WBB: NESCAC

Started by Senator Frost, March 12, 2005, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Some interesting scheduling by Coach G for the Lady Jeffs.  Game on Monday with Albright, followed with a trip to LI to play Farmingdale College.  In both wins in back to back games, the young players got a lot of time on the floor...giving the starters a rest.  Back to back games begin this weekend at Wes and Conn.  Both are conference counting away games.  Travel involved but both should be short day trips.   Early part of the week games served to get Amherst to the upcoming back to back Nescac games, imo.  Post season games are also back to back games for the most part.

Oops, the games this weekend are in LeFrak.  The MBB games are in CT...back to back conf. Games this season.

ronk

Quote from: amh63 on January 11, 2017, 02:48:34 PM
Some interesting scheduling by Coach G for the Lady Jeffs.  Game on Monday with Albright, followed with a trip to LI to play Farmingdale College.  In both wins in back to back games, the young players got a lot of time on the floor...giving the starters a rest.  Back to back games begin this weekend at Wes and Conn.  Both are conference counting away games.  Travel involved but both should be short day trips.  Early part of the week games served to get Amherst to the upcoming back to back Nescac games, imo.  Post season games are also back to back games for the most part.

I think you've analyzed GP's MO correctly. Nothing gets by him in prep for the big dance.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The saying in the NFL is: "on any given Sunday." The idea being that anyone can win a game no matter the match up because, well, things happen. The same could be true in Division III basketball. On any given night, someone will pull off an upset. And in some weeks we see multiple upsets.

What to make of it all? Tune into Sunday's edition of Hoopsville as Dave tries to make sense of most of it with guests from around the country who can provide their insight.

Also on tap for tonight, can Amherst women run the table? What to make of William Peace men's basketball. And why one coach is highly regarded in the Chinese-American culture.

Tune in starting at 7:00 PM ET here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/jan15 - or via Facebook Live. If you can't watch the show live, you can catch up On Demand once it is off the air or download the podcast via SoundCloud or iTunes.

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- G.P. Gromacki, No. 2 Amherst women's head coach
- Claude Shields, William Peace men's coach
- Carol Jue, Chapman women's coach - WBCA Center Court
- Mark Beinborn, Augustana women's coach
- Ira Thor, New Jersey City SID - Atlantic Regional Reporter

And don't forget about the Hoopsville Mailbag segment! Email questions you may have to the show at hoopsville@d3hoops.com and we will answer them tonight or on a future show.

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NE Jeffs Fan

Excellent interview with Coach Gromacki. I totally agree with him that this is the best team he's had in a few years.... In my opinion, the best since his National Championship team.  Good to hear about the positive team chemistry, although what else is he going to say.  Anyway, all the talent in the world won't mean a thing if they don't get along, like to play together, and accept their role on the team.  They are fun to watch, whether in person or on a computer screen.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NE Jeffs Fan on January 16, 2017, 06:10:01 PM
Excellent interview with Coach Gromacki. I totally agree with him that this is the best team he's had in a few years.... In my opinion, the best since his National Championship team.  Good to hear about the positive team chemistry, although what else is he going to say.  Anyway, all the talent in the world won't mean a thing if they don't get along, like to play together, and accept their role on the team.  They are fun to watch, whether in person or on a computer screen.

Thanks for tuning in... I enjoy chatting with Coach Gromacki, but sometimes I wish we could get a little more out of him. LOL He tends to be the shortest-answer guest we have on all year. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 17, 2017, 03:35:26 PM

Thanks for tuning in... I enjoy chatting with Coach Gromacki, but sometimes I wish we could get a little more out of him. LOL He tends to be the shortest-answer guest we have on all year. :)

GP might have had a longer response to my comments if I had gotten them to you before the interview :) I razzed him at a summer AAU tourney about the subject. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: ronk on January 17, 2017, 04:22:41 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 17, 2017, 03:35:26 PM

GP might have had a longer response to my comments if I had gotten them to you before the interview :) I razzed him at a summer AAU tourney about the subject.

That or shorter answers because he doesn't want to give anything away. LOL

7express

Where is the Tufts game this year, MA or at home in Amherst??  And I think Amherst will beat them anyways no matter where it takes place.

