FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFMichigan

Quote from: formerd3db on May 25, 2020, 04:11:25 PM
Not a good sign...the University of Michigan president announced that IF they decide on not having on-campus students this fall, there will be NO football. I'd that happens, I believe that will be the death bell ring for MIAA, DII and NAIA football in Michigan this year as well. No time frame for decision was given, however, they'll have to decide by July I believe.

This makes sense - "putting the horse before the cart". The question is, good doctor, where does having the students back "on campus" but taking a large amount of classes online put sports?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: RFMichigan on May 25, 2020, 09:49:37 PM
Quote from: formerd3db on May 25, 2020, 04:11:25 PM
Not a good sign...the University of Michigan president announced that IF they decide on not having on-campus students this fall, there will be NO football. I'd that happens, I believe that will be the death bell ring for MIAA, DII and NAIA football in Michigan this year as well. No time frame for decision was given, however, they'll have to decide by July I believe.

This makes sense - "putting the horse before the cart". The question is, good doctor, where does having the students back "on campus" but taking a large amount of classes online put sports?

I think I recall reading that sports couldn't be played if students are not on campus, because having only athletes on campus would be treating them differently and violate amateurism rules.  But IF students in general are on campus, I can't see why how the classes are held (in person on online) would be relevant.  (Of course, if classes are ONLY online, why crowd students on to campus?  But apparently some schools are planning 'hybrid' learning - much online, but also once a week or so in person.)

formerd3db

RFMichigan and Mr. Ypsi:

Good questions and responses, respectively. See my reply to yours and other comments by some of our colleagues over on the OAC board.

Hope you both had an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend, as much as any of us could do under the circumstances.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Flying Dutchman56

A couple of questions I thought of randomly and thought I'd ask😃

1.  Does the MIAA still sponsor JV football?

2.  Do other conferences in D3 have JV football currently or did they but no longer, or never had?

Stay healthy everyone!😃
Hope College Football - A Tradition of Excellence.
MIAA Champions 1934, 1951, 1953, 1958, 1963, 1973, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2019.

sac

The MIAA is going to play mostly conference games for Fall sports.

https://www.miaa.org/miaaheadlines/MIAA_Preparing_For_Fall_Competition?fbclid=IwAR2ehHdGhTVs47rarg6AJEkYYCmNgsKOX-qfiznAhh9RjQTDRPZ0GYLPGEw

This would seem to cancel the first two weeks of non-conference football games.  For Hope that's a trip to Anderson and a home date with Monmouth.

RFMichigan

Quote from: sac on July 01, 2020, 12:58:26 AM

https://www.miaa.org/miaaheadlines/MIAA_Preparing_For_Fall_Competition?fbclid=IwAR2ehHdGhTVs47rarg6AJEkYYCmNgsKOX-qfiznAhh9RjQTDRPZ0GYLPGEw

This would seem to cancel the first two weeks of non-conference football games.  For Hope that's a trip to Anderson and a home date with Monmouth.

Wouldn't the MIAA-NACC Challenge games scheduled for the third week of non-conference games also be cancelled?

sac

Quote from: RFMichigan on July 01, 2020, 08:12:06 AM

Wouldn't the MIAA-NACC Challenge games scheduled for the third week of non-conference games also be cancelled?

I haven't seen anything specific, but I'm kind of going under the assumption non-conference football games aren't going to happen.  The Sept 19 start date is probably going to cancel the first two weeks of the season.

formerd3db

Quote from: sac on July 01, 2020, 11:10:31 AM
Quote from: RFMichigan on July 01, 2020, 08:12:06 AM

I haven't seen anything specific, but I'm kind of going under the assumption non-conference football games aren't going to happen.  The Sept 19 start date is probably going to cancel the first two weeks of the season.

