FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oline89

Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 09, 2019, 02:07:30 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on April 09, 2019, 01:58:56 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 09, 2019, 01:39:39 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on April 09, 2019, 01:08:51 PM
The banter over on the MIAC website regarding the potential ouster of St Thomas has made for really interesting football debate the past few days.  The LL does have some pretty significant disparities in enrollment, and endowments, but is not in any way as lopsided as the MIAC (or the Centennial, for that matter), in regards to athletic success.  Opinions?

I don't get what the issue is in the MIAC.  It is clear on my end that enrollment or endowment doesn't really have any impact on athletic success, but the funding for athletics might have an impact.  The LL is different in a sense that half the league as d1 programs that must play a factor in athletic budgeting or focus.  It isn't like St. Thomas can recruit nationally, and the small liberal arts schools in that league are similar to Williams and MIddlebury (top d3 athletic programs) in that they can recruit nationally.

It seems to me that the "have nots" in the MIAC have no interest in an arms race with St Thomas.  It has to be miserable for all involved (players, coaches, alumni) to accept that a 60+ point beat down 3-4 times a season is standard.  But the reaction to kick the dominant team out is a slippery slope.  It seems the move made by former members of the LL to join a less competitive conference, rather than engage in a losing battle is a better choice.

Yea but is football the only issue?  I pointed out on that MIAC board that although St. Thomas is ranked high in the d3 "sears cup" standings, the other academic/small schools are pretty highly ranked as well.

I was looking at your post about the d3 'sears' cup.  How accurately does this really assess overall athletic success?  I imagine schools that don't offer a full array of sports (baseball/track in the north or hockey in the south) automatically miss out on potential points.  The more sports a school offers (probably directly related to the endowment and enrollment), the higher their score?  I guess I am asking the quantity vs quality question.

Ice Bear

Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 10, 2019, 10:20:00 AM
Quote from: ITH radio on April 08, 2019, 12:54:31 PM
We have some news re IC we plan to "break" via our April pod which we recorded over the wkd and a little later today. Hopefully it'll be "in the can" and ready for release mid-week.

It is midweek.  Roll it out!

dlip seconds this...it is mid-****ing-week  ;D!
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Oline89 on April 10, 2019, 10:20:12 AM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 09, 2019, 02:07:30 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on April 09, 2019, 01:58:56 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 09, 2019, 01:39:39 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on April 09, 2019, 01:08:51 PM
The banter over on the MIAC website regarding the potential ouster of St Thomas has made for really interesting football debate the past few days.  The LL does have some pretty significant disparities in enrollment, and endowments, but is not in any way as lopsided as the MIAC (or the Centennial, for that matter), in regards to athletic success.  Opinions?

I don't get what the issue is in the MIAC.  It is clear on my end that enrollment or endowment doesn't really have any impact on athletic success, but the funding for athletics might have an impact.  The LL is different in a sense that half the league as d1 programs that must play a factor in athletic budgeting or focus.  It isn't like St. Thomas can recruit nationally, and the small liberal arts schools in that league are similar to Williams and MIddlebury (top d3 athletic programs) in that they can recruit nationally.

It seems to me that the "have nots" in the MIAC have no interest in an arms race with St Thomas.  It has to be miserable for all involved (players, coaches, alumni) to accept that a 60+ point beat down 3-4 times a season is standard.  But the reaction to kick the dominant team out is a slippery slope.  It seems the move made by former members of the LL to join a less competitive conference, rather than engage in a losing battle is a better choice.

Yea but is football the only issue?  I pointed out on that MIAC board that although St. Thomas is ranked high in the d3 "sears cup" standings, the other academic/small schools are pretty highly ranked as well.

I was looking at your post about the d3 'sears' cup.  How accurately does this really assess overall athletic success?  I imagine schools that don't offer a full array of sports (baseball/track in the north or hockey in the south) automatically miss out on potential points.  The more sports a school offers (probably directly related to the endowment and enrollment), the higher their score?  I guess I am asking the quantity vs quality question.

Yea I believe there is a cap on the amount of sports they count for these (18 in d3 I believe).  Not 100% sure how those points/teams are determined. 

Bombers798891

Quote from: Oline89 on April 10, 2019, 10:20:12 AM

There are certainly issues with the Sears Cup. One being of course, that yes, schools that have bigger athletic programs have more chances to earn points. You're capped at 9 for men and 9 for women, but still, some schools don't have that many

1. The dividing line for earning points is qualifying for the NCAAs. So there's no difference between a football team that goes 9-1, but misses out on the playoffs, and one that goes 0-10. This also is advantageous to you if you're in a weaker conference. Ithaca, for example, had won 12 straight E8 titles in women's tennis, but the LL is a much tougher conference, so they haven't qualified yet out of there.