PolarBearPA

Got to see them last night at Bowdoin. Extremely impressive team. Bowdoin took Tufts to the wire at Tufts and Amherst made it look easy against Bowdoin in their Gym. I think Amherst has to be the league favorite. They distributed the ball extremely well and made it look easy while making it extremely difficult for Bowdoin on the defensive end. Hats off to Amherst!

Maine 1

I would agree with the post that this is a much better Amherst team than the past few years.  It appears that there is much more depth, as they are playing 7 or 8 regularly, and getting scoring from a number of places.  This is very much like the very deep  2009-2013 teams.  I was actually a bit surprised by the size of the win against Bowdoin.
After watching a few different teams, this looks like an overall down year in the NESCAC.  Williams is not a good team, and I don't see the Connecticut teams being very competitive against the top three (Amherst, Tufts and Bowdoin).  I haven't seen Middlebury yet. 
Amherst I believe plays at Tufts.  That will be a good game because both teams play great defense.

amh63

Been watching D1 BB....fan of ACC men's and UConn women's Basketball.  Not much D3 BB lately.  In any case, the rare games have been the Amherst WBB team.  This season it appears Coach GP...I prefer Coach G...does have a deep team.  His FYs have been getting playing time and contributing.  He started the season with two front court players out with injuries, one a FY. 
A little perspective of Coach G's teams the last few years.  In those years, the Amherst team lost key front court players late in the season due to injuries.  Last season, some talented young players were lost due to injuries.  Such players provided rest for the starters.
This season, a D1 front court player was added to a group of talented FYs that included two front court players.  Ronk is aware of the talent level of the FYs brought aboard.  Yes, in the games I have watched...like the Bowdoin and Williams  games, it did not matter, home or away...they were 20 plus wins.  The rotation of players allowed starters to be well rested for the 4 th quarter if needed.  In back to back Nescac games scheduling, the starters are well rested for the next day's game.
I have checked the play of Tufts against common opponents and it is encouraging.  However, it is just that....comparing scores can be misleading since player match ups are key. 
7Express maybe correct.  However, if one goes back just to last season....Tufts beat Amherst in LeFrak by 1point and stopped Amherst record breaking homecourt winning streak.  Amherst broke UConn' s record and got a congrat from Coach Gino A. Of UConn.  Amherst got " revenge" by beating Tufts in Cousen by 1 point for the Nescac title. 
Both teams lost to the National Title winner in the Final 4.  I believe Tufts ranking is due to the fact they lost in the Finals and Amherst in the semis.  In any case , this year's game in Cousen will be a battle and will determine which team will host the CAC  Tourny.  . 

NE Jeffs Fan

What has happened to Williams?  Each Amherst/Williams game used to be so close with a packed gym.  Empty tonight, and Amherst seems to be on the way to another blow out. 

amh63

NE Jeffs Fan....many reasons, imo.  It was a midweek game that did not count in the conference race.  It is also semester break time and students are elsewhere.  Yes it is Amherst vs Williams....however unlike the years when you followed the battles more closely...the games have not been competitive.  The game at Amherst was Even more of a blowout. The home fans on a cold night maybe watching online.  It used to be that the women and men games were played together in one place.  Now they are split.  The men's team was in LeFrak...better crowd at Amherst but lack of Williams student in the stands.  Both Williams teams are rebuilding.  In addition, the women side games are dominated by Tufts and Amherst...no.1 and no. 2 in the national rankings.  Amherst has been blowing almost everyone out these days...not a fun time for any home crowd. 

NE Jeffs Fan

I knew all that....students not back yet...teams split (which I, too, dislike)....I was wondering if any Eph fan out there could give us some insight into recruiting the past year or so, and what they see or hear about coming along.  Some teams do rebuild.  Amherst, like Kentucky men's bball, UConn women's bball, Clemson football....just reload.  Seem to come up each year with freshmen that can make a difference that play well with the seasoned juniors and seniors.  Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer.  Having watch NESCAC bball for over 15 years, I find it kind of sad as I always looked forward to both games each year.