At the very least, the first games because the tentative plan for coronaviris safety protocols in return to full team practices encompasses a five week period. As per the league's announcement after last week's President's Council meeting with the Commissioner and HCs, likely all non-conference games will be canceled. However, there has not been any official announcement from the individual colleges as yet regarding
"definitive" cancelation of those games and I know (from my sources🤫) that at least one of the schools was pushing hard for keeping their full 10 game regular season. 

As you can ascertain from the announcement, each school is working on their own specific policy within the overall general recommended safety and healrh/medical guidelines, and that might possibly provide the "out window" for a school to do what they want with regard o playing more games than the others provided, of course, the PC and Commissioner would allow that choice. Personally, I don't see that happening from what I know,. However, in reality, who knows?  This is an era when anything can happen.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Flying Dutch Fan

MIAA released fall sports schedules yesterday.  Here is the link to the FB schedule.  Essentially everyone is playing 9 games, all against MIAA opponents with 2 "don't count in the league standings " games to start.  Looks like they took the conference schedule, and added a second meeting to start the season with the last 2 teams in the conference "do count" games.  For example, Hope plays Albion and Trine the last 2 weeks, so they get to play them both the first two weeks.  Home & away kind of thing.  Only Kazoo & Finlandia are skipping their first "doesn't count" matchup and playing 8 total games. 

https://www.miaa.org/general/2019-20/releases/2020_FB_Schedule_Approved.pdf
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

formerd3db

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on July 07, 2020, 01:46:03 PM
MIAA released fall sports schedules yesterday.  Here is the link to the FB schedule.  Essentially everyone is playing 9 games, all against MIAA opponents with 2 "don't count in the league standings " games to start.  Looks like they took the conference schedule, and added a second meeting to start the season with the last 2 teams in the conference "do count" games.  For example, Hope plays Albion and Trine the last 2 weeks, so they get to play them both the first two weeks.  Home & away kind of thing.  Only Kazoo & Finlandia are skipping their first "doesn't count" matchup and playing 8 total games. 

This was posted later yesterday over on the CCIW board. We knew the announcement was expected early this week after the league Council meeting was held a grw days ago. There were/are some additional "reasons" for this format being decided on i.e. aside from the usual ones concerning the longer distance/out of state non-conference games being canceled. Regardimg the latter, this is not surprising since some of the conferences are canceling the non-conference games and I suspect that most of them will do that.

BTW, there are reports, which you probably have been aware of as well, that the Ivy League will postpone football and have that season in the spring next year. While that might work for the Ivy League (which they apparently think it can), I don't believe that would be feasible for the MIAA or most DIII schools even if they wanted to seriously consider it.

sac

MIAA released its football schedules this afternoon.   First two weeks are games vs conference opponents but will not count for league standings, essentially "non-conference games".  Everyone will play two teams twice except Kalamazoo and Finlandia who will play only once.

formerd3db

As many of our colleague DIII conferences are now canceling the fall season, does anyone want to venture a guess as to how long will it be before our league does the same? I will be extremely surprised if our MIAA chooses to continue on as much as I desire to see football played this fall. I am now bevoming perplexed i.e. uncertain.

DBQ1965

Quote from: formerd3db on July 22, 2020, 08:20:02 PM
As many of our colleague DIII conferences are now canceling the fall season, does anyone want to venture a guess as to how long will it be before our league does the same? I will be extremely surprised if our MIAA chooses to continue on as much as I desire to see football played this fall. I am now bevoming perplexed i.e. uncertain.

I am resigned to the inevitability there will be little if any D3 football this Fall.  I  was looking to watching the Central College Dutch make their foray into the MIAA.  Oh well ... wait 'til next year.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

sac

Once the NCAA announces the cancellation or postponement of Fall Championships there really will be no reason to continue with Fall athletics.

I hope it isn't about collecting tuition, but its about collecting tuition, ya know. :-\

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sac on July 24, 2020, 04:36:45 PM
Once the NCAA announces the cancellation or postponement of Fall Championships there really will be no reason to continue with Fall athletics.

I hope it isn't about collecting tuition, but its about collecting tuition, ya know. :-\

At some schools it surely is.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.