FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unionpalooza

Quote from: Oline89 on April 11, 2019, 09:31:49 AM
At first I thought, huge upgrade for Ithaca.  Now, I am a bit more reserved.  Unless he transferred for spring semester, there is no way he is allowed to participate in Spring ball.  Summer camp is only 2 weeks.  Is that enough time to learn a new system?  Obviously, he is a talented kid, but this move (as a senior with no more years of eligibility) is a little confusing.  I am sure Nabi, will play it like the smart, respectable kid he seems to be.....but, how does this affect him (and the rest of the team) for the rest of this year and next?

Doesn't he have sit another year?  I know there's the D1_D2/D3 exemption and the graduate transfer exemption, but didn't think there was one for D3-D3.  Also, as a second time transfer, I assume more restrictions apply.

At any rate, and I'm sure I'm an outlier, this doesn't strike me as an upgrade.  Ithaca's on the upswing, Nabi is plenty good, and totally unclear how much of Joe G's success, vs. his own, plus all the character issues.  And, if you ask the RPI defense, I'd bet they view Nabi as the superior player.

Pat Coleman

There is no D-III rule as long as someone is eligible at the school they are transferring from.

Some conferences have rules about transferring from one conference school to another, but that isn't germane here.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

unionpalooza

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 11, 2019, 12:53:19 PM
There is no D-III rule as long as someone is eligible at the school they are transferring from.

Some conferences have rules about transferring from one conference school to another, but that isn't germane here.

Thanks for the clarification.

RolandWest

Quote from: unionpalooza on April 11, 2019, 12:52:10 PM
At first I thought, huge upgrade for Ithaca.  Now, I am a bit more reserved.  Unless he transferred for spring semester, there is no way he is allowed to participate in Spring ball.  Summer camp is only 2 weeks.  Is that enough time to learn a new system?  Obviously, he is a talented kid, but this move (as a senior with no more years of eligibility) is a little confusing.  I am sure Nabi, will play it like the smart, respectable kid he seems to be.....but, how does this affect him (and the rest of the team) for the rest of this year and next?

Doesn't he have sit another year?  I know there's the D1_D2/D3 exemption and the graduate transfer exemption, but didn't think there was one for D3-D3.  Also, as a second time transfer, I assume more restrictions apply.

At any rate, and I'm sure I'm an outlier, this doesn't strike me as an upgrade.  Ithaca's on the upswing, Nabi is plenty good, and totally unclear how much of Joe G's success, vs. his own, plus all the character issues.  And, if you ask the RPI defense, I'd bet they view Nabi as the superior player.

There's no getting around Joe G played about as poorly as you could've against RPI.  However, using a one game sample size to determine player quality is obviously a little disingenuous.  I'm also unsure how the RPI defense would appropriately rate Nabi seeing that he did not play against RPI last year.  Going by career statistics it isn't particularly close, even going on a per game basis to account for Joe playing three seasons vs Nabi's two.  Ultimately the cool thing is we will find out when we see who is under center for the Bombers come early September.

I also still see people citing "character issues" without anything concrete being discussed as to what that means.  For all I know he could be a horrible teammate or player to coach but no one has put anything definitive out here on these internet streets.  If these character issues are so prevelant I'm surprised he was voted a team captain as a junior. 

Oline89

Quote from: RolandWest on April 11, 2019, 01:14:50 PM
Quote from: unionpalooza on April 11, 2019, 12:52:10 PM

There's no getting around Joe G played about as poorly as you could've against RPI.  However, using a one game sample size to determine player quality is obviously a little disingenuous.  I'm also unsure how the RPI defense would appropriately rate Nabi seeing that he did not play against RPI last year.  Going by career statistics it isn't particularly close, even going on a per game basis to account for Joe playing three seasons vs Nabi's two.  Ultimately the cool thing is we will find out when we see who is under center for the Bombers come early September.

I also still see people citing "character issues" without anything concrete being discussed as to what that means.  For all I know he could be a horrible teammate or player to coach but no one has put anything definitive out here on these internet streets.  If these character issues are so prevelant I'm surprised he was voted a team captain as a junior.

