MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefan

Albert,

You inquired as to whether anyone was surprised by John Carroll's success or Cap's ranking.....I say hell yes to both!!
I never expected JC to be this deep into  the season with only two OAC losses. ONU handled them with little trouble at home but got handled themselves at John Carroll....I still believe Cap is overachieving. I don,t think they are a top ten team and I will be very surprised if they manage to win the OAC tournament...We shall see...

albertjackson

Wasn't able to catch any games last night., but I see Muskingum and BW continue to disappoint. MT. may not make tournament with their plunge - I dont expect them to win again as I look at their schedule. Otterbein not out of race with their win in Bera, just yet, - BIG game vs the Berg Saturday. I'm as surprised by JCU's 13 game winning "BlueStreak" as I am by BW's dismal season. Ive seen everybody at least once and I liked BW's team. They played Capital tough early and should have won. They just dont seem able to win close ball games. As the season winds down - I have my All-Conference picks, POY and COY. COY easy M&M (Mike Moran). POY Mr. Haynes - undersized, under appreciated at season's start. Not sure how OAC does All-Conference so I'm picking the Top 20. In Team order: JCU -Kirbus, Haynes, Zajac. Capital: Wodd, Stahl, Mitchell, ONU: Meyer, Bastian, Cannan, Brown. Wilmington: Gaines and Rogers ( Ledford 1st gut left out). Marietta: Halter. Muskingum: Felt and Scott. MT. Switzer and Pellerite. Heidelberg: Kinn. BW: Bene. Otterbein: Pollack. Hope this helps stir up some conversation as we enter the post-season!

jcu_fan

I've been enjoying watching JCU this year, especially seeing the emergence of the second line.  With 4 freshmen and a sophomore getting all that playing time, it bodes well for the future.  The first line doesn't have any seniors either.  Both lines flat out hustle, all game.  They've bought into Moran's system and it's paying some dividends.

The second line is definately undersized which could be a problem once the regular season's over, but in Moran's system, it functions almost like a "change of pace running back."  Maybe their versatility will pay off.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: albertjackson on February 08, 2009, 11:40:10 PMI just realized Otterbein beat my ol college on saturday night. I guess it doesn't surprise me! When was the last time we were any good? I'll answer that - when we had Shipp and Richards. Of course it doesn't help when kids transfer out or quit the team year after year. Seriously, isn't it time Mt. Union do something to become competitive in the OAC!

I've been asking this for years.  I was afraid that little 3 year stretch in the early 00's starting w/ the younger Richards where they won 18 each yr would buy him a few more years and it has.  I ask the same thing over on the baseball board and that is how many years being a .500 program is enough?  The coaches have been there well over a decade each and their winning % is still hovering just over .500.  I could even take being .500 overall if it's because you're really down a couple years playing young guys and then make a run at an OAC title their Jr/Sr years.  But that's not what's happening.  I don't think MUC has finished higher than 3rd in the OAC since the Shipp/Richards team.  That was the mid 90's!!!  Just frustrates me.   

OAC Fan

Dr. Acula:

Good point on Mount Basketball...How about the game on STO today vs. Wilmington. They have a player on the bench in street clothes wearing a backwards Cincinnati Reds hat. On the bench and in the huddle! Are you kidding me!? Are the inmates running the prison? Another kid was wearing jeans, and they were halfway up his ass.  Have some class and teach these kids how the real world works. Classy.

Dr. Acula

I saw that OAC Fan.  Not sure in what capacity they were associated with the team.  If they're players, then at least put on your warm ups.  If not, then put on a shirt and tie.  If you're a recruit, then what are you doing in the huddle?  Honestly I didn't give it a second thought because I was too busy watching all the wheels falling off the Raiders' wagon.  I watched the entire game and Joe Tait was dead on when he said both coaches were concerned about their defense.  They should be!  And I'm not picking on one squad more than the other.  Neither one could get a stop in the half court when they needed it.  It just stood out more from MUC because 1) I'm a MUC guy 2) They had the lead.  Between the Raiders inability to get any type of stop on D and their inconsistent handling of the Quakers full court pressure down the stretch Coach Hood had to be upset with the final 6 minutes.  That was just a tough loss to swallow. 

