FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Warhawk

Quote from: USTBench on December 06, 2012, 09:52:51 AM
Quote from: faunch on December 06, 2012, 08:28:42 AM
So let me understand this correctly....the 4th largest college/university in MN will play the 3rd largest college/university from the state of WI in the Division 3 Football Semifinals on Saturday?  Combined their enrollments total over 20,000.  God I love "small" college football!

This isn't going to devolve into the same old "UST is a big campus, they shouldn't be DIII" argument is it? Collge football is not high school football. It's very rare a player is plucked out of the talent pool that is the student body .  because some coach saw him playing pick-up basketball and thought he was a great athlete. Except maybe Steve Groth.

If I had a nickle for everytime we had to remind people of this on these boards....

::)

johnnie_esq

Thought I would repost this here to spur discussion, as apparently there is a lesser job open for some other team that wears red and white on Saturdays but is unfortunately located east of the St. Croix (that rules out Hamline, too!). 

QuoteMason on KFAN last night said that he had talked with Alvarez over the years about coaching positions. He basically said that Alvarez always has a couple of candidates in mind no matter the state of the program. Alvarez's quote was something to the effect of, "If you need a search committee to find a coach, you aren't doing your job as an athletic director. You need to be constantly scouting out new candidates and know what the national scene is like."

Not sure if that applies when your coach has been at your school for longer than your AD has been alive, but it does show exactly what the status of a modern AD's role is.

SJU Champions 2003 NCAA D3, 1976 NCAA D3, 1965 NAIA, 1963 NAIA; SJU 2nd Place 2000 NCAA D3; SJU MIAC Champions 2018, 2014, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991, 1989, 1985, 1982, 1979, 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1971, 1965, 1963, 1962, 1953, 1938, 1936, 1935, 1932

sjusection105

Quote from: johnnie_esq on December 06, 2012, 09:59:34 AM
Thought I would repost this here to spur discussion, as apparently there is a lesser job open for some other team that wears red and white on Saturdays but is unfortunately located east of the St. Croix (that rules out Hamline, too!). 

QuoteMason on KFAN last night said that he had talked with Alvarez over the years about coaching positions. He basically said that Alvarez always has a couple of candidates in mind no matter the state of the program. Alvarez's quote was something to the effect of, "If you need a search committee to find a coach, you aren't doing your job as an athletic director. You need to be constantly scouting out new candidates and know what the national scene is like."

Not sure if that applies when your coach has been at your school for longer than your AD has been alive, but it does show exactly what the status of a modern AD's role is.

This is the model followed by successful business managers for as long as I can remember (and I'm older than dirt)
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

Walter Eagle

Quote from: stormyfuture on December 06, 2012, 09:06:24 AM
undergraduate/graduate student numbers at both

(UST)
6,336/3,980
(UWO)
12,232/1,229
Other than players...number of UST students that have any interest in football....maybe 100.

WashedUp

So let me understand this correctly....the 4th largest college/university in MN will play the 3rd largest college/university from the state of WI in the Division 3 Football Semifinals on Saturday?  Combined their enrollments total over 20,000.  God I love "small" college football!

You're right, we should even things out and trade Oshkosh with a smaller college's program, like Notre Dame or Stanford.
MIAC Champions: 1924, 1992

02 Warhawk

Quote from: WashedUp on December 06, 2012, 10:53:21 AM

You're right, we should even things out and trade Oshkosh with a smaller college's program, like Notre Dame or Stanford.

+K

Then we can trade their basketball program with Duke's

USTBench

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on December 06, 2012, 11:02:39 AM
Quote from: WashedUp on December 06, 2012, 10:53:21 AM

+K

Then we can trade their basketball program with Duke's

It's so unfair Wake Forest has to play Florida St. in basketball.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

sfury

I don't like the search committee idea either, but, devil's advocate: If people have doubts about the person who would be solely in charge of the selection (A.D.), could a committee help alleviate those concerns?

