Parents with children looking to play in D3

Started by K-Mack, November 09, 2005, 12:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

WLU78 and JacketsFan,
Sorry I had not seen your questions or had an opportunity to reply. This is definitely something I feel strongly about, and I'll always be willing to help where I can. Even if the final destination is not a D3 school, the big thing is to make sure you're picking your place for the right reasons. When I made my decision, I wasn't 100% sure, but in the end it worked out better than I could have imagined.

Tiger Dad, reading those old e-mails is interesting. I'm glad that we can all keep this out in the open; if the insight is really that helpful, no need to keep it between two people.

Except for TigerDad's son, I do not know or recall what became of any of the players or parents who have e-mailed me about D3. In the future though, now knowing we have some available parents who have been through the same thing, I will try and refer them as soon as I get the e-mail.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

OK everybody,
here's the first one from this season. The fellow says it's OK to post here ... so it's him, then my response, then him again.

If any of the parents you have been through something similar can help, post it here, or contact me for his e-mail address.

Quote-------------- Original message --------------

Hello Keith,
  My name is Mike [last name withheld].  I am 57 year old financial advisor in Shreveport, Louisiana. I am seeking your assistance please. I have a son, Jeremy, who has at least 2 years of college football eligibility remaining.  He recently decided he was missing playing college ball. He was Northwestern State (LA) for 2 years. He would have been a red-shirt sophomore backing up a  free safety  senior All- American and would have played considerably on special teams this season. However, we found out he had a ruptured disc in his lower back and to be quite honest, with a "lil" persuasion from his girlfriend transferred to Louisiana Tech. He played quarterback at C.E. Byrd (AAAAA) in high school. He was recruited as an athelete because of his height 5' 10". Some schools in the East did recruit him as a quarterback, Penn, Princeton, Bucknell, Columbia, Leheigh to name a few. Arkansas State recruited him as receiver so who knows what he should have played. I do know he wants to play qaurterback at the right place where the offensive philosophy is to spread it out and let the QB have the opportunity to run or throw. We are searching for the right place academically and atheletically. He is very bright kid...got it from his mom. He is quicker than he is fast with an above average arm. He is very, very good with his reads, coverages etc. Most say he is an outstanding leader on the field. If you know of any possiblity we could just look into we would appreciate it very much. If he cannot find the right fit at the D-3 level he may return the D-1AA or even D-1A as a possible walk-on receiver/free safety again.  If you do not have the time for this I understand. My cell phone is 318-[number withheld] if you do find the time and need to call. Anything suggestion from you again, will be greatly appreciated. 

With Regard, Mike [last name withheld]

p.s. Keith, Jeremy was highly thought of coming out of high school, but as I mentioned his height hurt him and as you well know not many places at the highest level for white defensive backs. Was considered by some to be at top 50 player in the state in 2004 and Rivals gave him a 2-star rating for what that is worth. He was invited to the Nike camp his junior and senior years. He is heavier now 186 but at the time ran his best 4.55 (40) 4.13 (pro agility), squats 515, benches 280-300. take care

----- Original Message -----
To: Michael
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: Looking to play in D3

Mike,
I can help, but there are a lot of questions you'd need to answer, like how far from home (or is that not an issue) he wants to go, what he wants to study, what you can afford (D3s will often put together a good need-based financial package, and assist good students, but no official athletic scholarships) & such.

The best bet is probably this: We have a pretty good online community on our message board. There's a thread I started a few years back solely dedicated to parents and players who aren't sure about D3. I get e-mails similar to yours a couple times a year, and instead of me rehashing the same answer, I can get more than one person to share their thoughts with you. Basically, it means I'll hook you up with some people who have gone through some similar experiences, we can point you in the right direction, and you and your son can make the decisions for yourselves.

Without knowing anything more than what you've told me though, I will say that being Louisiana puts you in relatively close proximity to a number of prominent D3 programs and some on-the-rise types that really like to throw the ball. If your son is dying to play quarterback and wants to stick with that, you are probably barking up the right tree. As far as height, 5-10 is not ideal, but not prohibitive either. Mary Hardin-Baylor, for instance, while not a pass-happy program, went to the Stagg Bowl (D3 national championship) a few years ago with 5-10 QB and still starts the same guy. So it can be done.

If you plan to stay relatively close to home and still want to attend a good school and hopefully get a chance to play, I would look at the American Southwest Conference schools and the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference. I could probably recommend some specific places, but it's better you to do it on your own, and it's better for me to stay impartial.

Let me know if it's OK to share this message publicly, or maybe a version of it with some of the identifying information and cell phone # taken out, and we'll get you pointed in the right direction and set up on the board.
--
Keith McMillan
D3football.com National Columnist
Keith@D3football.com

Quote----- Original Message -----
Thank you so much Keith. I mean that. We sincerely appreciate your time. We realize how busy you must be. It is OK to put this information on the message board.  Jeremy does desire to stay reasonably close to home.   I know a couple of  head coaches, but will take your advise as to how to proceed. Just let me know what you need or what our next step should be.   

