MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toph

Quote from: hasanova on March 09, 2009, 10:36:04 AM
Quote from: jcu_fan on March 07, 2009, 09:51:48 PM
Who are the best teams with big players left in the tourney?
Guilford's pretty good ... and their center, Tyler Sanborn, is 6'10"/235.  He was former DIII POY Ben Strong's back-up his freshman year, then they started side-by-side during Sanborn's sophomore season.  This season, his junior year, Tyler's really come into his own as a great player.  It certainly helps that Guilford's starting guards, Henson and Bonner, are averaging over 19 and 16 ppg, respectively ... you can't collapse inside on Sanborn because the guards are great outside shooters.

6'10" 235 is big!!  I was concerned that if JCU made it deep, their lack of size could end up hurting them.  Without having seen Guilford, I've only been able to look at their stats.  They look very tough.  As usual, it seems the biggest advantage JCU is going to have is "The System."  I've never seen a team (and I had the pleasure of seeing the Final Four run and the Sweet Sixteen season after it firsthand) buy in like these young guys have this season.  They truly "play to exhaustion" as Moran loves to say like these guys.

Having the home crowd shouldn't hurt either.  I'm looking forward to a great pair of games Friday...and hopefully I'll be coming back Saturday to watch the Streaks in the Elite 8. 

hasanova

Quote from: Toph on March 09, 2009, 01:06:27 PM
Guilford's pretty good ... and their center, Tyler Sanborn, is 6'10"/235.  He was former DIII POY Ben Strong's back-up his freshman year, then they started side-by-side during Sanborn's sophomore season.  This season, his junior year, Tyler's really come into his own as a great player.  It certainly helps that Guilford's starting guards, Henson and Bonner, are averaging over 19 and 16 ppg, respectively ... you can't collapse inside on Sanborn because the guards are great outside shooters.

6'10" 235 is big!!  I was concerned that if JCU made it deep, their lack of size could end up hurting them.  Without having seen Guilford, I've only been able to look at their stats.  They look very tough.  As usual, it seems the biggest advantage JCU is going to have is "The System."  I've never seen a team (and I had the pleasure of seeing the Final Four run and the Sweet Sixteen season after it firsthand) buy in like these young guys have this season.  They truly "play to exhaustion" as Moran loves to say like these guys.

Having the home crowd shouldn't hurt either.  I'm looking forward to a great pair of games Friday...and hopefully I'll be coming back Saturday to watch the Streaks in the Elite 8. 
As I posted on the ODAC board, Guilford's had a fair amount of experience defending "the System."  Until this season, Emory & Henry used it for years.  In one memorable game a few years back, Guilford won 148-137 in regulation at E&H when the Wasps attempted 93 three-pointers and the Quakers attempted zero.  What a statistical anomaly!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: hasanova on March 09, 2009, 02:53:03 PM
Quote from: Toph on March 09, 2009, 01:06:27 PM

As I posted on the ODAC board, Guilford's had a fair amount of experience defending "the System."  Until this season, Emory & Henry used it for years.  In one memorable game a few years back, Guilford won 148-137 in regulation at E&H when the Wasps attempted 93 three-pointers and the Quakers attempted zero.  What a statistical anomaly!

JCU doesn't use the Grinnell System; my understanding is that E&H used a modified version of Grinnell's System.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

Yeah, John Carroll's "system" shouldn't be mistaken for The System.

Perhaps required listening for people facing JCU this weekend, my Hoopsville interview with Mike Moran from last month:

http://www.d3hoops.com/audio/09/hoopsville/moran020509.mp3
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hasanova

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 09, 2009, 03:02:29 PM

Perhaps required listening for people facing JCU this weekend, my Hoopsville interview with Mike Moran from last month:

Interesting interview.  Thanks.  By looking at their scores and types of shots, I hadn't really confused JCU's platoon system with the Grinnell System, but thanks for the added clarification.