And Rev, I realize I might be in the minority (judging on Oz's unskewed poll), but I think the idea of wiping the slate clean is ridiculous. Sounds like Eric Mangini ordering the Cleveland Browns to get rid of the murals depicting past franchise legends because a new sheriff was in town (I know, I'm mixing and matching my egomaniac NFL coaches and how they cleaned house).

Nothing personal, just business.

That's a great line for a future mafia godfather with a broken jaw who's telling his brothers that he's going to shoot a NYC police captain and the Turk because they tried to assassinate his father out on the streets, but I'm not sure I see the appeal of it for a D3 football program with a great tradition.

Of course a coach should have his own beliefs and own style and all that and Gagliardi I'm sure would be first to say a coach has to follow his own heart and use his own skills, just like he did. But there's a big difference between having a coach with his own ideas and wiping away everything from the past. If you're taking over Trinity Bible (hey), great. St. John's? I don't see the need.

Because what you're describing sounds like something that leads to the new guy coming in for 5 years and then he leaves and another new guy comes in and does away with the past and is there for three years and then moves on and another new guy comes in and does away with the past and then a new guy comes in and says let's reconnect to the past and then he leaves after four years and the new guy comes in and says let's get rid of the old ways and on and on.

The St. John's football tradition doesn't have to be a concrete block tied around the new coach holding him down -- it can be the foundation to whatever comes next in Collegeville.

hazzben

Why clean house with every single assistant. This assumes they are all garbage or unable to adapt to new management. If I'm the new guy, I definitely want some say in who I hire. But I'm not so foolish as to think some of these coaches would be key assets in bridging the two eras, not to mention gifted coaches. This would seem like a knee jerk, over-reaction to me.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on December 06, 2012, 09:55:54 AM

This isn't going to devolve into the same old "UST is a big campus, they shouldn't be DIII" argument is it? Collge football is not high school football. It's very rare a player is plucked out of the talent pool that is the student body .  because some coach saw him playing pick-up basketball and thought he was a great athlete. Except maybe Steve Groth.

If I had a nickle for everytime we had to remind people of this on these boards....

Notre Dame has fewer than 8500 students and is playing for the national championship in D1 against Alabama who enrolled over 6500 freshman and has a total enrollment of almost 35,000.  At the collegiate level enrollment approaches meaninglessness.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

tommiegun

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on December 06, 2012, 11:44:42 AM

Notre Dame has fewer than 8500 students and is playing for the national championship in D1 against Alabama who enrolled over 6500 freshman and has a total enrollment of almost 35,000.  At the collegiate level enrollment approaches meaninglessness.

I'm sure you've heard this argument before, but isn't it a huge advantage to the large DIII institutions in Wisconsin that there is virtually no DII presence in the state (i.e. its Madison or DIII)?

AO

Quote from: tommiegun on December 06, 2012, 11:48:22 AM

I'm sure you've heard this argument before, but isn't it a huge advantage to the large DIII institutions in Wisconsin that there is virtually no DII presence in the state (i.e. its Madison or DIII)?
70% of St. Thomas players had a scholarship offer according to Caruso.  There are 18 d3 football schools in Wis. vs 15 in Minnesota.  There's also a large number of Wisconsin kids coming to Minnesota to play d2 football.

Hamline could probably perceive a disadvantage, but you'd have to add that to the already long list of disadvantages that program is up against.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: tommiegun on December 06, 2012, 11:48:22 AM

Yes, but that has nothing to do with enrollment size. DIII schools in WI do have an advantage because - outside of Madison - there isn't any other place to play college football. Unless you want to go to Minny-SO-ta or Illin-oiz

Wisconsin College Football Programs
1 DI program (Madison)
0 DII programs
0 NAIA programs
18 DIII programs

Retired Old Rat

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Pat Coleman

Quote from: johnnie_esq on December 06, 2012, 09:59:34 AM

I was not aware River Falls was looking again. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.