Thanks again, Mike 

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Some more interesting posts on this topic on two threads under General Football:

Which D3 Football program to choose? (Chapman vs. Redlands)

and

Help choosing a school
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Bob Maxwell

Some great information in this thread... I wish that more parents, students and yes even high school coaches... would understand how great the D-III athletics program is.  And how it fits into the overall education of an individual.

It isn't about getting that "Athletic Scholarship" to BIG TIME U.... its about finding a place you fit in, getting a solid education with life long memories and friends, and preparing for life!

Great thread and a lot of great posts with good solid information.

K-Mack

Quote from: Bob Maxwell on June 02, 2007, 10:19:41 AMIt isn't about getting that "Athletic Scholarship" to BIG TIME U.... its about finding a place you fit in, getting a solid education with life long memories and friends, and preparing for life!

Could not have said it better myself.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

FootballFanatic

How does a student athlete obtain D3 academic rankings? Great education & football, doen's get better!!!
FootballFanatic!!!!!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: FootballFanatic on August 06, 2007, 08:16:41 AM
How does a student athlete obtain D3 academic rankings? Great education & football, doen's get better!!!
For all of the controversy that the US News and World Report's rankings have raised, that is a good place to start.  The Princeton Review is another.  Peterson's has another ranking service that is online.  The John Templeton Foundation emphasizes colleges of character.  Mother Jones might be on the other end of a spectrum.

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has an online compendium with the appropriate caveats.

I have not seen any of these break out NCAA Division III specifically.  You can use this site to evaluate the "football" credentials.  I hope this helps.  :)

Gray Fox

Quote from: FootballFanatic on August 06, 2007, 08:16:41 AM
Good school college advisers should be of some help.  Start with the academic side of the equation and then fit in football.

We are all fans of our schools/leagues, so you will get a biased view here.  There are many great schools that play d3 football.
Fierce When Roused

FootballFanatic

:) Thanks. I would like to here thoughts on what are the best ACADEMIC D3 schools .
FootballFanatic!!!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: FootballFanatic on August 06, 2007, 05:26:59 PM
Thanks. I would like to here thoughts on what are the best ACADEMIC D3 schools .

That's a dangerous question around here, but ultimately it depends on what sort of degree your kid wants.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

FootballFanatic

FootballFanatic!!!!!

Gray Fox

Quote from: FootballFanatic on August 06, 2007, 07:14:43 PM
He is extremely interested in medicine.
Where do you live?  Does he want to stay close to home?

There are many schools with great pre-med programs, but I think many medical schools will take a variety of majors.   Is your son going to be a senior this year?
Fierce When Roused

FootballFanatic

Senior , top 3 in 200 class at a highly competetive Jesuit school. Willing to go anywhere for great academics & ability to play.   Thanks
FootballFanatic!!!!!

Ralph Turner

Medicine...

There are three scenarios if he wants to combine D3 athletics and pre-med.

Case #1:  He is a 1600 SAT and is turning down Stanford, because they aren't D3.  

Strategy:  Get the best quality school that you can, because he may be considering a MD/PhD program and/or a top-flight medical school.  And remember that you are playing for all those years of schooling. (4 years college, 4 years med school, 4-7 years residency and/or 2-4 years of subspecialty fellowship).  He may not have his first real job until he is 33 or 35.  

Case #2:  1400 SAT.

Strategy:  May qualify for some type of full-tuition college academic scholarship, which should not be underestimated.  Will likely get to med school anyway.  About 10-12 years ago, in a study evaluating comparable MCAT/LSAT/GRE scores and GPA's, the time-cost-return on investment analysis showed that the MBA gave the best return on investment.  The law degree was a close second, and the MD was a distant third.  With an MBA, you are getting your first job at 24.  Law 25 or 26. Medicine, age 29-30 at the earliest with greater potential economic up-sides in the first two.  Stereotypical, white males are now a minority in medical school.  In fact, some medical specialties are recruiting them for their diversity value.

Case #3:  1200 SAT; very hard-working student.  Great people skills.  Everybody likes the kid because of how hard he works and what a "great kid" he is.

Strategy:  Find a smaller school where the individual attention from the faculty will reap the biggest rewards.  The 400th pre-med in the organic chemistry class with the "English- as- a-second- language" teaching assistant may be tough.  Who will miss the 400th pre-med wannabe at Big State U?  However, going to a smaller school where he is one of 5-6 pre-meds that year may provide the individual attention that he needs.  His faculty advisor's recommendation will be accurate, and his taking advantage of any opportunities for health-related summer employment, summer research, etc. will not go unnoticed.  Besides, the small school needs all of their qualified students to make it, so they will personally invest in him all their efforts to help him succeed.

Finally, have him major in what he likes.  Having a B.B.A. with pre-med qualifications is not that preposterous, whether he is figuring out how to keep on the lights at his 500-bed hospital under "nationalized" healthcare, or working for an HMO, or even in his own practice.

Just my opinion, but I hope that it helps. :)

I just read your profile.  Assuming you are an MD/DO, much of what I said is not new.

FootballFanatic

Great advice. He fits the #2& #3 criteria. He has already won a Cornell award so let's see what happens.
Thanks again
FootballFanatic!!!!!