Dr. Acula

I feel like I need to post something positive since I was a little bitter about the lack of D in that last post.  So I'll give you my Player of the Game for each squad.

Wilm:  RJ Brown.  He didn't lead them in scoring or rebounding, but he just played a very complete game.  15 pts, 5 reb, 5 steals, 3 assists, 0 TO.   

MUC: Chris Switzer.  Career high 31 pts on a very impressive 11/18 shooting.  Also had 7 reb, 2 steals, 2 assists and 5/6 FT.

Runner up: Kevin Colson, Wilm. 

albertjackson

Watched the RAIDERS collapse on STO. Terrible shot selection and decision making down the stretch. And Amen! One Fan - What's the deal with wearing a ball cap on the bench. The youngman in question had the Purple Raider warm-up on, so I have to assume it was a player. Just one more thing to scratch your head about when it comes to MT. U Basketball. Again - I cant say I'm surprised. I saw Marietta at JCU in what appears to be 2 teams destined for future great match-ups and perhaps league supremacy. JCU's pressure and couple of experienced players too much for the Pioneers this season. I see the Berg beat Otterbein to clinch the last tournament spot. They lose any tie-breakers with Mt. because they lost to Raiders both times. Otterbein now tied with BW for last place and as the 2 teams who's season ends next saturday. Muskie bounces back from loss to Marietta to beat BW at home. So there's still a battle between Muskingum and Marietta for 5-6th place. JCU has underachieving BW at home and at Wilmington to end the season. The JCU - BW game has been a great match-up since moran came to University Hts - but I'm not sure the YellowJackets have adjusted to Coach Sheldon's system enough to win this one, (Or maybe he hasn't adjusted to his new players) either way it remains a rivalry and BW's pride is on the line, dont expect Beane & Company to just lie down.  And yes I'm still saying ONU is a great pick for tournament champions, but i've over hyped Northern before only to be let down. Anyelse have OAC post season predictions?! Anyone??!!

Dr. Acula

I like JCU, then ONU in the OAC tourney.  I'm not sold on Cap for some reason.  I've seen them 3 times this year and walked away unimpressed each time (Note: I mean unimpressed relative to their record/ranking, not unimpressed in that I think they aren't good or don't have talent).  Obviously they're good, their record shows that much.  I can't put my finger on it, but they just didn't play like a championship team if that makes sense.  The games I've seen they had these lapses where they just played poorly for a while, let an inferior team hang around longer than they should, but ultimately won because they're good.  That formula just doesn't sit well with me come tourney time.  Of course if they win the tourney I'll just edit this post to say something like "I love Cap, they're gritty and just find ways to win close games." 

onefan

I would have to agree that John Carroll is probably the team to beat in the tournament. I also don't feel Cap is as good as their ranking would indicate. I have seen them only twice this season, but came away both times wonderiing how they won the game and how they continue to win, but they do, so there is obviously something going on with this team that I certainly don't see. As to the tournament, I don't see Cap, John Carroll or ONU losing in the first round...Wilmington is another story...They won by three twice over the Muskies, and had a three point and I believe a six or seven point win over Marietta. It depends on which team shows up in the tournament. I really don't see ONU losing to Cap again if they meet...The Bears got beat at Cap in OT and once again by four this past Saturday in Ada, but as they say, it is tough to beat a team three times in one season. All things considered, I see JC advancing to the NCAA tournament, but that is why they play the games, right?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: onefan on February 15, 2009, 05:18:55 PMThe Bears got beat at Cap in OT and once again by four this past Saturday in Ada, but as they say, it is tough to beat a team three times in one season.

