGuru

Through the first few weeks of the season, I think that the Centennial is very down this year.  A bunch of Mediocre teams to say the least and wouldnt surprise me if whoever comes out on top ends up having more than a handful of losses this year.  Whoever winds up winning the conference I am guessing will be the only team that makes it into the tournament and will be one and done. 

"Separation is in the preparation"

Reserved Seat

Predictions were the same last year.  :)

Reserved Seat

Dickinson is still ranked in the top 10, and Hopkins has a lot back from a team that made the tournament last year.

HoopGuru

The only rankings I have seen have them at #12 (D3Hoops), which is being very generous after a very bad loss to a Gettysburg team that might make the playoffs this year and let's face it, those rankings are based heavily on how teams finished last year.  I think Cabrini is similar in being ranked b/c of last season, as they do not play any defense.  We will see as the season plays out but I do not see an elite team this year and the teams that will compete to host are vulnerable in quite a bit of areas.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I think the voters are basing less on last year then you think... as a voter I can tell you... this year is a cluster. I think voters are trying to figure teams out more then basing stuff on last year at this point.

And per Cabrini - as long as you have Aaron Walton-Moss on your team... you are probably a Top 25 team. And they do play defense... saw them play quite a bit of it at the Hoopsville Classic, actually.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

HoopGuru

I would have to disagree with you on a couple points.  I respect that you are a voter, but with it being a few weeks in I would highly doubt that voters are taking the time to actually watch the teams and if you would back to initial rankings, most of them are going to look at teams that qualified for the tournament and rank a lot based on that and how they performed in the tourny.  Then, about two weeks or so after the new year, I think you will get a much better indication teams that should legitimately be in top 25.

Maybe in those 2 games they played defense; but allowing teams to shoot 43%, giving up close to 80ppg, and allowing opponents a positive asst/to ratio does not bode well.  They will need those numbers to come down, which I am guessing in their conference probably will based on teams they will be playing