ScotsFan

Quote from: hasanova on March 09, 2009, 03:37:59 PM

Interesting interview.  Thanks.  By looking at their scores and types of shots, I hadn't really confused JCU's platoon system with the Grinnell System, but thanks for the added clarification.
I would liken JCU's system as more akin to lines in a hockey game.  Moran will ususally substitute five at a time much like a hockey team changing lines.  That's my over simplified version anyways...  :P

hasanova

Quote from: ScotsFan on March 09, 2009, 05:40:35 PM
Quote from: hasanova on March 09, 2009, 03:37:59 PM

I would liken JCU's system as more akin to lines in a hockey game.  Moran will ususally substitute five at a time much like a hockey team changing lines.  That's my over simplified version anyways...  :P
It may be simple, but hockey's exactly the example Moran used to describe it.  :)

hasanova

Just curious - are there audio and video feeds coming out of the JCU sectional this weekend?

JK

Quote from: hasanova on March 09, 2009, 10:14:08 PM
Just curious - are there audio and video feeds coming out of the JCU sectional this weekend?

Capital's games will be broadcast on a local COlumbus Radio Station and simulcast on the web.  They do it for all football and basketball and some baseball games.

Visit www.capitalcrusaders.net for more info.  The links should be up by Wednesday-ish.  You may have to install realplayer if you don't already have it.  It's all there and all free.  I've listened to football games for years and the stretch internet service is pretty reliable.

However, that is only going to get you the Capital game.  Toph would be a good person to let you know about JCU's offerings.  He, if I remember correctly, was somehow involved in JCU's radio station as an undergrad.

jcu_fan

Quote from: JK on March 09, 2009, 11:37:03 PM

.  Toph would be a good person to let you know about JCU's offerings.  He, if I remember correctly, was somehow involved in JCU's radio station as an undergrad.

www.wjcu.org

That's JCU's radio station.  They'll be broadcasting it on the net, it looks like.  They haven't put up the schedule yet.  Keep an eye on their site.

Pat Coleman

D3hoops.com will be broadcasting audio of all three games at the sectional. Dave McHugh will be on the call. This isn't one of the sites the NCAA was looking at sending a video crew to, though that has not been formally announced.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hasanova

jcu_fan and Pat Coleman, thanks for the information.

newtothegame

can anyone tell me how Capital and UTD Matchup?  I could not find a lot of info for the UTD team, but the beat Trinity pretty handily.

ScotsFan

Quote from: newtothegame on March 10, 2009, 11:21:30 PM
can anyone tell me how Capital and UTD Matchup?  I could not find a lot of info for the UTD team, but the beat Trinity pretty handily.
I was going to tell you to check out the ASC room, but there doesn't seem to be much activity going on over there at all...  :-\

From what I did read, it looks like the Comets can play some defense.  In their game vs. Trinity in the last round, UT-D trailed 19-12 in the 1st half.  They then changed to more of a trapping defense and outscored Trinity 58-35 the rest of the way. 

One interesting score I saw was that they beat Guilford 64-48.  But that was back in November and judging by the fact that Guilford has made it to the round of 16, I'd say they might be playing a little better basketball now than they were back in November...

I would normally say that Cap should have the home court advantage as far as fan support goes, which should help.  But seeing as how Wooster's fans outdrew Cap's fans in their own gym, I'm wondering how many will actually make the trek up to the Heights to support their team...

hasanova

Quote from: ScotsFan on March 11, 2009, 11:13:02 AM
Quote from: newtothegame on March 10, 2009, 11:21:30 PM
I was going to tell you to check out the ASC room, but there doesn't seem to be much activity going on over there at all...  :-\

From what I did read, it looks like the Comets can play some defense.  In their game vs. Trinity in the last round, UT-D trailed 19-12 in the 1st half.  They then changed to more of a trapping defense and outscored Trinity 58-35 the rest of the way. 

One interesting score I saw was that they beat Guilford 64-48.  But that was back in November and judging by the fact that Guilford has made it to the round of 16, I'd say they might be playing a little better basketball now than they were back in November...

I would normally say that Cap should have the home court advantage as far as fan support goes, which should help.  But seeing as how Wooster's fans outdrew Cap's fans in their own gym, I'm wondering how many will actually make the trek up to the Heights to support their team...
Guilford actually led that game fairly late in the second half, but ended up going cold and losing on UT-D's home court.  It was part of a classic where the Quakers played UT-Tyler the night before in the same venue.  It's interesting to note that UT-D Coach Butterfield and GC Coach Palombo knew each other from their days of being the men's and women's coaches, respectively, at Virginia Vesleyan.