To tell you the truth, I am happy nobody is posting anything about character issues here.  The question of why he chose to leave a top 10 ranked program, where he was a captain, is perplexing.  Perhaps Ithaca offers  a major/grad degree that was not available at Brockport?  The fact is he made (at best) a lateral move in football quality to a team that has a QB (named all conference 2nd team has a Sophomore).

Bartman

So when did D3 Football become D1 Basketball as far as transfers? That said, Good luck to Joe Germinerio at Ithaca, although I have to say Nabi has been a solid performer for the Bombers, so it will be interesting to see what the final impact this transfer by Joe G has on the Bombers. See you at Butterfield in the Fall!
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bombers798891

Quote from: Bartman on April 14, 2019, 07:01:44 PM
So when did D3 Football become D1 Basketball as far as transfers? That said, Good luck to Joe Germinerio at Ithaca, although I have to say Nabi has been a solid performer for the Bombers, so it will be interesting to see what the final impact this transfer by Joe G has on the Bombers. See you at Butterfield in the Fall!

Eh, the two best players on IC's 1988 title team were transfers, as was IC's all-time leading rusher. It's happened

Bartman

Quote from: Bombers798891 on April 15, 2019, 11:14:51 AM
Quote from: Bartman on April 14, 2019, 07:01:44 PM

Eh, the two best players on IC's 1988 title team were transfers, as was IC's all-time leading rusher. It's happened
It is a bit different when the transfer was an All American and leaves his team with one year left in eligibility from a college that does have graduate programs available. It is possible that the choice was an academic graduate program preference, but there is probably a story here, for sure. From my view, it matters not , it is a free country, I do think Joe G could have a tremendous upside next season for the Bombers......I just hope he doesn't repeat another 24-27 passing performance against the Statesmen this fall :o
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Ice Bear

dlip hopes Nabi beats him out...just sayin ;)
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Bartman

Quote from: Dutch Boy on April 16, 2019, 11:32:04 AM
dlip hopes Nabi beats him out...just sayin ;)
Bartman agrees.........+k to the Dutchboy
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Oline89

I am anxious to hear from some of the Brockport faithful.  It does sound like the team has some good potential QB's, but losing an All American sure changes the team outlook (see Hobart 2018).

AUPepBand

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 11, 2019, 12:53:19 PM

Haha! Pat, Pep hasn't given you any karma in a long time. Perhaps it is germane(rio) at this time.
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

ITH radio

Coach DeWall has taken to Twitter to start introducing the incoming FY class who've committed to Hobart. Has released 16 of 26-30 (give or take) names this week already on his @Coach_DeWall handle. I have aggregated them on http://gohobart.blogspot.com as well.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Ralph Turner

I enjoyed the IntheD3FBHuddLLe podcast.

As for Louisiana College playing Stetson, I wonder if they just could not find an opponent.

With the restoration of the 10-team ASC football conference (adding associates Southwestern and Texas Lutheran), there are only 2 weekends to find a game, and there are not many options for the Wildcats for a non-conference game.

Former opponent Millsaps is playing cross-town rival Belhaven and Westminster MO, which is likely a more winnable game.

Former opponent Huntingdon is playing in-state rival Birmingham-Southern and Guilford. (Huntingdon probably wanted some variety.)

LaCollege played Wesley in 2014. (No rematch here.)

The recent other non-conference games have been against Alcorn State and several NAIA schools.

Out here on the archipelago, it is tough to find opponents that nearby and of similar mission and vision.

Thanks for the excellent podcast. (I am really looking forward to the Rowan Linfield game.)

UfanBill

Quote from: ITH radio on April 18, 2019, 12:23:43 PM
Coach DeWall has taken to Twitter to start introducing the incoming FY class who've committed to Hobart. Has released 16 of 26-30 (give or take) names this week already on his @Coach_DeWall handle. I have aggregated them on http://gohobart.blogspot.com as well.

Looking through the listed Hobart recruits and reading the blogspot I note that you say "I'm always a fan of Connecticut kids." Union coach Behrman is also findings quality newbies in the Nutmeg State. Here's the link again...https://unionathletics.com/news/2019/4/8/football-announces-incoming-class.aspx  Union has 10 first years coming to Schenectady From CT including three from two time state champ Daniel Hand High School. One of Hobart's recruits is also from Hand. They must have had quite a powerhouse.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