No offense, onefan, but that is the dumbest cliche in sports. Do people really think through the implications of that cliche whenever they cite it?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Basketball23

Now that Heidelberg has clinched a tourney spot I feel like I can comment on other teams. No one wants to hear from the guy who's team doesnt even make the tourney. As far as Mount is concerned I to have wondered to myself how they are consistently at the bottom of the leauge standings. They have nice athletic facilities unlike Wilmington and the Berg and are in a great location unlike ONU, Musky, and Marietta. However, they still get consistently out recruited and out played by all of these schools through recent years (except maybe Marietta). Does being known as a football school really hurt them that much? Or is it the coaching staff and their recruiting plan?

As far as the tourney is concerned you have to have JCU as the favorite. They play very hard and are a legitametly 12 deep. The only thing to count against them is their youth come big games in the tournament. In my opinion Cap is next. I've seen them several times over the last 3 years and I have no idea why people on this board do not consider them an elite team. I do not know what else they have to do to prove they are legit. To this point only losing 5 OAC games the last two seasons is remarkable.

I also was wondering if anyone knows if their is any truth to the rumor that Wood broke his nose and has to wear a mask for the rest of the season? I saw he played 24mins on sat. and went 1-3 from the field and 1-2 from the FT line to finish with 3pts 2 TO's and 4 fouls. A very unlike Wood stat line to say the least. If he isnt healthy that could be a big blow to them. If he is hurt ONU could have a shot. ONU is a very good team but they let you down every year, I dont see why this year is any different.

The OAC tourney teams are decided but their still a lot to play for as far as seeding is concerned. CAP is only a game behind JCU and the streaks still have to go to Wilmington, maybe the toughest place to play in the leauge. Correct me if i'm wrong but i think CAP holds the tiebreaker via 2 wins over ONU? Speaking of ONU and the Quakers they are tied for the 3 seed. Not sure who holds the tiebreaker there. Musky and Marietta are with striking distance of each other for the 5 and 6 seeds. Finally the Princes and MUC are tied for 7th but Mount holds the tiebreaker. Mount finishes with Nothern at home and @ Marietta while the Berg has Cap and Musky at home. A lot should be known by wednesday night at around 930. Should be an interesting finish!

Good Players practice until they get it right, Great Players practice until they can't get it wrong.

David Collinge

Quote from: Basketball23 on February 16, 2009, 02:42:51 PM
Now that Heidelberg has clinched a tourney spot I feel like I can comment on other teams. No one wants to hear from the guy who's team doesnt even make the tourney.

I do.  I want to hear from guys who support each of the ten teams.  Twenty teams, if you count the women.  :)

billy the kid

Well, the National Championship banner is beginning to get dusty at Otterbein. Last home is Wednesday, but no seniors on the team. With an offense of Pollack to the right, Pollack to the left and Pollack down the middle and true lack of speed and size on defense  leaves this team totally deserving of its last place finish in the OAC.  With 3 freshmen starters, including point guard and an undersized post player(6'3), will this team improve next year? Will the 2 biggest players(6'7 and 6'6) improve enough to be a factor..Can Coach Reynolds get them out of the basement or is he thinking about retirement??
OFFENSE IS EXCITING...DEFENSE WINS GAMES.....REBOUNDING WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS                                                                    ...

onefan

GS,

No offense taken, but with all due respect it is not even close to the dumbest cliche in sports. To be more precise, in my opinion, CAP and ONU are so evenly matched, the more often they play, the higher the liklihood that the wins and losses are going to even out. CAP has an OT win and a four point win this season over the Bears. Both games could have gone the other way. As to thinking through the implications of the cliche, yes, people do think through them. Beating an opponent three times in a season that is evenly matched with you is difficult to do. Beating them twice is also difficult, but with each ensuing meeting the odds of emerging victorious are reduced. That was the point of the comment.