FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumbercat

Bowdoin announcement is imminent......everybody is tight lipped in Brunswick.....don't think it's been an easy process for Polar Bear Cub AD Ryan with admissions influence in the process.

My suggestion to the Black and White is find someone named Walsh or Soule and give him the job.

Gotta think JBW may well be in the hunt for OL job at Harvard. Hoping he lands on his feet because they nailed the guy in Brunswick.

The usually outspoken Bowdoin Orient with their strong AFCU bias has been quiet on the Wells firing.....unusual.

quicksilver

The Bowdoin Orient is on an extended break due to the college being on break. It did publish news of the Wells firing on Nov. 30 but there was only one other issue after that date so not much of an opportunity to dig into the firing. It will not resume publication until Jan. 25 at which time we will likely hear more . . . .

polbear73

Lumbercat, I agree that Wells deserved to finish out his contract.  Pretty sure that this was not Ryan's choice and that the cliche "money talks" applies here.

There is a Soule on the search committe, but no relation as far as I know. 

nescac1

St. John's Prep DE Charlie Giunta and LB Colton Tangney both commit to Williams.  The full list of Eph commitments that I have seen announced so far:

Charlie Giunta, 6'4 215 DE (St. John's Prep)
Colton Tangney, LB (St John's Prep)
Terry Zapf, 6'6 260 OL (New Trier, IL)
Braden O'Connell, 5'11 185 QB/ATH (Lincoln-Sudberry)
Drew Michalik, 5'10 185 DB (Marietta, GA)
John Freeman, 6'5 280 OL (BC High)
Brian Anderson, 5'11 160 WR/DB (Pine Crest, FL)
Andrew Word, 6'0 180 WR/DB (Evansville, IN)
Michael McCutcheon, 6'1 195 LB (Duxbury H.S.)
Paul Harshbarger, 5'10 185 RB (Schulerville, NY)

Hawk196

nescac1 any updates on the Tufts recruiting class?

lumbercat

Quote from: quicksilver on January 10, 2019, 01:35:19 AM
The Bowdoin Orient is on an extended break due to the college being on break. It did publish news of the Wells firing on Nov. 30 but there was only one other issue after that date so not much of an opportunity to dig into the firing. It will not resume publication until Jan. 25 at which time we will likely hear more . . . .

The current coaching search is being handled differently than the process used in hiring JBW. In that process the Football captains were directly involved in the process and had input on the coaching selection. The powers that be nixed that approach this time. Regardless if it was Ryan or others who changed the process if find it telling. I think Ryan may have less autonomy this time after the perceived failure of the Wells hiring which took place on his watch.

polbear73

No alumni are in the loop this time, either, LC.  Just the Search Committee as previously revealed. 

lumbercat

PB 73
No question, the single Football person on the committee seems to be Daddy Warbucks. Minimized 'Football Influence' in the decision this time around.
The result will be interesting to see.

Looks like admissions and administration have been injected more significantly in the process following the friction with admissions that JB experienced in the recruiting process. Some scar tissue developed there, evidently the rumored infighting between Wells and admissions was real and may have been the key factor in buying JB out.

amh63

It's been a long time since there has been a HFC hire at Amherst.  After DARP, there were a number of changes and done quickly...different times acknowledged here. 
The recent hires/changes in the CBB have been both educational and revealing to me.  Unlike the changes at Williams and Wesleyan and even Tufts.   Is it the changing times and/or the institutions?

OldCardinal

More pressure to win everywhere than ever before.  Tufts showed exceptional patience with Civetti and it paid off in the end.  Wesleyan hired Whelan with a promise of becoming AD.  Bates fired long time coach after winning CBB several years in a row.  That wasn't good enough.  I wish the new coach the best, I really do, but he's got a tough hill to climb.  The Colby hire was the result of good fortune - right place at right time - and they got a great coach with tons of head coaching and recruiting experience .  That will only make things tougher for Bowdoin and Bates. 

Jonny Utah

Quote from: OldCardinal on January 10, 2019, 02:04:01 PM
More pressure to win everywhere than ever before.  Tufts showed exceptional patience with Civetti and it paid off in the end.  Wesleyan hired Whelan with a promise of becoming AD.  Bates fired long time coach after winning CBB several years in a row.  That wasn't good enough.  I wish the new coach the best, I really do, but he's got a tough hill to climb.  The Colby hire was the result of good fortune - right place at right time - and they got a great coach with tons of head coaching and recruiting experience .  That will only make things tougher for Bowdoin and Bates.

I think unless there is some real obvious sign that the coach isn't working out (off the field issues), a D3 coach should get 5 years to try to build something. 

lumbercat

Old Card
Couldn't agree more and I think the Colby Cosgrove coup really turns up the heat on the Bowdoin search.

NED3Guy

I agree with most of what you said here. I do think that how "win" is defined by each school, and their donors / alums, makes all the difference. If Colby goes 3-6 every year, and never loses to a Maine School; they probably name something after Cosgrove. I believe the same could be said for any of the Maine schools.

Tufts was patient with Coach Civ because they knew it would take time to reach the place they expected to be. Bowdoin probably had a smaller goal in mind when they hired JB. A goal that many assumed would be attainable in short time. In my opinion, Bowdoin pulled the quick trigger on JBW not so much because of the overall W/L record, but because of the 2-6 he went against the Maine schools. Had he been 2-7, 2-7, 2-7, 2-7; but won the CBB games each year; I would think he's still employed. 

So yes, there is more pressure to win than ever before; but I think that pressure is dependent upon what the school sees as "winning". If Bowdoin is hiring somebody this month with an expectation that they're beating Trinity, Amherst and Tufts within four years; we should all plan on having these same talks in the winter of 2023.

OldCardinal

Well said NED3Guy.  I think problems often arise when donor/alums have different expectations than the school administrators.  While I agree that Colby admins would be very happy winning the CBB every year, I'm not sure 3-6 will satisfy some subset of alum/donors.  Although Cosgrove's rep is so strong that he would likely be fine.  I think the fact that Tufts, Wesleyan and Middlebury have really improved has made the Maine challenge even tougher.  Historically, those games used to be more winnable than they seem to be now.  I feel like the middle of the league has kind of disappeared - or at least gotten much closer to the top than the bottom. IMHO

amh63

I too will post "well Said"....to both NED3Guy and  Old Cardinal.   Plus k to both of you.  Good thoughts to ponder until the Spring when we all will learn about the new recruits to enter.....Class of'22.