2. There are certain sports that are more important than others. You *have* to count basketball and soccer now. Also, if you have one great distance runner (like IC did last year) they can earn you points in three sports (XC, Indoor and Outdoor track).

It is what it is. There's probably no system that we could create that would accurately and fairly assess the wide swath of programs we have in D-III

ITH radio

Quote from: Dutch Boy on April 10, 2019, 10:34:08 AM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 10, 2019, 10:20:00 AM
Quote from: ITH radio on April 08, 2019, 12:54:31 PM
We have some news re IC we plan to "break" via our April pod which we recorded over the wkd and a little later today. Hopefully it'll be "in the can" and ready for release mid-week.

It is midweek.  Roll it out!

dlip seconds this...it is mid-****ing-week  ;D!

Uploading now.....
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

ITH radio

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Jonny Utah

Quote from: ITH radio on April 10, 2019, 07:21:16 PM
https://www.facebook.com/D3Huddle/videos/325219891519217?sfns=mo

Thanks guys, so it's looks like the rumor is Joe G. Transferring to Ithaca.  You guys talked about maybe him playing another position, but I'm guessing if he does transfer, he is the starting QB for the bombers next year.  Nabi appeared to have been benched on a few occasions last year, and I'm guessing Joe G is looking to be in an offense designed by a former Ivy League QB coach (swanstrom).

Should be interesting that's for sure.

Caz Bombers

Germinerio huckin' the egg to Gladney and Vito? ooooooooweeeee daddy like

jmcozenlaw

School #3 for Joey G.........................at this level of play. I don't know what he's chasing, but best of luck to him. A desk job will be quite boring after all of this "excitement". I've heard from a few folks up at Brockport that they are glad to see him go after the playoff attitude last year.

Oline89

At first I thought, huge upgrade for Ithaca.  Now, I am a bit more reserved.  Unless he transferred for spring semester, there is no way he is allowed to participate in Spring ball.  Summer camp is only 2 weeks.  Is that enough time to learn a new system?  Obviously, he is a talented kid, but this move (as a senior with no more years of eligibility) is a little confusing.  I am sure Nabi, will play it like the smart, respectable kid he seems to be.....but, how does this affect him (and the rest of the team) for the rest of this year and next?

@d3jason

Maybe he's just graduating and looking for a place to play in grad school.

What was the "playoff attitude?"

"A lot of people are saying..... "  ::)

RolandWest

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on April 11, 2019, 09:02:45 AM
School #3 for Joey G.........................at this level of play. I don't know what he's chasing, but best of luck to him. A desk job will be quite boring after all of this "excitement". I've heard from a few folks up at Brockport that they are glad to see him go after the playoff attitude last year.

I have a sibling on the team and haven't heard anything about a "playoff attitude".  He certainly played poorly against RPI and has always had a fiery demeanor but based on what I've heard nothing alarming happened after that lost.  Obviously that isn't gospel so if you've got more concrete evidence than vague platitudes.  Do you have more specifics on the "playoff attitude?"

As for Ithaca this is a huge get.  While Nabi has played well at times, he was also benched during portions of games last year.  Whether that was injury related, performance based or both I can't say.  Joe will certainly have to earn the position. That said, if the offense at Ithaca is too complex for a two time conference player of the year (in a better conference than the LL) where he can't pick it up that's on the coaching staff on the South Hill.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 10, 2019, 09:22:06 PM

Nabi appeared to have been benched on a few occasions last year

I do not think this was the case at all. He was battling injuries

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bombers798891 on April 11, 2019, 10:58:41 AM

Ah, for whatever reason it seemed to me that he wasn't playing at certain times for reasons other than injuries.  I have nothing to base that on though so I'm sorry for that.

As for Joe G. learning the offense, I think the basic principals of the spread probably apply to both programs, especially the technique stuff.  From the outside, this doesn't happen often which makes it appear somewhat odd, but like d3jason said, maybe he is just looking to go to grad school at a different place and then maybe even GA or something? 

It would be tough for Nabi though if Joe G. is playing QB.  But this era in football seems to be a play where you can play and win kind of system. 

RolandWest

Quote from: Bombers798891 on April 11, 2019, 10:58:41 AM

Like I said, I didn't have anything definitive on why we saw #17 at QB for Ithaca in a few different situations last year.  Hopefully he is fully healthy heading into preseason.  I eagerly await the boots on the ground intel from posters her about Joe G's "playoff attitude."  I feel like it would have to be something really untenable for a majority of Brockport players/coaches to want him gone.